The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Gaudette for Ristolainen

6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh that's tough, as much as I'd like Risto, I think Gaudette is going to become a beast in this league. But sometimes, to get good players you need to trade good players.

I think so too. I think if we trade Gaud now it would be selling low

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Short term I like this deal, especially for the playoffs.  Sutter can easily step in as 3rd line centre without missing a beat. And Risto is a big (literally) upgrade over Stecher.  We’d be able to have a really good playoff run I think with this deal, especially if we added a right winger to play with BO.  

However, long term I’m not so sure.  Risto will be a UFA in a couple years, so not sure what he does.  Gaudette hasn’t even entered his prime yet so he could top out as a 2nd line centre.  Which would be a good problem to have since we have BO already in that position.  Another thing to consider is if Madden turns pro in the summer.  If he does and impresses then you have to look at trading one of our centres for a top tier defenceman.  We are looking at potentially changing at least 50% of our defence over the next 2 years so with all of our youth up front we could definitely flip one of them for D help.

We could also just wait it out and see what happens in a couple years with Risto and where Gaudette and Medden will be. That would be my preference. But getting Risto for this years playoff run is very tempting.  He could be the missing piece on the back end to help us win the division and potentially make it to the Western Conference finals.  Our only real competition in the West is St. Louis and Colorado.  Add Risto to the back end and all of a sudden we are competitive with both of those teams.  

Edited by Elias Pettersson

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Short term I like this deal, especially for the playoffs.  Sutter can easily step in as 3rd line centre without missing a beat. And Risto is a big (literally) upgrade over Stecher.  We’d be able to have a really good playoff run I think with this deal, especially if we added a right winger to play with BO.  

However, long term I’m not so sure.  Risto will be a UFA in a couple years, so not sure what he does.  Gaudette hasn’t even entered his prime yet so he could top out as a 2nd line centre.  Which would be a good problem to have since we have BO already in that position.  Another thing to consider is if Madden turns pro in the summer.  If he does and impresses then you have to look at trading one of our centres for a top tier defenceman.  We are looking at potentially changing at least 50% of our defence over the next 2 years so with all of our youth up front we could definitely flip one of them for D help.

We could also just wait it out and see what happens in a couple years with Risto and where Gaudette and Medden will be. That would be my preference. But getting Risto for this years playoff run is very tempting.  He could be the missing piece on the back end to help us win the division and potentially make it to the Western Conference finals.  Our only real competition in the West is St. Louis and Colorado.  Add Risto to the back end and all of a sudden we are competitive with both of those teams.  

Regarding this year, I could see us needing Gaud in the playoffs too though. I feel like we can't expect Sutter to last more than a series :/ 

23 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Regarding this year, I could see us needing Gaud in the playoffs too though. I feel like we can't expect Sutter to last more than a series :/ 

This is true.  But I think short term Risto would help us much more in this years playoffs than Gaudette.  Risto is a big upgrade over Stecher and we have Fatenberg and Benn who can rotate on the left side.  Our defence would be able to match up with St. Louis and Colorado.  Sutter would be fine playing 3rd line minutes.  He’s playing just as well as Gaudette right now and has much more experience.  Plus he’s much better on faceoffs.  So simply for a playoff run I would do it.  But long term I’m not so sure.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

interesting proposal, but I'd keep these two. I think Madden will turn out to be a real gem of a player

Gotta give up something to get something. It's a definite risk. But I'd feel better about trading Stecher or Benn (Or Both) then. 

It's also insurance in case another team goes nuts and offers Tanev a crazy deal. 

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

I think so too. I think if we trade Gaud now it would be selling low

Selling low on Gaud?  Are you sure that’s what you meant?  Your post if really confusing.  Gaud is worth a lot in trade right now.  Guy is playing centre, putting up points, feisty as hell, and just beat the crap out of some guy in his first fight.  

• Like 1

Don't be fooled by his surface numbers guys. It's largely PP time. 5 on 5 this guy is defensively poor - even moreso when trying to contain the top opposition players. If he hasn't figured out how to keep pucks out of his own net by now, I fear he never will.

Yes he gets points. They are good numbers, and they could even get higher if he came here, imo. But if you subtract the extra goals we would have against our already overwhelmed goalies, something is gonna give and it won't he pretty.

Then there is his salary while.we are strapped. Plus his pending UFA when we need cap even more.

I have no idea what Gaudette will become, but he shows really good promise and we would get a lot more for him if we wait. I am all for an upgrade on Stecher and using him as a sweetener to a deal, but I think this particular trade is the wrong target.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Selling low on Gaud?  Are you sure that’s what you meant?  Your post if really confusing.  Gaud is worth a lot in trade right now.  Guy is playing centre, putting up points, feisty as hell, and just beat the crap out of some guy in his first fight.  

yeah I still think he's underrated 

9 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

yeah I still think he's underrated 

Gaudette is appreciated in Vancouver. But we have been spoiled; Boeser, Hughes, Pettersson.

Gaud is having an excellent rookie season. On track for an 82 game equivilent of 45 points. Fabulous if ypu consider he was a 5th rounder.

Normally 45 pooits would have our town going nuts. Peter Schaefer had scuttlebutt acclimation as rookie of the year in Vancouvers pubs, and basements when he scored 31 points.  AG is a bit underhyped for sure!

I would still trade him for Risto, if they would?

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  But I think short term Risto would help us much more in this years playoffs than Gaudette.  Risto is a big upgrade over Stecher and we have Fatenberg and Benn who can rotate on the left side.  Our defence would be able to match up with St. Louis and Colorado.  Sutter would be fine playing 3rd line minutes.  He’s playing just as well as Gaudette right now and has much more experience.  Plus he’s much better on faceoffs.  So simply for a playoff run I would do it.  But long term I’m not so sure.

Why are you unsure long term? Our top 2 centers are better than Gaudette will ever be, we also have bottom 6 potential options. And if need be can find a 3rd line center in free agency. Risto is only 25, Gaudette is 23. Our RD depth going forward is very thin. Unless Woo greatly overachieves on his potential. We have depth options that make Leivo expendable. Hell, seems like we been playing better since he got injured. Stecher and Gaudette for Risto is an easy yes for me. Buffalo likely says heck no. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Why are you unsure long term? Our top 2 centers are better than Gaudette will ever be, we also have bottom 6 potential options. And if need be can find a 3rd line center in free agency. Risto is only 25, Gaudette is 23. Our RD depth going forward is very thin. Unless Woo greatly overachieves on his potential. We have depth options that make Leivo expendable. Hell, seems like we been playing better since he got injured. Stecher and Gaudette for Risto is an easy yes for me. Buffalo likely says heck no. 

100% agree.  Sabres would love to get Gaud (especially considering the obvious Middlestadt bustaroo) to play in that two spot behind Eichel.  They would have no interest in ?Stecher.  To get Risto would take Gaud plus a young D prospect, like Woo.  Sabres really do need a guy to play centre behind Eichel, and Gaud looks like he’s following the Kessler path to becoming a really good number two.  

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Yes this is true. Long term I mean Risto can walk in a couple years. But if we could lock him up long term then I agree with you. And we have Madden who could be a Gaudette replacement and might even be better as a 3rd line centre with his speed and 200’ game like his father. 

• Like 1

Considering how much Gaudette has grown over just his rookie season, I'd consider him a wild-card and untouchable at this point. Ristolainen is great, no doubt about it, but Gaudette is playing around 10 minutes a game scoring at a torrid pace and scoring clutch goals. 

We traded Grabner away far too soon for Ballard and look what happened there, and I've got a feeling Gaudette is going to be the same type of player - fast, skilled, tough at times but can score big goals for us. This kids potential right now is too high to be trading away until we know what he can bring. Green loves him too, he plays the right way and could easily be a 20-30 goal scorer for us next year.

I'd sit tight on Gaudette for now, he's one of the leagues best kept secrets.