The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Canucks and Devils: Virtanen + Stecher + 2nd for Damon Severson

The Devils get some young pieces and depth, while the Canucks get a young “all situations” defenseman that can pick up the mantle when Edler and Tanev move on.    Severson and Hughes can become an elite pair for years to come.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Ferland-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Severson 

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Markstrom

Demko

• Haha 2
  • Wat 4

Imho Severson is a 3rd dman tops, Stecher is 5th tops.  Both are rhd.  Virtanen is showing he might be on the verge of a regular top 6 forward with wheels who can hit.  If we want Severson this would be a fair trade, again imho.

Stecher + Jake

For

Severson + 3rd

Funny this would give us 3 Kelowna Rockets on D.

Although, I am not sure I want to give up on Jake

Edited by Dixon Ward
  • Upvote 1

That's a lot to give up for Severson. That being said, he's a good D with decent size who's shown he's able to produce and stay healthy for a weak Devil's club. He's an upgrade on Stecher. 

Jersey might do it, I wouldn't. I'm reluctant to give up Jake, but without Jake the Devils wouldn't do it. Severson' is locked into a bit of term whereas Stech is a pending RFA. It'd take more than a 2nd to get them to downgrade, we'd likely have to add a pretty good prospect or an additional pick? 

I'd be interested in Severson, but I'm not sure what would work for both us and Jersey. 

15 minutes ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

We need the help now;) not later on. We need some offence and my opinion perhaps another solid defender.  Let’s try to make some moves now rather then wait til deadline... NTC frick I hate NTC lol

Given how weak the Canucks are in their own end, I would argue that this move would be helping us for “the now.”   Getting more guys like Severson on our team would help us bleed less high danger chances.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't do it.  You simply don't give away a player with the size, speed, and hands of Virtanen without having a real impact player come back the other way.  I'm not convinced Severson is the kinda player you'd move Virtanen for.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a lot to give up for Severson. That being said, he's a good D with decent size who's shown he's able to produce and stay healthy for a weak Devil's club. He's an upgrade on Stecher. 

Jersey might do it, I wouldn't. I'm reluctant to give up Jake, but without Jake the Devils wouldn't do it. Severson' is locked into a bit of term whereas Stech is a pending RFA. It'd take more than a 2nd to get them to downgrade, we'd likely have to add a pretty good prospect or an additional pick? 

I'd be interested in Severson, but I'm not sure what would work for both us and Jersey. 

Severson is a good all-around defenseman that is young and is signed to a great cap hit long term.   He would fit our needs perfectly.   I would absolutely move Jake while Jake’s value is relatively high.   With Podkolzin set to arrive in a few years, the Canucks should be pretty set on their RW with Pod and Boes over there.   Our right side D is very questionable in the long term right now.  Severson would help address that.

• Upvote 1

Severson should be an upgrade on Stecher but the proposed deal seems rather costly for that upgrade.  Severson has a decent cap hit and is other team control for another couple seasons after this one so he would probably be quite expensive, but I don't think Severson alone warrants giving up Virtanen, Stecher and a 2nd.  I don't know what could be reasonably added from NJD to make this palatable for the Canucks.

I guess you could try to structure a deal with NJD with targeted return of Severson and Simmonds but in that case, Virtanen and Stecher wouldn't work cap wise, there would need to be more parts involved in the deal.

3 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Severson should be an upgrade on Stecher but the proposed deal seems rather costly for that upgrade.  Severson has a decent cap hit and is other team control for another couple seasons after this one so he would probably be quite expensive, but I don't think Severson alone warrants giving up Virtanen, Stecher and a 2nd.  I don't know what could be reasonably added from NJD to make this palatable for the Canucks.

I guess you could try to structure a deal with NJD with targeted return of Severson and Simmonds but in that case, Virtanen and Stecher wouldn't work cap wise, there would need to be more parts involved in the deal.

Got to say no to this Severnson guy.  He’s a perennial Green Jacket candidate.  Why would we want that?  Stecher is a better player. 

Nah. Virtanen is improving, we should keep him.

The value wise it seems fair and Severson would be nice to have on this team. 

I feel like for this season, we should just go with what we've got. See how the guys do in the stretch run/playoffs and try to address the any weaknesses exposed during the offseason. By the end of the season, we will know if Tryamkin is coming back and how further along Juolevi/Rafferty and other forward prospects are in Utica. Maybe some of the other guys can be traded instead of Virtanen to get a solid defenceman or maybe we can pick up a good defenceman in the UFA market.

51 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The Devils get some young pieces and depth, while the Canucks get a young “all situations” defenseman that can pick up the mantle when Edler and Tanev move on.    Severson and Hughes can become an elite pair for years to come.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Eriksson

Roussel-Gaudette-Sutter

Ferland-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Severson 

Hughes-Tanev

Fantenberg-Myers

Markstrom

Demko

How’s the weather in Toronto?  

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Given how weak the Canucks are in their own end, I would argue that this move would be helping us for “the now.”   Getting more guys like Severson on our team would help us bleed less high danger chances.

I’d rather keep Virtanen aswell stetcher. I’d be looking to better our defence by moving Benn and Myers. Go for Ristolainen ftom the Sabres... but NTC I hate NTCs lol

Edited by KnuckleHead16

Yeah, agreed with the above, not sure we give up on a unique asset like Jake (young, healthy PF likely with even greater upside) for a puck-moving RHD.

We could see what we have in Rafferty, and if not him we have Myers (for better or for worse) to run the 2nd PP (Quinn's the 1st group QB), and Stecher is solid and can move the puck (he probably won't get to the same level as Damon but we get what we pay for).

Unless NJ adds something back for the difference in value I don't see how this trade is worth our while.

Plays on a crap team but would likely be top 4 everywhere. Severson plays almost 23 minutes a game. Played almost 30 minutes a few games ago. He's also on a 6 game point streak and is a plus player during that stretch.

NJD say no. He's way too valuable for them.

Edited by Junkyard Dog