The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Tyler Toffoli and Wayne Simmonds

Pears

With the rumour about Simmonds the other and Toffoli being a possible deadline acquisition I thought these are two guys who wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire, but would help our depth scoring out a ton. In this scenario I placed Motte and Leivo on LTIR since I’m not sure how long exactly they’re out for, but we’re fine for cap space either way so here’s the proposal:

To Vancouver: Tyler Toffoli (50% retained)

To Los Angeles: Troy Stecher, 2021 2nd round pick,  2020 3rd round pick

To Vancouver: Wayne Simmonds (50% retained)

To New Jersey: Sven Baertschi, William Lockwood

Roster:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Simmonds

Leivo/Beagle/Eriksson/Motte

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Fantenberg

Brisebois

Markstrom

Demko

Final cap number is $360,960.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

NJD can see that the Canucks are going to have a bonus overage - they only have 30K in cap to cover some 1.7M in bonuses.  They know very well that the Canucks need to dump cap and Baertschi is not in their plans as he is in the AHL and has been waived twice.  It's going to cost to have a team take that final year of his contract. 

Lockwood is an upcoming UFA - his rights expire in August.  Don't even think he alone would be a sufficient return for Simmonds.  

LeBrun says NJD is undecided on whether to move him - they like his influence in the room.   He's implying that the return would have to be worth it to move him - a cap dump and an upcoming UFA likely isn't.  He also thinks that Penguins will be interested because of their potential matchup with CBJ and then Washington with Wilson.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Good proposal, not sure if NJD would go for it but seems along the lines of what could happen, a cap dump both ways for fresh starts.

Toffoli would be a great pick up for us and round out our top 6 nicely.

I can’t imagine they’d get much more for Simmonds but Lockwood would be a decent prospect who would have a chance to play right away if they get him signed. 

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Good proposal, not sure if NJD would go for it but seems along the lines of what could happen, a cap dump both ways for fresh starts.

Toffoli would be a great pick up for us and round out our top 6 nicely.

Simmonds is a UFA - Baertschi has 1 year left.  NJD is far better off just letting Simmonds' contract expire than take an additional year of Baertschi. 

• Upvote 1

The tea already has enough retiring players they don't need Simmonds and Tofolli is a clone of Pearson so get him and sit Guadette? Have to move contracts and then resign another 29 year old hard banger guy to a multiyear clause contract? 

Can lose board battles because he doesn't have elite physical strength, so he could stand to bulk up even more. Can go through as many dry spells as hot spells in the goal-scoring department at the NHL level.

Cup or bust:frantic:

I can wait a couple more years before blowing prospects and picks for deadline rentals. Our window is just opening, there's absolutely no reason to sacrifice how long that window could be by making shortsighted trades now.

Would be wise to roll the team as is. If there's an actual hockey trade to be made, great, do it, but no rentals.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Pears said:

With the rumour about Simmonds the other and Toffoli being a possible deadline acquisition I thought these are two guys who wouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to acquire, but would help our depth scoring out a ton. In this scenario I placed Motte and Leivo on LTIR since I’m not sure how long exactly they’re out for, but we’re fine for cap space either way so here’s the proposal:

To Vancouver: Tyler Toffoli (50% retained)

To Los Angeles: Troy Stecher, 2021 2nd round pick,  2020 3rd round pick

To Vancouver: Wayne Simmonds (50% retained)

To New Jersey: Sven Baertschi, William Lockwood

Roster:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Sutter - Simmonds

Leivo/Beagle/Eriksson/Motte

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Benn - Fantenberg

Brisebois

Markstrom

Demko

Final cap number is $360,960.

Your post is very well thought out.

I’m a fan of the idea of getting Toffoli, but I’d rather see the Canucks add another top four calibre defenseman rather than adding a 2nd forward.  

The Canucks are very strong in the offensive zone but are quite a bit weaker in their own end.   That needs to change.    Edler having a stronger defensive partner would change that, and I think that’s where a guy like Vatanen would come in.  

Do your Stecher deal for Vatanen.   

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Why would anyone want to make a trade for him? They could have had him for free twice now, waivers. Even his agent was given the okay to shop him around the league.

Cuz usually the other team wants to trade back one of their problems too.

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Your post is very well thought out.

I’m a fan of the idea of getting Toffoli, but I’d rather see the Canucks add another top four calibre defenseman rather than adding a 2nd forward.  

The Canucks are very strong in the offensive zone but are quite a bit weaker in their own end.   That needs to change.    Edler having a stronger defensive partner would change that, and I think that’s where a guy like Vatanen would come in.  

Do your Stecher deal for Vatanen.   

Vatanen is an offensive upgrade on Stecher (23 pts vs. 9pts) but if you want a stronger defensive partner than Stecher, I don't think Vatanen is the Dman you want bro.

Comparing this season so far:

Stecher: TOI = 839 mins, goals against while on ice in all situations = 28, GA/60mins = 2.0

Vatanen: TOI = 1022 mins, goals against while on ice in all situations = 55, GA/60mins = 3.2

Stecher is a GREAT defensive guy.

Eriksson is playing pretty well on Bo's line right now, so we get rid of him right when he is finally showing soomething? I waited too long for this, also why is Beagle gettiing the press box treatment? Toffoli's role is already being filled by Pearson. Simmonds, I would like to have.

• Cheers 1