The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wet'suwet'en Protests and Blockades in BC

DonLever

2 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Whenever a Canadian company becomes too successful it is dealt with harshly by American industrial espionage. Whether it be tariffs, scandal, or protests. Bombardier, BlackBerry, Nortel, Keystone. Our neighbors to the South won’t let us succeed. Yet we are good customers so we can buy from them.

Exactly...much like the Avro Arrow. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Toyotasfan said:

The protest group Extinction Rebellion which bases out of United Kingdom has been protesting on Vancouver island . Nothing to do with the race card there.

Yah right buddy... keep telling yourself that.

Racism in Canada against first nations is sickening....   needs to change. 

• Wat 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I don’t deny it, I don’t try to make it appear whether it is or isn’t there either. Lots more people enjoy peace than hatred. Environmental protesters really make perceptions worse. Some chiefs have had to denounce these people who have falsely used their bands name because they aren’t considerate .

28 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Racism sometimes starts off as resentment. It's what Chinese Canadians are having to deal with right now through no fault of their own due to the fear of the coronavirus. These protesters will indirectly cause a similar backlash to First Nations people if they persist, its not fair but its the way human beings think. Regardless of the intentions of these protesters, their actions are destructive to their stated cause which is the upliftment of their communities. I am curious what possible good you think can come out of this? 

Edited by Toews
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

Whenever a Canadian company becomes too successful it is dealt with harshly by American industrial espionage. Whether it be tariffs, scandal, or protests. Bombardier, BlackBerry, Nortel, Keystone. Our neighbors to the South won’t let us succeed. Yet we are good customers so we can buy from them.

Oh shoot I posted this in the wrong thread. My bad 

The US deliberately does this, tmx, coastal it's all US money behind it. 

10 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Coming from an area that literally saw numerous baby stabbings over a short period of time I am not shocked.  My band is from the area and they're what you'd call...economically depressed.  If anyone offered them up resource revenues for running a line through their area they'd jump and offer to dig for it

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The US has a very vested interest in keeping Canadian oil landlocked and only running to American refineries.  Has since the OPEC crisis in the late 70s and energy issues throughout the 80s

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

While I consider Americans our greatest allies I am also amazed at how naive Canadians are. They take some pride at their supposed superiority but do almost nothing to prove it. The Americans, Russians and Chinese are threats to Canadian sovereignty. A strong Canada can assert a more independent economic destiny and thusly a more independent political pathway. These countries want a compliant source of resources and a market for their value added goods. 

Exploitation of Canada’s energy resources was a generational opportunity to establish true Canadian independence. That wealth could have created a path independent of foreign influence. Instead of a concrete plan we have nothing and will end up with nothing. A country with a commodity dependence and 1st world tastes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:06 AM, NUCKER67 said:

This might be a silly observation, I'm a little ignorant to all of the complexities of this situation. But why wouldn't they just bypass the Wetsuwet'en reserves? Go around them, and then this way they wouldn't have to pay that First Nation memberships millions. Cut them out of the deal, then we'll see who complains.

Better yet - let them be a sovereign nation - that way they can't collect any benefits from the Canadian government unless they live in Canada and pay taxes.  

LOL -   first nations people need to accept colonization and give up their resources....  They are only getting in the way of CDN corporate interests....

VICTORIA — Two people supporting Indigenous young people occupying the B.C. legislature’s front steps were arrested Thursday morning for painting messages in water-soluble chalk on and around the building.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/two-people-arrested-at-legislature-for-painting-messages-in-chalk

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

LOL -   first nations people need to accept colonization and give up their resources....  They are only getting in the way of CDN corporate interests....

VICTORIA — Two people supporting Indigenous young people occupying the B.C. legislature’s front steps were arrested Thursday morning for painting messages in water-soluble chalk on and around the building.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/two-people-arrested-at-legislature-for-painting-messages-in-chalk

Mischief and vandalism are still indictable offences.  The legislative building is sacrosanct and always has been.  Water soluble or not the guards/rcmp in charge of overwatch of the legislature have and always have had a no tolerance policy for any type of vandalism or non approved alterations of the grounds/building.

Most likely the two people will be released without being charged but it doesn't change that immutable fact.

As for your smarmy "colonization and give up" statement.  Grow up.  You don't now nor will you ever speak for my people.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Mischief and vandalism are still indictable offences.  The legislative building is sacrosanct and always has been.  Water soluble or not the guards/rcmp in charge of overwatch of the legislature have and always have had a no tolerance policy for any type of vandalism or non approved alterations of the grounds/building.

Most likely the two people will be released without being charged but it doesn't change that immutable fact.

As for your smarmy "colonization and give up" statement.  Grow up.  You don't now nor will you ever speak for my people.

I only speak for myself.  My first nations friends and relatives will have to speak on their own. Hopefully they are not bought off and still care about their bands lands, drinking water  and territories..    I know they do though as they have long term vision about preserving their environment.

You didn't mention if that receipt for gas worked.... did it cover up the lies you posted here last week......

Edited by kingofsurrey

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

An SKS is essentially a ak47

Essentially but technically different.  SKS are not full automatic (or atleast not sold as is, yes people can modify them).  An AK-47 is a fully automatic which makes it prohibited.  For a leader of a group/party/etc to throw out AK-47 is stupid, just slight accuracy is would be nice once in a while.  Just like the classification of "assault rifles", those are illegal, just because a gun looks like one (lets be honest most guns look similar in their classifcations, ie. every shotgun is similar, hunting rifles are similar, etc.) does not mean it is one so when something like AK-47/assualt rifle is thrown out there constantly is just frustrating.  And I am not a gun owner, I don't even care for guns, never shot one before and probably never will, but I do respect them and would like to see accuracy when people spit out random ass statements.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Russ said:

Essentially but technically different.  SKS are not full automatic (or atleast not sold as is, yes people can modify them).  An AK-47 is a fully automatic which makes it prohibited.  For a leader of a group/party/etc to throw out AK-47 is stupid, just slight accuracy is would be nice once in a while.  Just like the classification of "assault rifles", those are illegal, just because a gun looks like one (lets be honest most guns look similar in their classifcations, ie. every shotgun is similar, hunting rifles are similar, etc.) does not mean it is one so when something like AK-47/assualt rifle is thrown out there constantly is just frustrating.  And I am not a gun owner, I don't even care for guns, never shot one before and probably never will, but I do respect them and would like to see accuracy when people spit out random ass statements.

Sks is a poor mans ak47 with mods it can look like an ak47

Automatic rifle is only illegal until you get caught.If your illegally blockading a railway crossing i don't think you care about anything else.

spacer.png

Edited by Violator

Hopefully with todays negotiations... some kind of a settlement can be reached that all parties can agree to.

Respectful negotiations are the key to any deal going forward.  Compromises may have to made by all the involved parties....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1