The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Canucks lack of possession numbers and bleeding high danger chances

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

Canucks is still a young team, up and down, that is normal.

Even a matured team, it faces the same.

We still need to do something for the team, making it progress.

Currently, the goalies are strong, D-group have some holes, F-group is fine.

Personally I like to add one top deference.  The coach group need to help BB to recover.

If Motte and Ferland back to health, the team is bright.

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

I would be alot more concerned about relying on a young goalie with a seemingly high number of concussions as a long term strategy.  

Markstrom is earning a substantial raise.  It is obvious to everyone that the Canucks cannot go beyond a certain number due to the Lou retirement and the recapture.  

If that means Marky walks, the  there is nothing we can do.  Its BS and should be rescinded but in the immortal words of Jared McCann, 'It is what it is.'

Marky has a choice, go for the money or the glory.  If he stays it will be a 6x6 full NTC type deal.  That means Demko is exposed.  Marky has earned that type of deal and has been our best player for the past 1.5 years easily.  He has added some muscle and seems able to handle a lot of minutes and gets better with more work. 

Mikey is looking alot like a goalie of the future type as well.  Even as a back up I see him as being able to fill Demko's shoes fairly well.  

Keep the MVP.  

While he may deserve that at the moment, don't forget the Canucks gave him all the time and Ian Clarke to resurrect his career, he was waived through the league not that long ago, I would max out at 3X6 with no protection clause. Gives him the chance to win cup and then cash in

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, FinchBird said:

While he may deserve that at the moment, don't forget the Canucks gave him all the time and Ian Clarke to resurrect his career, he was waived through the league not that long ago, I would max out at 3X6 with no protection clause. Gives him the chance to win cup and then cash in

That's not quite accurate. He was snuck through at the very beginning of that waivers window in the hopes other teams were still diddling on their own goalies deciding rather than pick up 'yet another guy' who wasn't ready at the time. It was a gamble at the time and everybody knew it, but it paid off in the end.

I notice that the forwards play a 3 man deep on the forecheck which is leading to a lot of odd man rushes and often leaving the defensemen in a bad predicament in gap control which leading to access to high danger chances.

Honestly, I think the Canucks play on the side of being too aggressive on the forecheck leading to a lot of plays going the other way and being hemmed in for so long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownky said:

That's not quite accurate. He was snuck through at the very beginning of that waivers window in the hopes other teams were still diddling on their own goalies deciding rather than pick up 'yet another guy' who wasn't ready at the time. It was a gamble at the time and everybody knew it, but it paid off in the end.

snuck through or not, he cleared waivers after being considered top prospect. Canucks saved his career from playing Europe or KHL

1 hour ago, FinchBird said:

The first part is absolutely true - JB could have given up on him in a minor Lack like trade many times but didnt.    The latter part is not going to happen.  When he's done his contract he will be getting top ten money - likely in the 5.5-6.25 range for 4-6 years. He won't risk - and neither will his agent - not cashing in now when he can and hoping for another deal later.   The only thing that could kabosh this is if Holtby also goes to market.  You can bet at least one team that's competitive but is weak on goaltending will offer crazy money for one of these guys - but if WSH doesn't re-sign Holtby JB will have more leverage if Markstrom goes to market too.    I think his next contact will be in the 25 million range - nothing less then that. 

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The first part is absolutely true - JB could have given up on him in a minor Lack like trade many times but didnt.    The latter part is not going to happen.  When he's done his contract he will be getting top ten money - likely in the 5.5-6.25 range for 4-6 years. He won't risk - and neither will his agent - not cashing in now when he can and hoping for another deal later.   The only thing that could kabosh this is if Holtby also goes to market.  You can bet at least one team that's competitive but is weak on goaltending will offer crazy money for one of these guys - but if WSH doesn't re-sign Holtby JB will have more leverage if Markstrom goes to market too.    I think his next contact will be in the 25 million range - nothing less then that. 

JB could consider a sign and trade, Carolina has some interesting D. 

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

This team needs to straighten up defensively, they're playing offence like a top 10 team, defending like a bottom 10 team and goaltending like a top 5 team. Not a bad recipe but it's going to get exposed badly near the end of the season and the playoffs.

This is on Green to tighten up our defensive structure because it's not one or two guys, it's everyone.

Exactly.  Green’s philosophy of attack all the time with two deep forcheckers gets us into deep trouble. 

40 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I notice that the forwards play a 3 man deep on the forecheck which is leading to a lot of odd man rushes and often leaving the defensemen in a bad predicament in gap control which leading to access to high danger chances.

Honestly, I think the Canucks play on the side of being too aggressive on the forecheck leading to a lot of plays going the other way and being hemmed in for so long.

Exactly!  Green clearly coaches this attacking forecheck even when the other team has clear possession.  

4 hours ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Have patience.

We were never going to be a legitimate Cup threat this year. We're on pace to be exactly what we thought we were, a bubble team and likely an easy first round out. And that's okay. Even if we get absolutely slaughtered it'll be motivation heading into the off-season for the kids.

We're still filled with a bunch of temporary plug in players and a ways away from having a defined core, especially on the back end. Those things will come into their own over time as we find out what we have in our prospects.

Winning the Pacific makes it entirely possible for us to go two rounds, just saying!

4 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

someone actually posts data

would have been a good idea for the OP to do so

Yearly averages do hide trends.  I haven’t drilled down the numbers but different pundits like Woodley who have access to expensive proprietary advanced stats (that we don’t) say that we have been bleeding chances pretty badly.

He uses it to argue that Markstrom is worthy of the Vezina.  Once you adjust for expected goals, he rises right to #1 in the league.

This team is still a work in progress, Getting the core pieces together is only the start.

We still have a lot of bottom 6 fodder to get rid of, whether thats done with a trade, demotion to AHL, buy out or mutual agreement they still need to figure out who the bottom 6 will be going forward.

Getting into the playoffs this season is the first goal. What they do in the playoffs and how they fare will depend a lot on who they draw. If Winnipeg gets in we will not do well as we have not played them well the last few years.

Drawing Edmonton, Calgary even Vegas would be a better draw then the Jets.

Nashville would be great for us but thats one round. We need to prove we can play with the other big boys in the west first.

Its like when we had  the Naslund Bertuzzi team. We were great but couldnt get over the hump. We lost top the Oilers in second round. The Wild also took us out. It always comes down to who you get matched up with and who you dont.

think 82 when LA took out the Oilers and we beat Calgary. We didnt play a plus 500 team until we hit the islanders in the finals. I think this season just getting to the playoffs and getting some experience is valuable.Then we can assess what we have and what we still need.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly.  Green’s philosophy of attack all the time with two deep forcheckers gets us into deep trouble. 

Look at the bright side, this teams already scored more goals then two of the recent rebuild years ... just looking at the scoring leaders after 58 games looks better then what it used to be with Sedin, Sedin, Vanek whomever whomever whomever  ... so there's that side too.