The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm not imposing anything, thats what you're doing. I can tell by the confusey face you don't know what I mean, but maybe this will help. Pay attention to point #3. This is what the current Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs are not doing. 

In terms of requirements of a good and effective leader, there are some basic commonalities, as defined by Manley Begay, (Navajo), faculty chair of the Native Nations Institute at the Udall Center for Studies in Public Policy and Senior Lecturer in the American Indian Studies Program at the University of Arizona. In a study in 1997, Begay identified five common traits:

“First, Native meanings of leader do not necessarily imply the accumulation of wealth (property and goods). Rather, there is an emphasis on position and role. Second, Native leadership terminology implies a proactive approach with the use of terms like “to direct” and “leads the people.” Third, a Native leader works with the people, rather than commanding or having power over them. Fourth, there is a recognition that leadership has male and female aspects. Fifth, the religious and spiritual aspects of leadership are important.” 

https://www.ictinc.ca/blog/first-nation-chiefs-traditional-or-elected-roles-and-responsibilities

From the same link: 

Working Effectively with Indigenous Peoples® Tip:
Be sure to research governing structures before meeting with a community to determine the presence of elected and/or traditional chiefs.

Sounds like something the government and Coastal Gas should have done at the start of these negotiations.  Might have avoided a lot of problems.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

So Edson is the meth capital of Canada......and it’s also a place you frequented quite often......

......it all starts to make sense now....

Forsbergthegreat.  

Cdc forum meth expert.   

Are u from edson ? 

Lol

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

From the same link: 

Working Effectively with Indigenous Peoples® Tip:
Be sure to research governing structures before meeting with a community to determine the presence of elected and/or traditional chiefs.

Sounds like something the government and Coastal Gas should have done at the start of these negotiations.  Might have avoided a lot of problems.

of course, but that has nothing to do with whether or not the current hereditary chiefs are doing what their people want. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

of course, but that has nothing to do with whether or not the current hereditary chiefs are doing what their people want. 

No, it doesn't.   Nor did I say it did.  But that website seems to have good advice for all involved.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Again you are attempting to  impose  your views of westerrn government on a  thoussands of years old first nations group that live on unceded land/  territory .....  

I think I’m related to Prince Harry. What does that get me? I mean it is pretty far back. That should be good for a couple of acres in Salmo.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think I’m related to Prince Harry. What does that get me? I mean it is pretty far back. That should be good for a couple of acres in Salmo.

Probably gets you a Habsburg Jaw....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7739531/Centuries-inbreeding-European-royals-caused-deformity-known-Habsburg-jaw.html

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

So a few radicals have been f-ing with the Canadian economy, they've been ordered to stand down and the echo chamber's reaction is to make fun of British Royalty and meth addiction... yeah, never change CDC off topic.

Do you read that most in this thread are supporting the protesters? 

The thread has been decent with a but of info. Mostly supporting the dismantlement of the blockades.

Are you upset because you didn't get much support for your idea to make Harry and Megan the royal fam of Canada?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The thread has been decent with a but of info. Mostly supporting the dismantlement of the blockades.

Are you upset because you didn't get much support for your idea to make Harry and Megan the royal fam of Canada?

Gotta agree with this.....

....come into a thread late, look at a few posts and think you have a basis for criticism of everyone in it.....:rolleyes:

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Did you not read the part where I said my idea was silly in the first post, or do you feel like a proud bully now making up feelings for some internet stranger?

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gotta agree with this.....

....come into a thread late, look at a few posts and think you have a basis for criticism of everyone in it.....:rolleyes:

Ok echo echo echo echo, I mean I say this because my point of criticism was the off topic ranting but, I mean what do I know about Canadian politics right?! I don't live there, I shouldn't criticize people's opinions who actually live there... right...?!?! 

I got an idea, why don't you put me on ignore like Jimmy, and then you can all live in your safe space, oh what's that? No one will be able to quote me so Jimmy can give you all likes... lol, benevolence junkies.

Edited by canuckster19
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, canuckster19 said:

Did you not read the part where I said my idea was silly in the first post, or do you feel like a proud bully now making up feelings for some internet stranger?

Ok echo echo echo echo, I mean I say this because my point of criticism was the off topic ranting but, I mean what do I know about Canadian politics right?! I don't live there, I shouldn't criticize people's opinions who actually live there... right...?!?! 

You can criticize all you want. It's the generalization that makes it look like you don't know what you're talking about....

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You can criticize all you want. It's the generalization that makes it look like you don't know what you're talking about....

Nah ya really can't on this forum can you? You can't have a decent conversation on this forum without being called a something or other? I mean I know I'm guilty of it.

1 minute ago, canuckster19 said:

I don't remember the word silly, but I believe you may have used it. I remember you expressing support for the monarchy, and were curious about creating a Canadian one, am I wrong? 

It's unfortunate you feel bullied. Your perception is incorrect and I find that a strange stretch after reading what I posted.  

I was trying to understand why you ridiculed the entire off-topic section contributors with your head in the sand post when I feel the discussion in this thread has been informative and for the majority supportive for removing the blockades. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Nah ya really can't on this forum can you? You can't have a decent conversation on this forum without being called a something or other? I mean I know I'm guilty of it.

Really? You think the post you made was "decent conversation"? :unsure:

8 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? You think the post you made was "decent conversation"? :unsure: