The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Turning up the volume (Proposals ?)

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We give up a lot here.  And all we get back is an elephant with big ears, and a Sucker, who got eats fists?  Just say NO. 

Zucker is believed to have Vancouver on his no trade.  There are lot of teams interested in Zucker and an executive was recently saying they can get a 1st for him without taking a cap dump back.   

Boeser's production would drop in Minnesota - they have no playmaking Cs.  It's not a smart trade for them.  Guerin is not looking to move Dumba but he knows very well that you need a C1 to compete.  It's going to be more in the vein of a Jones for Johansen type trade.  Either a young C1 or draft picks/high end prospects who have the potential to become a C1.   Guerin doesn't want to move things around just to move things around.  Guerin talked about that.  Their group is very tight and Guerin says he's not looking to move players unless it makes their team stronger going forward.  Adding Boeser but removing Dumba wouldn't.  

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Zucker is believed to have Vancouver on his no trade.  There are lot of teams interested in Zucker and an executive was recently saying they can get a 1st for him without taking a cap dump back.   

Boeser's production would drop in Minnesota - they have no playmaking Cs.  It's not a smart trade for them.  Guerin is not looking to move Dumba but he knows very well that you need a C1 to compete.  It's going to be more in the vein of a Jones for Johansen type trade.  Either a young C1 or draft picks/high end prospects who have the potential to become a C1.   Guerin doesn't want to move things around just to move things around.  Guerin talked about that.  Their group is very tight and Guerin says he's not looking to move players unless it makes their team stronger going forward.  Adding Boeser but removing Dumba wouldn't.  

They also have been complaining a lot about the goaltending as being the biggest let down, this season Dubnyk has really stumbled so a goalie sweetener might turn the screw, Markstrom, 4th round pick and Boeser for their 1rst, Dumba and Greenway or some combination. Boeser is still a Minnesota boy

18 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

They also have been complaining a lot about the goaltending as being the biggest let down, this season Dubnyk has really stumbled so a goalie sweetener might turn the screw, Markstrom, 4th round pick and Boeser for their 1rst, Dumba and Greenway or some combination. Boeser is still a Minnesota boy

Markstrom is a UFA.  He has no trade value for a team outside of the playoffs.  The Wild also have Kakhonen who showed well when called up.  There will be several UFA goalies available this summer - no need to trade for a pending UFA.  

Boeser would be unable to produce in Minnesota - it's wasting Dumba's trade value to acquire a winger instead of a much needed playmaking C.  Don't think Minnesota cares much about Boeser now that they are falling head over heels for Fiala and finally have Kaprisov coming. The Minnesota crowd turned on Vanek despite him being a Gopher hero.  

Boeser has been playing with Pettersson - the Wild don't have that kind of player.  Boeser can't seem to generate much alone.  Wouldn't be a fit with how their roster is currently constructed.  Maybe in a few years once the team is further along with legit playmakers to set him up but for now he would be wasted.   It wouldn't be an intelligent use of Dumba's trade value.  

Severals teams are interested but Russso talking to execs around the league thinks that Guerin really doesn't want to move him. It's a bit like Poile with Jones - he didn't want to trade him but had to.  They were desperate for a C1.  Similar situation.

Edited by mll

1 minute ago, mll said:

Markstrom is a UFA.  He has no trade value for a team outside of the playoffs.  The Wild also have Kakhonen who showed well when called up.  There will be several UFA goalies available this summer - no need to trade for a pending UFA.

He does to a market that needs to make the playoffs, for the draft;

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season

Dubnyk will not be under contract and at 35 I don't think they will want to re-sign him with his current play, It is much easier for them to protect a goalie because they will only have one to protect if he comes up next year.

But they are much more market driven than the Canucks, if they start losing the seats empty fast, not like here where it takes years before thousands start finding something else to do, there it is like three heart beats.

The markets have some influence. Your points about Boeser make it clear that the Canucks should start inquiring or let it be known they would entertain offers, for all the reasons you stated Minnesota would not want him, Green wants more of a power forward like Miller or he has Boeser trying to play that way. 

The market for Markstrom even as a rental could get some return, Vegas might just want him and the Canucks could not match their offers just because of the no tax state if nothing else and they could offer a NMC which dooms Demko to be let go for nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

Sucker is an NHL player, but he’s a dime a dozen Smurf.  No thanks to a guy who is nothing special.

Dumbo is a top four D man.  I like him.  But in no way is he worth a number one centre.  That might be the return they want, but in no way are they getting that.  I could see them getting one of those RJ kind of players though for Dumba.  A decent centre, who can play in all situations, but isn’t really outstanding at anything.  

7 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season

Dubnyk will not be under contract and at 35 I don't think they will want to re-sign him with his current play, It is much easier for them to protect a goalie because they will only have one to protect if he comes up next year.

But they are much more market driven than the Canucks, if they start losing the seats empty fast, not like here where it takes years before thousands start finding something else to do, there it is like three heart beats.

The markets have some influence. Your points about Boeser make it clear that the Canucks should start inquiring or let it be known they would entertain offers, for all the reasons you stated Minnesota would not want him, Green wants more of a power forward like Miller or he has Boeser trying to play that way. 

The market for Markstrom even as a rental could get some return, Vegas might just want him and the Canucks could not match their offers just because of the no tax state if nothing else and they could offer a NMC which dooms Demko to be let go for nothing.

You are arguing with a Minnesota fan.  

We true Canuck’s fans know the value of our players (Bess and Marky), especially compared to Wild players.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Sucker is an NHL player, but he’s a dime a dozen Smurf.  No thanks to a guy who is nothing special.

Dumbo is a top four D man.  I like him.  But in no way is he worth a number one centre.  That might be the return they want, but in no way are they getting that.  I could see them getting one of those RJ kind of players though for Dumba.  A decent centre, who can play in all situations, but isn’t really outstanding at anything.  

Russo spoke to a few executives - they are doubting that Guerin will get the return that will make it compelling enough for him to trade Dumba.   

Dumba is just starting to get back into the groove.  He looked incredible last year before that injury.  

15 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Wild's owner Leipold has been saying he's not interested in just making the playoffs.  He wants to have a team that can legit win a Cup.  Money doesn't seem to be an issue in Minnesota.  Guerin has now carte blanche to do as he will to build a legit Cup contending team.   Making the playoffs is not an imperative.  Leipold really doesn't want more participation ribbons - that's why he fired Fletcher and tasked Fenton to shake up their core.  He referenced a sign at their practice facility that reads good is not good enough.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Russo spoke to a few executives - they are doubting that Guerin will get the return that will make it compelling enough for him to trade Dumba.   

Dumba is just starting to get back into the groove.  He looked incredible last year before that injury.  

Is Dumba (18 points and minus 8) playing that much better than Stecher (9 points and plus 3).  It’s kind of clear by this year’s stats that Dumba, who gets a lot of cherry ice time (ozone stats and PP) is not an improvement over Stecher, who plays way harder minutes, and no PP time.  Dumba is 26.  He is what he is.  

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Wild's owner Leipold has been saying he's not interested in just making the playoffs.  He wants to have a team that can legit win a Cup.  Money doesn't seem to be an issue in Minnesota.  Guerin has now carte blanche to do as he will to build a legit Cup contending team.   Making the playoffs is not an imperative.  Leipold really doesn't want more participation ribbons - that's why he fired Fletcher and tasked Fenton to shake up their core.  He referenced a sign at their practice facility that reads good is not good enough.  

We don’t care about the Wild.  We’re Canuck’s fans.  Why would we want to help that team get better?  They’re stuck with three boat anchor contracts:  Zuke, Suter, and Zack.  Too damn bad for them.  JB is not giving them Bess for a D man with 18 points, who is a minus 8.  

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is Dumba (18 points and minus 8) playing that much better than Stecher (9 points and plus 3).  It’s kind of clear by this year’s stats that Dumba, who gets a lot of cherry ice time (ozone stats and PP) is not an improvement over Stecher, who plays way harder minutes, and no PP time.  Dumba is 26.  He is what he is.  

Dumba is significantly better.  He started last season so strong but suffered a season ending pectoral injury fighting Tkachuk.  It's been a very long recovery.  This season he has been forcing offence and it's been a bit of a mess for the first few months.  He's starting to settle down now and is starting to play more like before his injury.  

Advanced stats websites and video tracking softwares have Minnesota as the best defensive environment in the league for goalies.  They have been one if not the best at limiting high quality scoring chances and at keeping shots to the perimeter. Their goalies have performed way below expected.  The Canucks are the opposite - near the bottom in defensive environment with Markstrom the reason the Canucks are not allowing considerably more goals against.

Edited by mll

21 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

OK, this is a knee jerk reaction to last nights game, but it is painfully obvious that we need energy and drive. Otherwise, we are going to see players like Pettersson and Hughes, pasted repeatedly against the boards and cheap shots on a regular basis. And that will just be the regular season. The playoffs will be a whole new beast. And we will be left with dust, and in the dust as we scrape our finesse players off the boards.

First off, let me say, I love all our players individually, and if surrounded with different players, all could play on a playoff winning teams. In saying that, I believe with our present make up and our current prospects, we are a little short on moxy and drive. In short our physical response does not live up to expectations. Nor does our offensive play, when the volume is turned up. It sickens me, when our skinny young Swedish centerman, will go back on a player, harder than our 212 lb captain, and I would not stop there, as there are more players, who I would hold accountable. But there is no point in naming names, only changing games!

I suggest we should at some point, spend asset to change this weakness, and at some point, right a wrong that will plague us for years to come. Now as much as I took a shot at Horvat, I am not proposing to trade him, only surround him, Pettersson, and Hughes with players, that can do that job on a regular basis. It will not come cheap!

My first thought is, that we  get a hard look at McEwen, Bailey, Rafferty, Juolevi and Demko on a much larger scale, because, we need to see, what we have before making and harsh moves, where we spend assets, that do not need to be spent. All of these players are players that if on the big club, will reduce cap, and help us, immensely. Now, as you can imagine, my playing Demko, is to establish, if he can in fact, be the Canucks starter now, opening up other opportunities. 

There will be trades, that do not taste good, and are hard to swallow, but let me be clear, in some cases, those changes would be good. I asked myself just to clarify my thoughts, would I trade Brock Boeser's 44 points for Tome Wilson's 37 points? Would Washington? IMO, no Washington would not, and it would not take them long to give that answer.

My goal is to be a Cup contender in 3 years...…………..a lofty goal! To be sure!

Valuable incoming players not to be moved: Tryamkin, Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rafferty, Juolevi , McEwen and Bailey

Disposable prospect with value: Lind, DiPietro, Madden, Rathbone

Valuable Roster players that can be moved: Markstrom, Tanev, Boeser, Sketcher, Roussel, Leivo, and Pearson

Less Valued Roster Players: Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle, Schaller, Benn, Baertschi

LTIR: Ferland

Now, I am not saying we move everyone on the lists, but lets see what we have left...……….

Miller (5.5)        Pettersson(9.0)        XXXXXX                     XXXXX             Myers (6.0)                   Demko (4.0)

XXXXX               Horvat (5.5)            XXXXXX                    Hughes (7.5)     XXXXX                         XXXXXX

XXXXX              Gaudette (3.0)         Virtanen (3.0)             XXXXX             XXXXX

XXXXX                 Motte (1.5)            XXXXXX

Just as a rough estimate of cost of players left after the purge with 2022-2023 values...…………..45 Million

Estimated Cap in 2022-2023...…………………………………………………………………………….88 Million

Remaining Cap space...……………………………………………………………………………………43 Million

Players not on the books at that time: Eriksson, Schaller, Benn, Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Pearson, Leivo, Edler

The Luongo recapture penalty is gone! :towel:

So lets see what it looks like with the prospect that could slot in

Miller (5.5)             Pettersson(9.0)        Podkolzin (1.5)                   Juolevi (1.5)       Myers (6.0)                  Demko (4.0)

Hoglander (1.5)      Horvat (5.5)            XXXXXX                             Hughes (7.5)     Tryamkin (3.0)              XXXXXX

XXXXX                  Gaudette (3.0)         Virtanen (3.5)                      XXXXX              Rafferty (1.5)

Motte (1.5)             MacEwen (1.5)        Bailey (1.5)

At this point the Cap is approx...…………………………………………………………………………….59.0 Million

We have not traded a player, and we have increased our size and tenacity...………………………...Good!

Available cap space after placements...…………………………………………………………………….29.0 Million

Now, where do we go from here? Do we keep Boeser, Markstrom, Tanev, and Pearson? 

Well, don't you think it depends on what you can get back?

By this time (2022-2023) Markstrom, Tanev, and Pearson will all be starting to age out

This is where I get to, and then ask myself, are we better to have kept those 4, or are we better to have moved on and increased our truculence?

Those 4 players will cost an estimated 23 Million...… (Boeser (6), Markstrom (6), Tanev (6), and Person (5)

Still leaving us around 6 Million to play with.

Short term...……...do you resign Marky and Tanev? Or move on? Do they really fit?

I can see holding onto Pearson and Boeser….pretty easy, really!(short term)

Getting Rid of Eriksson is easy, and we wait until after July 1st to do it...………...Cost? maybe nothing, maybe Madden? Maybe Gaudette if you like Madden?

IMO, long term...…..we need more muscle? I would love a Kreider, Greenaway, Anderson type. All would cost!

I would also like a Gallagher or Domi type, are they warriors! 

What about a Max Domi for Boeser trade?

How do we get tougher in the future? We do need it! This is where I get stuck!~ Right here!......do we go left or right?

Let's keep the Flow and Marky!

Maybe we can make a deal with Seattle to not take Marky or Demko. This would be a very solid tendy duo.

Lets rooooollll nucks tonight

16 hours ago, Tree n Me said:

Do you remember the huge fuss about losing Luca Sbisa in the Vegas draft?  Some posters felt this might be the beginning of the end for the Canuck franchise.  But management had it all figured out.  We lost Sbisa and the world went on.  The point is that Benning and the rest of the management will undoubtedly have a plan to minimize the impact of the Seattle expansion draft.  My personal bet is that we will end up with both goalies after the draft.  Markstrom will be resigned to a contract that will cover the time until we are ready to go with a Demko and DiPietro tandem.  And who in their right mind would complain about having access to Double Ds?

I remember, I got a lot of confused faces cause I said they'd be doing us a favour by taking his nearly 4mil contract off our hands.

6 hours ago, scheif16 said:

Let's keep the Flow and Marky!

Maybe we can make a deal with Seattle to not take Marky or Demko. This would be a very solid tendy duo.

Lets rooooollll nucks tonight

I am Seattle

Give me 2 2nd & 3 3rds round picks or I draft Demko, that or a first rounder.

Or Else.

Now what and why would Seattle not do that? Who is going to be a better goalie for their future out there? He will have 3 years in the NHL, be under 27 and have a moderate contract. He will be moving closer to home. He solidifies Seattle for a 6+ years. There will not be a better option out there.

• Cheers 1

On 2/9/2020 at 1:08 PM, janisahockeynut said:

My goal is to be a Cup contender in 3 years...…………..a lofty goal! To be sure!

Listening to the radio it seems that just next year might be extremely challenging.

Markstrom might want a 4 to 6 year deal at 6 mil a season, a cap cruncher. Tanev could want Edler money with longer term.

These two add over 5 mil to the cap. Hughes and Pettersson made their bonuses, add another 4+ mil. Even if Eriksson is bought out the cap hit is 5+ mil

MacEwenGaudetteVirtanenSchallerBriseboisLeivoMotteFantenbergStecher all need new deals or qualifying offers. If they all are offer a 10% increase that is way over the cap.

While some can be just let go and some go to the AHL the cap has to be a major concern that and what might be necessary to get under.

Like you, I also dream of tomorrow and hope for the best but we seem to think of some of the small necessities. Some of these players are just not going to be traded, some would not be a huge loss but the lack of "news" or even hearsay about some of these should attract attention.

What happens if Markstrom is signed? What if he isn't? Ditto with Tanev, Stecher or Fantenberg? What if Tryamkin signs and how much? Does the team just let a bunch go for nothing? Wait until Poldozin plays?

I am pretty sure that draft picks and prospects will have to be included in trades to reduce the cap hit and a goalie or more picks are going to be lost.

Sure floating in the pond of the current winning is drawing the major attention in the market and is great, I watch with hope too but with the number of fans that have always been waiting for players/prospects to improve the team how can this cap crunch constantly be ignored. Capfriendly, the NHLPA and a lot of websites cover pretty much all the information that Benning has, he might have some that teams suppress, like Kassian's issues in the day but even that was out there. 

Fantasy GM's have just about the exact same info, stats, player bio's, injury history, contract clauses and salary and cap hits. Scouting reports are numerous, quotes from player's, team officials, trends, current injuries, tanking and odds from professionals is information that is public. Now they are not going to say tank, there are dozens of other euphemisms for tanking and because of the cap, now an acceptable method of building or re-building a team.

The one area that the ordinary person can't crack is the old boys club. But speculation is more accurate now than when fans were only expected to pay and cheer.

I want them to win now and in the future, in 2009 fans could see that next year would be better, the team was around 25, one of the youngest in the league and improved every year until they got to just over 27.5. Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Sedins, Luongo, Tanev, Edler, Hamhuis and many others were all around 24, 21 players 28 and under, including just about all the core. 

On 2/9/2020 at 6:38 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Well, this opens up the possibility of moving guys, and in some cases, not moving guys...…………..

IMO...…………...we move Markstrom and Tanev at the deadline...………..Demko has shown enough to convince me, he is a starter

Tanev will be replaced, and we will have Tryamkin, Rafferty and ?(trade) to replace him with.

TDL...............….1, Chris Tanev ,Jacob Markstrom and Sven Baertschi………for .........(RHD) Ramus Ristolainen, (G) Jonus Johansson and Buffalo's 2nd

Spring.........……2. Sign Nikita Tryamkin 2 years @ $3.0 M per

Draft...……….....3. Brock Boeser……………for...….(LW) Jordan Greenway($4.0 M) and Minnesota's 2020 1st

Draft...…………..4. Eriksson, Madden …….for ……..Ottawa's 2020 2nd

Draft...…………..5. Troy Sketcher...………..for a 3rd

Summer...………6. Sign Chris Kreider (LW)...…….5 years @ $6.5 M  per

IN:   Ristolainen, Johansson, Tryamkin, Greenway, Kreider = 15.5 Million

IN: Minnesota's 2020 1st, Ottawa's 2020 2nd, and Buffalo's 2020 2nd, and the Sketcher 3rd

Out:  Boeser, Tanev, Markstrom, Eriksson, Schaller, Madden and Baertschi = 25.0 Million

Line up

Kreider (6'3"  217 lbs)            Pettersson (6'2" 176 lbs)              Ferland (6'1" 217 lbs)

Pearson (6'1" 201 lbs)              Horvat (6'0" 215 lbs)                 Miller (6'1" 218 lbs)

Greenway (6'6" 225 lbs)          Gaudette (6'1" 170 lbs)              Virtanen (6'1" 226 lbs)                                   Leivo (6'2" 192 lbs) Graovac (6'5" 208 lbs)

Motte (5'10"  192 lbs)             MacEwen *6'3" 205 lbs)               Bailey (6'4" 214 lbs)                                      *Sutter, *Roussel, *Beagle

Edler (6'3" 212 lbs)        Myers (6'8" 229 lbs)

Hughes (5'10" 170 lbs)        Ristolainen (6'5" 220 lbs)

Juolevi (6'2" 183 lbs)        Tryamkin (6'8" 265 lbs)          

Rafferty (6'0" 195 lbs)                                                                                Fantanburg (6'0" 206 lbs)

Demko (6'4" 192 lbs)

Johansson (6'4" 205 lbs)

Now, what I like about this is that, we get instantly bigger, in Kreider, Greenway, MacEwen, Bailey, Tryamkin and Ristolainen

We get younger, in general, and our prospect pool is in tact.

Waiting in the wings is Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Lind on forward

Defensemen Rathbone and Woo, and goalie DiPietro in goal

and the next group of 2020 draft picks...……...

I hope everyone takes another look at this proposal

The one thing it does, before the summer is our is rid ourselves of 10 Million in cap

It is an important move going forward

Now nothing ever goes exactly as planned, but to get bigger and faster in the now

while still protecting the future, is ideal

I tried to make the trades as close to real as possible

and loosing Markstrom, hurts the now, in terms of depth

But what is our objective? What are we trying to achieve?

IMO, this line up, by itself, with no graduations, is top 10 for 5 years

which of course, will have changes, as our young prospects graduate.

The fact that, we would have change, on a team that is top 10, is fantasic

because it ensures a steady source of prospects as we turn over players

via graduation.

The one complaint, I have with both JB and CDC, is the view, we can't have change

which is utter nonsense, and very self destructive, long term

The goal should be to have a great team, with a constant infusion of young

talented prospects. In my opinion, that is done by moving players

before they self destruct, and while you can still sign the prospect to a team first contract.

When you look at Boston and Tampa, they do that...……….and they stay strong

It is not impossible, but IMO, again. Trading a good hockey player, does not mean

the sky is falling...…..it only falls, if it is not a good trade, which usually happens

when you try to force something, because of need...……….

Again, I hope people look at this, and think about it......

It obviously is not going to happen, but if we start to understand the philosophy 

it won't be as shocking, if Markstrom, or Tanev get moved

On 2/11/2020 at 2:13 AM, Lazurus said:

I am Seattle

Give me 2 2nd & 3 3rds round picks or I draft Demko, that or a first rounder.

Or Else.

Now what and why would Seattle not do that? Who is going to be a better goalie for their future out there? He will have 3 years in the NHL, be under 27 and have a moderate contract. He will be moving closer to home. He solidifies Seattle for a 6+ years. There will not be a better option out there.

2 2nds & 3 3rds are not realistic in my opinion.

In case Seattle asks for the moon, then try to trade him to another team & at some point Seattles demands will be lower ;)

Check out the deals Vegas made.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/21/15835324/nhl-expansion-draft-2017-trades-vegas-golden-knights-roster

8 hours ago, scheif16 said:

2 2nds & 3 3rds are not realistic in my opinion.

In case Seattle asks for the moon, then try to trade him to another team & at some point Seattles demands will be lower ;)

Check out the deals Vegas made.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/21/15835324/nhl-expansion-draft-2017-trades-vegas-golden-knights-roster

The problem is that this demand could be at the draft and the Canucks have no time, because they didn't think of it, to prearrange a deal. That link shows the number of 1rst's thrown around and for Seattle there is no clear cut top young, under 34 goalie available, Demko will be a prize for them to win or as a trade asset to another team.