The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While the game wasn't pretty from a possession perspective, I wonder if Green saw it as an opportunity to recalibrate the physicality/unity/pushback approach. I think part of the reason (outside of Markstrom being incredible) that the team won the game, was that they weren't being intimidated by the Hawks at all.

I wonder if the pushback comes on Green's orders or from the guys themselves.  Hoping it's the latter.  To me it looks pretty spontaneous and in the moment.  We don't need a goon (much as I'll always love Gino), just a bunch of guys who will do what Gaudette did last night and play with a pack mentality.  A little more of that will go a long way, and I think we're getting there.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I wonder if the pushback comes on Green's orders or from the guys themselves.  Hoping it's the latter.  To me it looks pretty spontaneous and in the moment.  We don't need a goon (much as I'll always love Gino), just a bunch of guys who will do what Gaudette did last night and play with a pack mentality.  A little more of that will go a long way, and I think we're getting there.

I agree. Having a team-wide pack mentality is essential, especially in the playoffs. Last night was great to see.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, but the high danger scoring chances were 12-5 last night

sorry - can't take those numbers seriously - I got it from a good source that there were 25 high danger scoring chances against last night (and no one draws up a chart quite like @Alflives-under-the-influence....)

*almost no-one.  net-cred to those smarmies and their hero-charts

• Haha 1

So impressed, choked me up, Bieksa was funny as hell, wish Burr was more recognized though, loved seeing the warm reception for Kes, I forgive him. So classy for the Sedins to thank everyone involved (trainers, coaches, GMs, etc), and not just focus on the Swedes that helped them. The whole thing gave me the warm and fuzzies. I must say as well, all of those banners are fricken awesome, love that they changed them to the era they played in.

And then the game, Markstrom was anmazing. Almost feltbad for him, the pressure to perform on this special night, almost having to do it all himself. But he showed up and delivered. He should be in the Hart conversation, especially if the Canucks win the Pacific.

I wonder if this is a turning point for the Canucks. They have some confidence, and dare I say, a bit of a swagger. I can see them going on a run, getting into the playoffs and being a team no one wants to face.

GCG! 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

sorry - can't take those numbers seriously - I got it from a good source that there were 25 high danger scoring chances against last night (and no one draws up a chart quite like @Alflives-under-the-influence....)

*almost no-one.  net-cred to those smarmies and their hero-charts

I find some of it useful, particularly the stuff that confirms what I want to believe :P

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Only clear shot was the left as he was holding the jersey. Short little jab that put Murphy on the defensive.

Nothing great to be in awe about but not bad for the kid.

Yeah, nothing at all great about the kid clearly winning his first NHL fight against an opponent who was 3 years older, 3 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier. I can see that you are a "realistic fan".

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. Having a team-wide pack mentality is essential, especially in the playoffs. Last night was great too see.

This is another area where Miller has been a great influence on the team.  Him and Markstrom feel like our real emotional leaders, and they're both wonderfully scrappy.  The Sedin thing is great and all, but the telltale sign that we're going in a different direction is that someone like Petey pushes back. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

This is another area where Miller has been a great influence on the team.  Him and Markstrom feel like our real emotional leaders, and they're both wonderfully scrappy.  The Sedin thing is great and all, but the telltale sign that we're going in a different direction is that someone like Petey pushes back. 

Very true. The team has enough players willing to play that type of game. It'll come in handy as the season amps up, which it is now.

• Cheers 1

Not to cause controversy or anything, but did anyone else notice that during Linden's interview in the intermission, when he was talking about people in and around the team and his exit etc, the one person he completely didn't mention, was Benning. Seemed kind of weird since he hand picked Benning for GM to oversee the rebuild.

• Haha 1

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

Not to cause controversy or anything, but did anyone else notice that during Linden's interview in the intermission, when he was talking about people in and around the team and his exit etc, the one person he completely didn't mention, was Benning. Seemed kind of weird since he hand picked Benning for GM to oversee the rebuild.

Yeah, it's obvious that Benning and Linden didn't see eye to eye. I think Benning took his job intentionally, which makes him a very cunning fox.

• Wat 2

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, it's obvious that Benning and Linden didn't see eye to eye. I think Benning took his job intentionally, which makes him a very cunning fox.

or it makes you someone that forms assumptions prematurely.

Did Linden mention Aquilini?

There are still too many blanks to fill in before concluding something like Benning maneouvred to steal Linden's job - and that's coming from someone that credits Linden, not Benning, with the majority of the heavy lifting where the present organizatiion/management group/supporting cast  is concerned.

I think there are more than one distinct possibility.

1)  Aquilini valued Benning's hockey intelligence more than Benning and made a move to trim his management costs - thereby the source of a 'rift' coming from outside those two (Benning and Linden).  Perhaps Benning wasn't prepared to leverage enough loyalty to Linden?

2)  Benning and Linden may not have disagreed - as perceived - regarding what to do with the rething at that stage - it's possible that Aquilini was growing impatient relative to them, and Linden backed him off/toftt.

3) the most common assumption - the possibility that this was primarily between Linden and Benning - that Benning moved to take his job - something I don't find any more convincing given the lack of information - than the other possibilities.

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I did. I also noticed that Linden passed right by Benning, not even acknowledging him, as did Naslund, when they were introduced and walked out onto the ice.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I did. I also noticed that Linden passed right by Benning, not even acknowledging him, as did Naslund, when they were introduced and walked out onto the ice.

well sorry but Linden needs to get over it.  Naslund would not do that on purpose.

• Haha 1

Just now, oldnews said:

or it makes you someone that forms assumptions prematurely.

Did Linden mention Aquilini?

There are still too many blanks to fill in before concluding something like Benning maneouvred to steal Linden's job - and that's coming from someone that credits Linden, not Benning, with the majority of the heavy lifting where the present organizatiion/management group/supporting cast  is concerned.

I think there are more than one distinct possibility.

1)  Aquilini valued Benning's hockey intelligence more than Benning and made a move to trim his management costs - thereby the source of a 'rift' coming from outside those two (Benning and Linden).  Perhaps Benning wasn't prepared to leverage enough loyalty to Linden?

2)  Benning and Linden may not have disagreed - as perceived - regarding what to do with the rething at that stage - it's possible that Aquilini was growing impatient relative to them, and Linden backed him off/toftt.

3) the most common assumption - the possibility that this was primarily between Linden and Benning - that Benning moved to take his job - something I don't find any more convincing given the lack of information - than the other possibilities.

Perhaps. This is just my thought on it, which could be changed at any time.

Here's the thing: 90's night. Linden doesn't show up to that event. HOW? (Bure also didn't bother showing up either). Linden showed up for the Sedins is how I interpreted this. NOT for Benning/Aquilini.

I think the first one is possible, that Benning wasn't prepared to go to bat for Linden. Either way, he took Linden's job.

The second is less convincing. Why would Linden be 'turfed' then (as perceived)? If Linden was a 'yes man' to Benning, Benning certainly would've kept him. I think Brackett is a smart man too, but there are seemingly issues with what he wants versus what Benning wants. Of course, Benning is the expert here on all fronts - scouting and GMing. Brackett may very well have good ideas, but him and Benning may or may not get along in the long run. Time will tell.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That, combined with Linden's warm kudos for Green, does amount to a telling data point about what happened.  Not the whole story, but very suggestive.

• Cheers 1