The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van - Wild

Doogie

20 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

The X factor is Min owner. I have no idea how Min is doing profit wise and how patient the fan base is. 

Leipold has no problem spending right up to the cap.  He is fed up of mediocrity and doesn't want to make the playoffs to just make the playoffs. He wants to win a Cup.  He's the one that tasked Fenton to evaluate their former core and make the necessary moves.  He doesn't want good but not good enough. 

Guerin's role is to build an elite Cup contending team - not just a team that gets into the playoffs.  That's why it really doesn't surprise me when Friedman says the ask for Dumba is an elite C1 or a C2 with 2x 1st round picks.  Anything less and it doesn't improve their team and they will continue to be stuck in no man's land. 

Guerin says he's not interested in making a trade for the sake of making a trade.   There are empty seats but it's inevitable given where they are right now.  The fanbase sound impatient to get Kaprisov over.  Fiala looks to be breaking out so there's some buzz there too.  

They only have 4 more games to the TDL.  

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Boeser by himself is worth more than Dumba.  And we add Demko too?  :lol:

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

GM’s use hockey writers as their propaganda puppets.  Boeser is worth more than Dumba.  That’s a fact. 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually, Boeser drives play.  He’s a great skill and an extremely high hockey IQ.  He’d be Minnesota’s best play maker.  Moot point though.  He’s a piece of our young core.  

Plus, Dumba is not an improvement over Stecher.  Their point totals are similar, and (when factoring in their plus minus numbers) they are pretty much a wash five on five.  Stecher is cheaper, and gives us the same five on five.  

The original posters offer to get Dumba is just too high for me.  I kind of agree with Alf on this one about Boeser being worth Dumba on his own.

Their are 2 issues then:

1. Should the Canucks even consider trading a proven 22 year old top line winger?

2. Would Minny even consider the deal? They stated they want a #1C.  That is totally unrealistic imo because #1Cs are worth a ton and Dumba has had a poor year.

As for Alf saying Dumba is not an improvement over Stecher, I wanted to look into it a bit just for my own information.

STECHER:  25 yrs old; 5'10" 186, right shot; UFA $2.325 million aav

image.png.976373b6f88f607a377eb8175ca8bd10.png

DUMBA:  25 yrs old; 6'0" 182, right shot; 3 yrs left on contract after this year $6.0 million aav

image.png.5a5b3f7c164566ff0eba86d8804011c3.png

This year Dumba has twice as many points as Stecher in basically the same amount of games.  

Stecher has zero power play points this year.

Dumba has 7 power play points this year and plays 7 mins more per game than Stecher which is where the difference in points comes from imo.

Dumba has the same amount of points as Edler is 10 more games played than Edler.

Dumba has only a couple more points than Tanev.

Dumba had one high scoring season and the rest were just ok.

Alf is not far off saying there is not a big difference between Stecher and Dumba. That surprises me a bit.

My Verdict:

I would not do this deal. If I was even to entertain trading Boeser to shore up the defense, it would have to be for a defense man that does at least everything that Dumba does, but also had some serious size and bite to him.

Just my two cents.

Now if Minny was to take Loui, Schaller, and Baer along with Boeser would we do it? That is a lot of cap to get rid of....who knows.

EDIT:  I would much much rather JB tried to get Ristolainen out of Buffalo. Don't know what it would take.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, Jtutino said:

Dumba isnt a high end puck moving defender.. the guy has less assists than Tanev. Hes a rugged defender that plays way bigger than his size. This is the only season in the last 5 years that we havent struggled to score goals and it seems everyone wants to trade away are depth. Brock is having a tough season on the ice but still could reach 60 points and he's dealing with alot of off ice stuff aswell. It was almost predictable he would have a down year but he has lots of character and he'll bounce back!

Dumba plays a lot like how I think people would like Woo to develop into- from a influence/developmental perspective it's interesting.

This is a great proposal. Dumba would be an awesome fit in Vancouver. He is having a bit of a down year but scored 50 points two years ago and was around that pace last season. He is under a good contract, still young at 25, shoots right and plays with a bit.

Given the fact he is having a down year a trade across for Boeser might be plausible. Given Brock is from Minnesota he could be a local hero to build their new team around. 

I like where you are coming from on the goalie swap but from a cap perspective it might be difficult. 

Now the question is - what happens to Tanev? It is a toss-up between signing in Vancouver or Toronto. If we lose him in the offseason our defense is messed up. If we have Dumba we could let him walk. If we kept both that would be great. 

Looking at this season it makes sense to include Stecher in the deal as we would be upgrading that position, but it might not hurt to have him as depth either. I get where you are coming from with the goalie but it might be hard to pull off from a cap perspective. 

Here is what I could see:

To Minnesota
Boeser
Stecher
Baertschi

To Vancouver
Dumba
Galchenyuk

Galchenyuk gives us another RW option in our top 6 for this season. 

Miller Pettersson Virtanen

Pearson Horvat Galchenyuk

Roussel Gaudette Ferland

Sutter Beagle Eriksson

Hughes Tanev

Edler Dumba

Tryamkin Myers 

Benn or Fantenberg