The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2010 Vancouver Olympics 10th Year Anniversary Today

DonLever

Just out of curiosity, how many venues that were built for the Olympics are still being used?  I always here about these "white elephant" structures left over in cities after the Olympics are finished, and I was wondering if Vancouver suffered from the same scenario. 

14 minutes ago, skolozsy2 said:

Just out of curiosity, how many venues that were built for the Olympics are still being used?  I always here about these "white elephant" structures left over in cities after the Olympics are finished, and I was wondering if Vancouver suffered from the same scenario. 

Most, if not all of the facilities are still there.  Some were re-purposed after the games.

• Thanks 1

I was in the 6th grade. Mr. McNeil's class 6/7 split class. We walked all the way over to 41st Ave and Gladstone to see the olympic torch pass by. My favourite moment has to be the Mens Olympic Gold. That team was stacked.

@DonLever Worst memory actually happened before the games. The Nomar Kushadvilli crash I saw on CTV and cried. That was some ****** up ****

5 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

I can't really think of any venue that isn't being used. We needed the improvement in infrastructure tbh.

Edited by ReggieBush

I was GM of a Granville nightclub at the time.

We opened in the day times to show all Canadian hockey. 

Would fill the club with 500+ fans, meanwhile seas of people would be walking up and down the street outside. When we won gold I thought the roof was going to come off. If you went outside, forget about what direction you wanted to go. You were stuck in the flow of the people partying for the victory. People were soo close together it was like a most pit at a metal concert. Police were giving people high -fives, strangers were hugging.

What a time to live in Van. Some of the best memories ever. 

• Cheers 1

I remember listening to the gold medal game with 2 other guys at work over the phone speaker haha.  

Other than the gold medal game, Jon Montgomory walking through chugging beers on TV was probably my favorite part.

Loved the Olympics.   They are lighting up the cauldron downtown today.  I hope it can one day come back so my kids can experience and enjoy it like I did.

As for the venues "white elephants", I don't think there is that many structures gone to waste.  The new structures were built for future purposes in mind.  I think the ski jump is under utilized but that to be expected. 

I was there as a volunteer (team supervisor) at Canada Hockey Place (aka Roger's Arena).  I was with guest services.  We helped people get through security outside the venue and helped people find their seats inside the venue.  Our shifts would alternate between inside and outside shifts.  It was an amazing two weeks.  I met so many great people and saw loads of hockey when I was off-shift.

On one particular day, I had just finished working a long shift and I was filling out my shift report.  One of the coordinator dudes started asking how the shift went and such and what my plans were.  I said I was just going to go home to watch the women's gold medal game.  He asked if I would rather see it in person and dropped a ticket in front of me.  I got to sit at center ice, about 8 rows up for the game.  What an awesome experience.

On an earlier shift, I was working inside for one of the men's games.  I remember just as the game was ending, John Tortorella comes out of the section I was working and says 'Hey kid, what's the fastest way out of here.' so I helped get him to the nearest exit.  I was almost 40, not a kid.  I thought it was pretty funny.

For the men's gold medal game I was scheduled to work outside.  There was a huge screen on the side of the Ontario pavilion so we could watch the game while we worked.  However, the broadcast was delayed by a few seconds.  Each time something big would happen in the arena we would hear the crowd erupt and then get to watch it on the screen a few seconds later.

One of the things that bewildered me was how many volunteers we lost.  By about day three we were down 1/3 of our volunteers.  I guess people thought they would just be hanging out watching the games the whole time and didn't realize that volunteering was actual work.

The whole thing was such a great experience.  I was rooting for Calgary to go after the 2026 games just so I could volunteer again.  Maybe Salt Lake City in 2030.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, DonLever said:

The 2010 Vancouver Olympics started 10 years today,  Feb. 12, 2010.

Any memories, good or bad?

Lots of good ones, (especially the Skeleton guy chugging a jug of beer as he's on his way to collect his Gold medal) but I have to admit, the first thing that popped into my mind was the Georgian guy who got killed on his practice run for the Luge...

1 minute ago, Shift-4 said:

And Le May Doan returning for closing ceremonies to light it. That was great.

It got a bit of criticism from a few Nancies on social media, but I really liked the way they had the "Mario" guy "fixing" the unit at the closing ceremonies. Self deprecation was the perfect touch in that situation, IMHO...

Couldn't really afford to go to see any of the events live in the buildings, but I thoroughly enjoyed all the events and activities surrounding the whole thing. Went to several of the concerts and joined in the men's hockey celebration which was simply just joy. The weather wasn't very "wintery" which made these activities and events much more enjoyable.