The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Wild fire Bruce Boudreau, name Dean Evason as interim head coach

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

They need to hope the next CBA gives each team three of those no penalty buyouts.  Are there any worse contracts than the three anchors of:  Suter, Parise, and Zucerello?

I mean their whole core is in their mid 30’s and yes those contracts are bad. They got a few decent young players but they are all more complementary players if they reach their potential. Who’s going to lead that team going forward Spurgeon? Who’s gonna be their goalie and who’s gonna score the goals in a couple years. Maybe I’m not seeing it but it seems to me they just want to be mediocre and in a couple years really bad 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I mean their whole core is in their mid 30’s and yes those contracts are bad. They got a few decent young players but they are all more complementary players if they reach their potential. Who’s going to lead that team going forward Spurgeon? Who’s gonna be their goalie and who’s gonna score the goals in a couple years. Maybe I’m not seeing it but it seems to me they just want to be mediocre and in a couple years really bad 

They've also hemorrhaged young assets for little return over the last several years. Granlund, Tuch, Neidereiter, Coyle all off the top of my head. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

17 minutes ago, reyezone said:

They've also hemorrhaged young assets for little return over the last several years. Granlund, Tuch, Neidereiter, Coyle all off the top of my head. 

Tuch was an expansion mistake and the Wild could sure use Haula today.

Niederreiter, Coyle and Granlund were good but not good enough.  The Wild made the playoffs but were unable to go deep.  The Wild want to win a Cup and it was apparent they were stuck in no man's land with that core. They had to shake things up.  

Fiala is becoming the game breaker Fenton described and few Wild fans would revert that trade now.  Niederreiter is struggling in Carolina and although Rask was a pitiful return - his buyout cap hit is only going to be 1.3M which is manageable.  Donato for Coyle was a win for the Bruins but Coyle was not able to carry a line.  In Boston they have a top line so he's not under the same pressure as in Minnesota. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think there's something seriously wrong with your team Bill Guerin. It's not actually the coaches fault.

Guerin may have been a really good player in his heyday, but he's inherited a mess that can't be fixed through firing people.

Think they need a full tear down and rebuild. Not sure that tweaking the lineup can fix this, and really don't believe that a coach change is going to make the difference that they are looking for. Maybe a short term bump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I think there's something seriously wrong with your team Bill Guerin. It's not actually the coaches fault.

Guerin may have been a really good player in his heyday, but he's inherited a mess that can't be fixed through firing people.

he looks out of it in this photo

image.thumb.png.5e9697f1eb50f6a25f48654bf174b6d2.png

• Haha 1

They will conduct a full search in the off-season.  It was something that Guerin had been thinking about for a while.  Boudreau was in the final year of his deal.  They blew a 2 goal lead last night and those 3rd period meltdowns have been happening a lot this season.  

I'm not sure why people are so quick to doubt Guerin, right after he knocked that Zucker trade out of the park.

Perhaps there were signs that the team knew Boudreau was a lame duck, and some guys were slacking. If they knew for sure he wasn't coming back, and his contract is up anyways, it's not a big loss. It's a desperate move, but one with very little cost to the organization - might as well give it a try.

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Think they need a full tear down and rebuild. Not sure that tweaking the lineup can fix this, and really don't believe that a coach change is going to make the difference that they are looking for. Maybe a short term bump.

They actually have quite a lot of youth in their lineup and there are still some inconsistencies in their play given them being so early into their careers.  

There's really not much to tear down.  It's more about patience and letting players develop.  Virtanen was drafted in 2014 and has still no reached his potential - why would the Wild trade players who were drafted the same year or later than him.   

They are still the best team in the league at limiting quality chances against.  There is no reason to dismantle their D-corps.  Goaltending has been a letdown with how solid they play in front of their goalies.  They have Kahkonen coming though - he was drafted the same year as Demko and showed really well during his emergency recall. They might need to find a stop-gap goalie this summer and buy out the final year of Dubnyk - don't see that as an issue. 

Koivu is UFA.  Staal has only 1 year left.  Parise and Suter aren't going anywhere (NMC and recapture contracts à la Luongo) but they are still playing important roles.  Spurgeon just got extended by Guerin.  Really the only veteran contract that is a nuisance is Zuccarello's and he has a NMC.   

They moved Zucker to create a spot for Kaprisov.  Sturm will replace Koivu.  Their young players seem too young to give up on.  Foligno has been great and is only 28 - would think they will even extend him.

Fiala ??? Kaprisov

Parise Staal Zuccarello

Foligno ErikssonEk Kunin

Greenway Sturm Hartman

That 2nd line is the issue going forward as well as C1 but Parise has 21 goals on the season. Staal will be in his final year.  They need to add players in the system to find that C1 / C2 and 2x top 6 wingers.   There's Boldy, Khovanov, Beckman and they have 2 x 1st round picks this season.   No guarantee that these prospects make it but adding that 1st round pick while opening a spot for Kaprisov was a good move for Zucker.   

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Hard to tear down with those old guys and their nasty contracts though, isn’t it?  I think they’re screwed until those anchors are gone.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hard to tear down with those old guys and their nasty contracts though, isn’t it?  I think they’re screwed until those anchors are gone.  

There's only 1 bad contract - Zuccarello's.

The Wild are the best team at limiting quality scoring chances against but goaltending has been below average.  Sutter is still a top pairing D and is on pace for 55 pts on the season.   Why would they want to get rid of him?   Parise has 21 goals on the season.  For now these players are still efficient - who knows in a few years but they are not the problem right now.