The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 Dramatic Scenarios..Which Do U Pick?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

But you've got absolute bragging rights over 3 Cdn towns, & summer for optimism/fresh memories. Ain't enough?!

3 cup losses is enough for me.  Feeling gutted for a 4th is not appealing at all.  I want a win and only a win will do.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

So basically a SCF appearance vs 1st overall pick?

I choose SCF appearance even if we lose. If this young core proves good enough to make a SCF this season, I think we can start to look forward to how many cups they will win us for the next 10 years. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

A strange hobby, but I like to ponder these crazy things. Two unlikely sequences to wind up this campaign, which one is more palatable?

S1 - The wheels fall off. We get a number of injuries reducing key guys from the lineup. Nothing major(complete recovery for all), just misfortunes that'll place guys on IR from 2-6 wks. Slide down the standings, & all of Canada laughs at us. Finish 13th last..basically no-man's-land in the rebuild-realm. But then..lo & behold, we FINALLY WIN the F***ing Lotto(2% chance..or whatever it is?) Woo-hoo!!! Here we sit, with the 1st overall pick in our pocket. 99% of Canada is now insanely jealous :^)

S2 - In a spring of PO-upsets, we go on a wild, highly unlikely run. Finish in the 2-slot, hosting Cowtown. Smoke 'em in 5! Then Edmunchuk, who banished the 1st pl. Lost Vegans(they & Winterpeg are WC's). Bounce'em in 6. Unbelievably the Jets emerge from Central, but are beaten up. Still we outlast them in a 7 game, epic thriller. Game 7 OT, Miller from EP & Hughes, in what experts are calling one of the most beautiful OT winners, to ever finish a series.

There it is, a Cdn-sweep, all the way to the Finals. We overcome adversity too, with 7 or 8 injuries along the way, we rely heavily on youth/depth on our valiant run. Ironically(for once) almost all of Canada(save bitter Hogtown) fall in love, cheering for our gritty, exuberant cast. Bo, Miller & EP shine, all over 30 pts, after all 4 rds. Jake snipes 14, & OJ is called up & fares brilliantly. Looking like a perfect match with Myers for the coming yrs. On 'tending, both our guys are excellent. With some injuries, they shine & split the wins.

The Finals our luck runs dry..although it to is an epic gem. All 6 games go to OT. Their team is perfectly healthy, with brilliant 'tending. Who?..Torts' Jackets..that's who. The small market darling becomes the talk of the league. Green & Torts shake hands after, with honour for both. All NHL cities agree this was a brilliant series, played hard & fair; both sides completely earning the others' begrudging respect.

13 home dates..so lots of loot in our pocket. Our cast is higher in demand, so we can easily deal off extra parts at the draft, & be very cap-compliant. We pkg TD & Gaud for a 12th overall pick. Life goes on with complete optimism for 2020-21

That's all folks..no adjustments please. Which would you prefer?

Great writing! You got me so excited!

ejdyl.jpg

I just have to re-edit the ending

S3. The Finals our luck.....miraculously continues.  Boston 2.0  First game Tryamkin levels Chara who is out for the rest of the SCF.  We split the first two games in Boston. In the third game Bo levels Marchand, who comes back at one of our smaller players in revenge. Starts to bag punch Rousell, who takes him out with one good punch.  Marchand goes down with a broken face and doesn't return in the series. After a hard fought 5 games, we are ahead 3-2.  Back to Rogers where we win at home in the 6th game!  Shutout for Markstrom, and Louie scores the winning goal! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Great writing! You got me so excited!

ejdyl.jpg

I just have to re-edit the ending

S3. The Finals our luck.....miraculously continues.  Boston 2.0  First game Tryamkin levels Chara who is out for the rest of the SCF.  We split the first two games in Boston. In the third game Bo levels Marchand, who comes back at one of our smaller players in revenge. Starts to bag punch Rousell, who takes him out with one good punch.  Marchand goes down with a broken face and doesn't return in the series. After a hard fought 5 games, we are ahead 3-2.  Back to Rogers where we win at home in the 6th game!  Shutout for Markstrom, and Louie scores the winning goal! 

With life's potholed, tumultuous path, I'd become averse to the Disneyfication of everyone's rose coloured narratives.

But HOLY-Jumpin! You've improved this ending 1000%eh?!

• Cheers 1

Knowingly walking right into an emotional punch to the nuts doesn't seem like an awesome choice to me...but god damn if I ain't a sucker for punishment. I'd go for option 2 but only under the hope that somehow someway this time the hand of fate doesn't ball up it's fist and go right for the giggle-berries.

• Thanks 1

Lottery win would be great, but that doesn't guarantee us any team success.

2 means we are Cup contenders with a young core. 2 means we are already knocking on the door of the ultimate prize. If we are Stanley Cup finalists with our current roster, imagine what we look like when Hughes and Petey mature.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably 1. 

As good as 2 would be for player development landing Laff would give us a top LW for 10+ years.

Trade it to Ottawa for the #3 or 4 OA pick. Maybe they add a sweet prospect, then take some junk contracts off our hands? They need like 25 mill to reach the floor, or something ludicrous...