The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] (or is that potposal?): Jake Virtanen for Noah Dobson

To New York Islanders:  Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver Canucks:  Noah Dobson

Islanders get someone that can be more of an immediate help (JV) which will suit them since they are legit dark horses, while the Canucks get a great young long term piece in their biggest long term positional need (ND on right side defense).    

I do want to make a few things clear here:

1) I don’t hate Virtanen.  Quite the contrary, I love the young man.   I’m just smart enough to know that in order to receive, you gotta give.  I think Graham James may have said that once.

2) Losing Virtanen would suck since he’s had a strong year and seems to be taking his game to the next level, but the Canucks should still be strong on the right side with Boeser, Eriksson, a returning Leivo, Ferland (if they Nucks use him there), or even a guy like Wayne Simmonds if the Canucks decide to go that route.  

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I’m just smart enough to know that in order to receive, you gotta give.  I think Graham James may have said that once.

A pedophilia joke, classy.  

Trade sucks, losing Virtanen is actually a big blow on the right side.  Boeser is banged up, Leivo is injured and Eriksson, lol, now that's a quality joke.  

Hard pass.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I think Graham James may have said that once.

Every so often I start feeling down on myself, then some one else says or does something really stupid; at that point I realize I'm actually doing ok.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

I'd pass on it. Would love to have Dobson, but we have good prospect depth on defense right now, Jake's speed and fore checking would be harder to replace right now.

He's playing well, turning into the effective player that we were hoping for, let's try just hanging on to him and see how high he can go!

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

To New York Islanders:  Jake Virtanen

To Vancouver Canucks:  Noah Dobson

Islanders get someone that can be more of an immediate help (JV) which will suit them since they are legit dark horses, while the Canucks get a great young long term piece in their biggest long term positional need (ND on right side defense).    

I do want to make a few things clear here:

1) I don’t hate Virtanen.  Quite the contrary, I love the young man.   I’m just smart enough to know that in order to receive, you gotta give.  I think Graham James may have said that once.

2) Losing Virtanen would suck since he’s had a strong year and seems to be taking his game to the next level, but the Canucks should still be strong on the right side with Boeser, Eriksson, a returning Leivo, Ferland (if they Nucks use him there), or even a guy like Wayne Simmonds if the Canucks decide to go that route.  

Interesting proposal, however the bolded content is pathetic in how disgusting it is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Right wing is our weakest position.

We have a number of young D coming and in the system. 

Not as high end prospects as Dobson but I don't think Jake gets you Dobson anyway.

Actually, with Lind and Podkolzin coming up on the right-side (maybe even Lockwood, Jasek, and Plasek), and Hoglander and possibly McDonough/Gadjovich on the left-side, in addition to our current wingers, the flanks are probably the Canucks greatest area of strength moving forward...... but I digress.

As stated above, I think the Canucks would do it, but can't see how the Islanders would.  How about Juolevi + for Dobson? 

1 hour ago, Keenan's Moustache said:

Actually, with Lind and Podkolzin coming up on the right-side (maybe even Lockwood, Jasek, and Plasek), and Hoglander and possibly McDonough/Gadjovich on the left-side, in addition to our current wingers, the flanks are probably the Canucks greatest area of strength moving forward...... but I digress.

As stated above, I think the Canucks would do it, but can't see how the Islanders would.  How about Juolevi + for Dobson? 

Lind may be ready to take some minutes later in the year, but More likely to be first call next year.

podz isn’t even an option until the end of next year if we can sign him.

Lockwood’s stock has dropped significantly.

Hogs is primarily left wing. 
Bailey and MAC are the primary options this season. 
Cant see Benning dropping one of his top right wingers for a d prospect while leading the division especially since currently right wing is our thinnest position at the NHL level. 

Hey guys,

I do apologize for my Graham James comment.    My buds and I in real life have a really dark sense of humor and are incredibly thick skinned, and so I sometimes forget that not everyone is like that.   Everyone in real life knows that we’re just messing around but I do realize that you can’t just go around saying outlandish $&!# if people don’t know you.  Lesson learned, and I won’t make those kinds of comments again.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Absolutely no to this. Dobson has shown very little past his high draft position. 

If he even develops into a decent NHLer, we would be on the hook for his development and subsequent roster spot. His future is unknown but I would be floored if he ever became a top pairing guy.

Even if Jake stops improving, his current skillset is something that will most definitely help us going forward AND right now. 

Very high risk trade, imo.

• Cheers 1