The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Wild fire Bruce Boudreau, name Dean Evason as interim head coach

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, mll said:

There's only 1 bad contract - Zuccarello's.

The Wild are the best team at limiting quality scoring chances against but goaltending has been below average.  Sutter is still a top pairing D and is on pace for 55 pts on the season.   Why would they want to get rid of him?   Parise has 21 goals on the season.  For now these players are still efficient - who knows in a few years but they are not the problem right now.  

Old core guys who eat huge cap dollars and are only good enough to keep a team in the middle of the standing are terrible.  That’s the worst place fir a franchise to be.  They draft 10 to 20 every year, and get no new young elite guys to build around.  They are totally screwed. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Old core guys who eat huge cap dollars and are only good enough to keep a team in the middle of the standing are terrible.  That’s the worst place fir a franchise to be.  They draft 10 to 20 every year, and get no new young elite guys to build around.  They are totally screwed. 

Even without them the Wild would probably still be middle of the pack.  They have depth.  Even without Sutter their D would still be really solid.  They need to find a C1 / C2 and a decent goalie.  The goalie they can find in the summer and have Kahkonen in house.  The C1 they must draft and maybe can find a C2 in free agency.  Their young players need to continue to progress.  

I get the no man's land comment.  That's where they were with Niederreiter, Coyle, Granlund - good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do anything.  It sure sounds like Guerin is not going to settle for mediocrity and players have to show they want it or they could be out.   Fletcher kept on finding excuses and making changes on the fringe and they lost years.  Doesn't sound like that will be Guerin.  

Edited by mll

3 hours ago, mll said:

Even without them the Wild would probably still be middle of the pack.  They have depth.  Even without Sutter their D would still be really solid.  They need to find a C1 / C2 and a decent goalie.  The goalie they can find in the summer and have Kahkonen in house.  The C1 they must draft and maybe can find a C2 in free agency.  Their young players need to continue to progress.  

I get the no man's land comment.  That's where they were with Niederreiter, Coyle, Granlund - good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to do anything.  It sure sounds like Guerin is not going to settle for mediocrity and players have to show they want it or they could be out.   Fletcher kept on finding excuses and making changes on the fringe and they lost years.  Doesn't sound like that will be Guerin.  

Suter is 35 and signed through 2025 at 7.5.  Parise is 35 and signed through 2025 at 7.5.  I don’t see how that bodes well for the wilds future unless they embrace some form of a rebuild. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, mll said:

Probably not making more trades.  Guerin was very clear that he is not interested in making a trade to make a trade. 

Here is our real answer? Who cares what Guerin says. He's not telling the whle truth.

I mean Boudreau;s  contract was up. But they were playing better than most expected?

16 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Minnesota: giphy.gif

I so agree with this characature of Minny.

What a bunch of goofs.   

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Suter is 35 and signed through 2025 at 7.5.  Parise is 35 and signed through 2025 at 7.5.  I don’t see how that bodes well for the wilds future unless they embrace some form of a rebuild. 

They just traded veteran Zucker for futures.  Galchenyuk is an upcoming UFA.  The trade was motivated to get prospect Addison, that 1st round pick and open up a spot on the wings for Kaprisov.  That's a rebuilding move.  

5 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Here is our real answer? Who cares what Guerin says. He's not telling the whle truth.

I mean Boudreau;s  contract was up. But they were playing better than most expected?

I so agree with this characature of Minny.

What a bunch of goofs.   

Who is he going to trade though.  They have mostly youth, or unmovable contracts due to NMCs, contract term, and/or performance.

Unmovable:  Parise, Suter, Zuccarello, Rask, Pateryn, Dubnyk, Koivu (UFA but apparently uninterested to waive his NMC)

Maybe Staal - 1 year left but a limited NTC (probably turned it into a virtual no trade by selecting teams who won't target him) and it's not like they have a replacement in sight.

Guerin himself extended Spurgeon.  He apparently really likes what Foligno brings on and off the ice - don't see him going anywhere unless an overpayment.  Maybe Hartman but he has 1 year left.

Friedman quote in his 31 thoughts:

Guerin told the Star-Tribune’s Sarah McLellan, “If there is quit, there will be more trades,” but the Wild told him not to worry with a 4–0 shutout of Vegas. What he’s hoping for is the the Ryan Donatos, Jordan Greenways and Luke Kunins take advantage of Jason Zucker’s move to Pittsburgh. (Left unsaid is that it also creates a 2020–21 opening for Kirill Kaprizov.) 

“Don’t assume more is coming,” the GM said. “That’s not necessarily the case.” 

Guerin wouldn’t discuss specifics, but, according to industry buzz, the most asked-about player on his roster is Jonas Brodin, followed by Mathew Dumba. (I’d bet there’s a bit for Marcus Foligno, too.) I don’t get the sense he’s inclined to do anything with either, unless it involves an elite centre, or maybe a No. 2 centre, providing that includes something extra — like a couple of first-rounders or something along those lines. 

Whatever the case, Guerin could have made several moves already, but showed patience. The biggest beneficiary may be the Wild itself, because it would have been easy to give up on Kevin Fiala, now on a tear.

“Big difference,” Guerin said. “He’s driven.”

Don't really see Guerin wasting his best trade chips unless he gets what the team really needs.  Moving Soucy makes limited sense because he's the reason that would allow Guerin to move Dumba or Brodin.

The quote by Friedman seems to suggest that he's not quite ready to give up on their youth.  ErikssonEK and Fiala are not mentioned but they are turning into key players.  

I just don't see a lot of trade options.  I also don't think he wants to sell for the sake of selling.  He seems to have waited out Rutherford to get Addison and didn't take back a cap dump with term.

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, mll said:

Who is he going to trade though. 

I wasn't really chiming in on that debate. 

What I do feel is statements like this;

4 hours ago, mll said:

“If there is quit, there will be more trades,”

Both tip his hand? Who will want the guys that are giving up on a team. And make the team look dumb. 

Looks like Geurin is getting his tank now that he traded Zucker (the only guy who can score) and fired the coach who was leading them to wins.  Wild lose 2-0 to the lowly Sharks.  In a race to the bottom got to give credit to Geurin.  He’s going to do his best to catch the other bottom feeders.  Now all he has to do is figure out how to dump three of the league’s worst contracts without giving up his new found top 10 pick (s) to do so.