The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gaudette for Ristolainen

I was just reading the proposed Boeser for Dumba thread and I feel it would not be a great trade.

So I was wondering whom we could target to upgrade our defense and I once again ended up back on Ristolainen.

Rasmus Ristolainen:  6'4"  215, right shot, 25 yrs old; 26 points so far this year.

On the Buffalo boards they say they need a 2nd line centre bad. When I looked at their centres I saw this:

Eichel - already at 73 points

Reinhart - 48 points; usually a winger with Eichel it looks like

Girgensons - 15 points

Larsson - 13 points

Canucks centres:

Petey - 57 points; although wing with Miller usually

Miller - 57 points

Horvat - 46 points

Gaudette - 27 points

Sutter - 15 points in 33 games

So basically, Buffalo's 2nd line centre has 15 points which is terrible. We have five centres with at least that.

Would any of you do the following (cap needs to even out as both teams are cap strapped)?

Vancouver trades:

Gaudette (900k)

Stecher (2.3 mill)

Leivo (1.5 mill ufa)

for

Buffalo trades:

Ristolainen (5.4 mill)

Probably need to tweak one side or the other....I threw in Leivo for the cap but also because Buffalo says they need offense and Leivo was doing quite well before the injury.

The main deal is Gaudette for Risto.  They badly need a 2C which Gaudette could be for them and he should continue to develop. Gaudette is already better than anyone they have at 2C. In fact Gaud already has almost twice as many points as anyone that plays 2C for them.   I love Gaudette but we do have Sutter (who I doubt Buffalo would take) and Madden in the pipeline to replace Gaudette.

Ristolainen is big upgrade over Stecher in size and nastiness. He can play big minutes if needed.  He has also been playing huge minutes for Buffalo and been getting shredded plus minus wise. I bet if he played with a guy like Edler his plus minus would suddenly be very good. 

Although I love Gaudette, I would do this trade.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

its a great proposal but I think with madden coming up we could afford to give up Gaudette

he has 27 points in 48 games with very little PP time and that is almost 50 point pace as a 23yr old playing 3C. I would keep him. I do not think we lack good puck movers, we lack a real physical shut down d man in the mold of someone like Andy Greene, 

if we are giving buffalo Gaudette and stecher for risotto, I would want a 2nd rounder back.

I would not do the trade however. 

• Cheers 2

Giving up Gaudette would be a difficult decision, but top pairing Dmen aren't easy to come by. Risto is still young, has size and is a right shot. If giving up Gaudette, Stecher and a mid/late-round pick for Risto: (I don't think Gaud and Stech get it done)

Hughes - Ristolainen

Edler - Myers

Benn - Tanev

Fantenberg

Rafferty

Juolevi

Tryamkin*

Is it worth it? I think so, when I consider how our D is currently allowing so many shots. The D is the weakest link on this team, and if they want success in the playoffs, they'll need to be better defensively.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Giving up Gaudette would be a difficult decision, but top pairing Dmen aren't easy to come by. Risto is still young, has size and is a right shot. If giving up Gaudette, Stecher and a mid/late-round pick for Risto: (I don't think Gaud and Stech get it done)

Hughes - Ristolainen

Edler - Myers

Benn - Tanev

Fantenberg

Rafferty

Juolevi

Tryamkin*

Is it worth it? I think so, when I consider how our D is currently allowing so many shots. The D is the weakest link on this team, and if they want success in the playoffs, they'll need to be better defensively.

Gaud and Stecher is fair value for Ristolainen.  Do we let Tanev walk then? 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Gaud and Stecher is fair value for Ristolainen.  Do we let Tanev walk then? 

Cap space unlikely available if we acquire Risto and between him and Myers, the brunt of the minutes will be absorbed. Add Tryamkin as the "bottom pairing" guy for cheaper. I imagine teams will focus their offensive entries mostly against our left side D if this is the case.

22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Ristolainen

Edler - Myers

Benn - Tanev

Fantenberg

Rafferty

Juolevi

Tryamkin*

No brainer for me. Love Gaudette, but keeping in mind that we have Madden and Focht who are looking decent coming up while someone like Jasek could potentially fill a spot, adding a top pair RD is way more important. However there's no way Gaudette and Stecher get the deal done.

• Cheers 1

Sorry to nitpick, but is Petey winger with Miller? Miller takes the draws but I thought Petey plays the role of a centerman in terms of positioning/coverage in the defensive zone.

As for the trade, I'm not strongly against it but in Gaudette we are giving up an integral scoring depth. The scoring depth has been one of the main keys to our success and losing Gaudette, who is on pace for 40+ points on a full season, may result in a loss of scoring depth, which IMO is going to be key to winning in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, khay said:

Sorry to nitpick, but is Petey winger with Miller? Miller takes the draws but I thought Petey plays the role of a centerman in terms of positioning/coverage in the defensive zone.

As for the trade, I'm not strongly against it but in Gaudette we are giving up an integral scoring depth. The scoring depth has been one of the main keys to our success and losing Gaudette, who is on pace for 40+ points on a full season, may result in a loss of scoring depth, which IMO is going to be key to winning in the playoffs.

Petey is our number one centre, and close to the best in the league at that position.  He plays the centre responsibility defensively for the entire 200 feet.  Face-off does not define a centre.  It’s the Defensive responsibilities that do.  JB accelerated the rebuild when he saw Petey play number one centre (as one if the best in the league) last season.  Not many centres can keep their point totals up while being defensively responsible (and that means all over the ice, and not just in the D zone). Petey is one of a handful in the league who can do that.  

So no, Miller is not playing centre.  

Edited by Alflives

First time I can think of where we have both depth at centre and depth of scoring. 
Risto is a nice player but has his issues as well. 
We are flush with second pairing guys, only really have one top pairing guy. 
If going to burn assets and cap space should be for true top pairing D.

would rather keep Gaudette and bring inTryamkin or run Rafferty for a while and see what he can do (or both!)

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I was just reading the proposed Boeser for Dumba thread and I feel it would not be a great trade.

So I was wondering whom we could target to upgrade our defense and I once again ended up back on Ristolainen.

Rasmus Ristolainen:  6'4"  215, right shot, 25 yrs old; 26 points so far this year.

On the Buffalo boards they say they need a 2nd line centre bad. When I looked at their centres I saw this:

Eichel - already at 73 points

Reinhart - 48 points; usually a winger with Eichel it looks like

Girgensons - 15 points

Larsson - 13 points

Canucks centres:

Petey - 57 points; although wing with Miller usually

Miller - 57 points

Horvat - 46 points

Gaudette - 27 points

Sutter - 15 points in 33 games

So basically, Buffalo's 2nd line centre has 15 points which is terrible. We have five centres with at least that.

Would any of you do the following (cap needs to even out as both teams are cap strapped)?

Vancouver trades:

Gaudette (900k)

Stecher (2.3 mill)

Leivo (1.5 mill ufa)

for

Buffalo trades:

Ristolainen (5.4 mill)

Probably need to tweak one side or the other....I threw in Leivo for the cap but also because Buffalo says they need offense and Leivo was doing quite well before the injury.

The main deal is Gaudette for Risto.  They badly need a 2C which Gaudette could be for them and he should continue to develop. Gaudette is already better than anyone they have at 2C. In fact Gaud already has almost twice as many points as anyone that plays 2C for them.   I love Gaudette but we do have Sutter (who I doubt Buffalo would take) and Madden in the pipeline to replace Gaudette.

Ristolainen is big upgrade over Stecher in size and nastiness. He can play big minutes if needed.  He has also been playing huge minutes for Buffalo and been getting shredded plus minus wise. I bet if he played with a guy like Edler his plus minus would suddenly be very good. 

Although I love Gaudette, I would do this trade.

I’d definitely make that deal.    Not sure if Buffalo would bite on that though.   I think they’d have their sights set higher with regards to a Risto return.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I’d definitely make that deal.    Not sure if Buffalo would bite on that though.   I think they’d have their sights set higher with regards to a Risto return.

Yeah I would think they would want a proven top 6 center, probably in a 1 for 1 type of deal.  

• Upvote 1

I think it would be good to pick up a top pairing D for a 3rd line centre and 3rd pair dman plus picks.  I think that the reason it is being suggested as possible is because Risto is disgruntled and is maybe not a top pairing d on a team with a great top pairing.  I don't think I would change the Hughes Tanev pairing for this year and the way they are playing, I would try to re-sign Tanev for 2 years at a reasonable number.  I don't think we want to pay 6 million for Myers to be on the 3rd pairing for the next bunch of years.  With Tryamkin, OJ, Woo, Rafferty, Rathbone in the pipline, picking up a guy who is another 3rd or 4th defenceman seems unhelpful.  Gaudette is on the verge and has the spirit we want.  Risto I don't believe has the right spirit and likely has been tainted by all the losing in Buffalo.

However, I will defer to JB and his team.  If they think Risto is a top pairing dman, then this sounds like a deal we do.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dixon Ward said:

I think it would be good to pick up a top pairing D for a 3rd line centre and 3rd pair dman plus picks.  I think that the reason it is being suggested as possible is because Risto is disgruntled and is maybe not a top pairing d on a team with a great top pairing.  I don't think I would change the Hughes Tanev pairing for this year and the way they are playing, I would try to re-sign Tanev for 2 years at a reasonable number.  I don't think we want to pay 6 million for Myers to be on the 3rd pairing for the next bunch of years.  With Tryamkin, OJ, Woo, Rafferty, Rathbone in the pipline, picking up a guy who is another 3rd or 4th defenceman seems unhelpful.  Gaudette is on the verge and has the spirit we want.  Risto I don't believe has the right spirit and likely has been tainted by all the losing in Buffalo.

However, I will defer to JB and his team.  If they think Risto is a top pairing dman, then this sounds like a deal we do.

Well said. Thanks for the input.

You guys are probably right. Something of significance would have to be added to the OP.

Edited by Kanukfanatic