The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Chicago Blackhawks at Vancouver Canucks | Feb. 12, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, 6string said:

"Bonehead" is an exaggeration to pad your case, it looked more like Bailey thought he was getting puck support from the forward coming back, the forward stopped skating as Bailey was leaving a soft outlet pass safely towards the boards.

I remember seeing that and saying what the hell( i think it was Stecher) that left the puck and went for a change after the pass was made.

Edit 

Not bailey's fault that happened.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Edit
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, 6string said:

"Bonehead" is an exaggeration to pad your case, it looked more like Bailey thought he was getting puck support from the forward coming back, the forward stopped skating as Bailey was leaving a soft outlet pass towards the boards.

Time has passed, and I didn't rewind the play, so you may be right.  But even that play aside, he was noticeably off compared to Monday's game during his few shifts. That play looked really bad, but maybe it's not on all on him.  But only playing 3 mins, without sitting in the box or dressing room, suggests Green saw some issues with his game yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Time has passed, and I didn't rewind the play, so you may be right.  But even that play aside, he was noticeably off compared to Monday's game during his few shifts. That play looked really bad, but maybe it's not on all on him.  But only playing 3 mins, without sitting in the box or dressing room, suggests Green saw some issues with his game yesterday.

Green is a percentages coach, he will always lean to NHL experience over youth. Even if it's bad NHL experience as in Schaller and Erikkson.

Queue the Louie fans here....

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 6string said:

Green is a percentages coach, he will always lean to NHL experience over youth. Even if it's bad NHL experience as in Schaller and Erikkson.

Queue the Louie fans here....

Experience over youth unless youth outperforms experience, which is why loui gets minutes over guys like Bailey & Macewan.

If Macewan continues to chip in points here and there while providing physicality he will be playing over loui by the time the playoffs start.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Experience over youth unless youth outperforms experience, which is why loui gets minutes over guys like Bailey & Macewan.

If Macewan continues to chip in points here and there while providing physicality he will be playing over loui by the time the playoffs start.

Mac had 11 minutes, Green has him on the radar.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think we have to go into grand theories. Aqulini runs a business, lower bowl seat sales and probably more importantly luxury box sales were down, we had a dud coach, and Linden was preaching more patience (the "Winnipeg model") and clearly didn't have an answer for increased attendance. Benning was capable of taking over.

If Linden is mad about Benning not being loyal or something along those lines, well, thats his problem frankly. He had enough of his own record and I don't think its fair to blame others, own your own record imo. I love what Linden did as a player but I do think it was a mistake to hire him as president.  

I agree that the rift between J.B. and Linden is not about their possible differences in hockey philosophy. It is more likely that it was about how the differences were handled. I suspect that Linden felt betrayed, used or otherwise disrespected by J.B., that J.B. deceived him and talked XXXX behind his back to the owners. In other words, Linden thinks that J.B. acted in a dishonourable way. 

Here is my script for a movie, and yes I declare copyrights over this:

Linden: "Jim, why did you speak to the owner behind my back? We were hashing out our differences, now the owner thinks that I am a problem and that my role in this organization is redundant!"

J.B.: "Trevor, I don't mean any disrespect to you. The owner was asking me what I thought about the path forward and I just thought it is very important for the owner to hear what I think is the best way to build this hockey team. It's up to the ownership to decide how to move forward. They need to hear different points of view. I don't mean to step on your toes."

Linden: " When you met the ownership without asking me first, you did step on my toes and disrespect me as the president. I really do not appreciate what you did."

J.B.: "Well like I said, I really did not mean anything directed against you. The owners wanted to know what I think and I told them. We both work for the owners. They decide. I'm sorry Trevor that you feel the way you do." 

Later on.....

Linden: "Gentlemen, I did not appreciate the fact that you met with J.B. privately without giving me notice. As the president of hockey operations I should be informed!"

Ownership: "Trevor, we did not mean to disrespect you or step on your toes. We know Jim and you have some differences of opinion and we would like to hear from both of you directly. It was just easier to speak with J.B. directly without you being there. We did not think of it as speaking with him behind your back."

Linden: "Well if I am the president of hockey operations then J.B. works under me and reports to me. You guys need to make this clear, especially to J.B."

Ownership: "Come on Trevor! You know Jim is not a bad guy and we love you. Don't think too much of this. Anyway you should take some time off and we will see you at the next meeting."

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. Having a team-wide pack mentality is essential, especially in the playoffs. Last night was great to see.

Now if only the lead Lobo would drop them a few times to set a precedent ...you know make them (other team) respect that part of the game. Iginla style. 

wolf.PNG

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Can't recall exactly:  I was shuttling back and forth between various streamings of the game and ceremony which are not available now.  But he did single out Green and Brackett for praise and was silent about everyone else. 

...heard that Benning wanted Glass over Petey and Linden sided with Brackett

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IrishCanuck5 said:

I’m Irish but can no longer drink. Alf is an alien and can drink enough to fuel A jet fighter. I guess a sober Irishman and a drunk alien are just are rare as one another 

Well I'm going to start an organ drive for you!

I will generously donate a fifth of my liver.

Now we only need four more compassionate posters to donate the other four 5th"s

then we can celebrate! .... that your Irishman requirement card has been reinstated.

uwi8.gif.5e25e28c1d8489ff3cb2a56263dbf692.gif

Sorry. 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is getting outshot 50 to 20 a sustainable way to win?  

image.png.88dcdd6d28ab0887fd134fafa7bb78d5.png

So, in the last 30 games the Canucks only had 20 shots or less twice Alf. 

So your question (Is getting outshot 50 to 20 a sustainable way to win? ) has a sample size of 1 - last night. And my math ain't great, but in the one game the Canucks got outshot 50 to 20 they won. So far, their record is 100% when getting outshot 50 to 20.

So, yes, apparently it is sustainable.

Anymore math questions Alf??

::D

PS: In the last 30 games, the Canucks outshot their opponents 11 times or 37% of the time.  In another 4 games the difference in shots was less than 10 shots. So in 30 games the Canucks either outshot or almost had as many shots as the opponent in 50% of the games.  So half the games they out shoot or shoot almost as many shots as the opponent.

So in a more serious tone, YES, the way they play has been sustainable. But your one game example of 50-20 shots is silly.

GO CANUCKS!!

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

So, Mrs. Robinson, how is your achy breaky heart, today?

I could not help but think of you during that ceremony! 

Did you get there?

Oh I sure did my friend.  It was magnificent....I'm still on cloud nine.

I mean...getting to see Burr and have him rev up the crowd like he did.  Seeing Juice, Trevor...all my absolute favourites.

Bieksa was truly fantastic...really set the tone for a great night.  

The video choked me up...have "Forever Young" stuck in my head today.  The Sedins and their total class just painted the night that way. 

And I loved the game...we won and we didn't back down from the Hawks.  Marky is a superstar and, sure,  he stole that one but that doesn't take away from it at all for me.  Was just a super night...needed it.   Have to say that I also went with great friends who just make it perfect and then walked back to the train with my kids.  Special, start to finish.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Trevor Linden served as an adviser, for intents and purposes.

Get real. 

Linden hired virtually the entire existing management group - GMs of both the Canucks and Utica, their coach, player development, head pro and amateur scouts....

'for intents and purposes'....?

That's 'advisor' wadr.  That's your principal builder, from step one post Gillis/Tortorella regime.

• Cheers 2