The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian kick Cernak in the Chest - Now with Poll

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Let's see what people think for punishment  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

forget 2011, anyone who watches NHL hockey knows Boston is off in its own special little corner at DoPS. This would be 1/2 a season if it was Burr back in the day. 

The proof is pretty obvious. Blatant really. The NHL, while home to the best hockey on the planet, is a horribly run league that employs substandard officials. Their useless department of player safety is so inconsistent in it's rulings that it bears direct responsibility in players like Chara and Kassian doing what they do. If the dops was a consistent department actually run without bias and interjection from certain owners, those players would know that their actions would result in actually serious penalties.

• Cheers 2

This is going to be an interesting outcome. A couple of thoughts:

- Absolutely an intentional kick. Very dangerous. A suspension is absolutely coming, even though it didn't result in injury.

- Kassian didn't exactly kick him as hard as he could. Doing so might have resulted in damage. If he missed the target and hit him in the throat.... well... 

- This is gonna suck for Edmonton having McJesus out as well. They will fall in the standings for sure. Although Kassian seems to have gotten his stuff together, he still does bonehead things.

At the end of the day, I don't think the league can let him off too lightly. Actions like this can literally kill people, so a message has to be sent. Combined with his suspension history, I see anywhere from 5-10 games, and if they REALLY want to send a message I can actually see more... but somehow I imagine the suspension will indeed fall in that range.

Throw the book at him. Guy has been suspended so many times, and very recently as well after the MT drama. I think he's done for the season, but not the playoffs - but only because I don't think they'll make it heyoooo!

Seriously, tho, Kassian is a mindless bonehead who's really going to hurt someone. We've seen guys cut accidentally by seemingly innocuous moments with a skate; imagine if his intentional kick sliced him open. Yeesh.

Shut him down for the year.

• Huggy Bear 1

I really think he needs something in the 11 - 20 range. This was an incredibly dangerous action. He had time to think before he acted, and no matter what he says, this wasn't just a matter of him trying to get his leg free. It was already free, he kicked out in frustration and anger. It doesn't take that much of an impact to do serious damage, especially if Cernak shifted suddenly and got hit in the throat. IF that happened, Kassian would be facing criminal charges, not just a suspension.

I'll be disappointed if they give him less than 10, but I have a feeling they will.

OP I can not vote in your poll as a fine or nothing is not an option in the top part. 
However the DOPeS will probably suspend him for 3-5 games because of all the over blown hype even though Chara’s cross check was far worse. 
What a lot of people don’t realize that hockey players wear shoulder pads that include chest protection. Cernak was in no danger of being cut. 

Edited by spur1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spur1 said:

OP I can not vote in your poll as a fine or nothing is not an option in the top part. 
However the DOPeS will probably suspend him for 3-5 games because of all the over blown hype even though Chara’s cross check was far worse. 
What a lot of people don’t realize that hockey players wear shoulder pads that include chest protection. Cernak was in no danger of being cut. 

Some things aren't just about how much danger that specific situation created but how much could be created. Even with chest protection it was incredibly dangerous because if the other guy had moved or someone had hit Kass's leg at that exact moment he could have slit that guy's throat.

The NHL simply can NOT allow players to use their skates as weapons. Ever. That is a line that must not be crossed and should be taken extremely seriously because it could get someone killed. These are grownups. Not kicking other people shouldn't be a major hardship for them.

I have a couple of thought pool n this I wanted to share.

I think he'll get 6-8. He intentionally kicked a player and theres no place in the NHL for that kind of behavior. He is a repeat offender and seems to just not learn. It's a system that ramps up punishment for that type of player.

However I think people are overreacting. What would be your natural reaction if I pulled your leg and you were uncomfortable? The same? Possibly harder? I actually give him credit for not destroying him.

If he wasn't a repeat offender I'd give him 2. Being a repeat offender I think he gets 7.

Edited by 73 Percent

20 minutes ago, poetica said:

Some things aren't just about how much danger that specific situation created but how much could be created. Even with chest protection it was incredibly dangerous because if the other guy had moved or someone had hit Kass's leg at that exact moment he could have slit that guy's throat.

The NHL simply can NOT allow players to use their skates as weapons. Ever. That is a line that must not be crossed and should be taken extremely seriously because it could get someone killed. These are grownups. Not kicking other people shouldn't be a major hardship for them.

Bull. Guess they better not even get on the ice then, because we all know how dangerous that can be. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. 

15 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Bull. Guess they better not even get on the ice then, because we all know how dangerous that can be. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. 

That's 12 pounds of problematic in a 5 pound bag.

But your gender issues aside, rules exist for a reason. The existence of some risk is not the acceptance of any and all risks. Your workplace has safety rules and they deserve no less.

• Wat 1