The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TDL Strategy; Think Now, or Look Ahead?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Jim makes some moves this year, he's seen glimpses of how good the Canucks can be when they're all in. It's playoffs or bust. Hopefully Ferland comes back healthy and contributes. I could see any of the following being dealt: Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, Stecher or Benn. If any prospects are going, my guess it would be Lockwood or Madden.  

He didn't get a full game without suffering concussion like symptoms. Not going to happen unfortunately, I think he's on the last of his hockey playing days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Simmonds is probably the most we could afford, assuming that someone doesn't go crazy outbidding us. I could maybe see adding another depth 6/7 d man. 

But you never know, no one saw the Miller deal coming. I don't mind Jim doing something like this again and burning another 1st, if its for a true top 4 d with at least 3 years of term left. 

Simmonds, $5M cap hit, UFA in July is a true rental but is nothing like the 2 time 60 point player we remember.  The 31 year olds production has fallen off the table the same way it happened to Eriksson.  He could be done.  Buyer beware.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Jim makes some moves this year, he's seen glimpses of how good the Canucks can be when they're all in. It's playoffs or bust. Hopefully Ferland comes back healthy and contributes. I could see any of the following being dealt: Sutter, Baertschi, Schaller, Stecher or Benn. If any prospects are going, my guess it would be Lockwood or Madden.  

Ferland is done for the year, if not his career, guaranteed.

People so underrate Stecher.  And underappreciate his contributions.  Unless we can get an absolute steal, we need him badly here.

Is size important?  Yes

Is scoring important Yes

But for a defender, one of the most important aspects is moving the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone with possession.

Before Quinn, he was our top D in that. In '17 -'18, he was 4th in all the NHL at zone entries per 60. Look who he is ahead of in the graph.  Can't find any recent numbers but my eye test says he's only improving there.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/analytics-microdata-canucks-defencemen-2018

Entries-31.png

You need a good mix.  We have more size now in Myers, and hopefully Tram. We have an offensive scoring threat D in Hughes. But our team needs more players that can smartly, quickly move the puck out of the D zone under pressure, and skate it into the O zone, not just dump it.  I think this team would sorely miss Stecher's contributions to this team on a nightly basis. Defensively he has a +4 this season,  while newcomers, Myers, Benn, and Fantenberg are all in the negative.  I don't get how we can afford to trade him.

• Cheers 2

I would not be looking for any rental.  A hockey deal is fine but no rental this year.   If I were Benning, I would stay put and wait until off-season and I would also attempt to offer Baertschi for any picks with conditions that if Baertschi is play a game in the playoffs for 2nd rounder.  If he is a top 10 scorer in the playoffs, I would ask for 1st.   I think that this would be fair deal when considering that his contract doesn't expire until next season.   That would be the only move unless he has scouted other teams' players and find another Miller but no 1st round deal as a part of the package.

Tryamkin won't be coming back this season.   His KHL deal doesn't end on time.    Don't see us either renting or buying - any activity will be of a minor sort.   We won't sell because  the guys that are useful we need, and won't rent because we don't have the cap space.   Will be going into the post season with pretty much with what we have now barring LTIRs.

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Simmonds, $5M cap hit, UFA in July is a true rental but is nothing like the 2 time 60 point player we remember.  The 31 year olds production has fallen off the table the same way it happened to Eriksson.  He could be done.  Buyer beware.

I was thinking something like a 4th and maybe b-prospect where we have depth, in that kind of price range. 

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tryamkin won't be coming back this season.   His KHL deal doesn't end on time.    Don't see us either renting or buying - any activity will be of a minor sort.   We won't sell because  the guys that are useful we need, and won't rent because we don't have the cap space.   Will be going into the post season with pretty much with what we have now barring LTIRs.

That isn’t true.

It is the norm for them to get released from their KHL contracts as soon as their season is done if they want to come over.

He will be available as soon as his team is eliminated.  Whether we sign him or not, who knows.  If we get an injury post deadline, he would be one of very few options to add who would be eligible to play in the playoffs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think that JB has a shopping list/todo list going into deadline.

I don't know about that, wasn't there a TDL where he said afterwards nobody phoned him? I got the impression he didn't make any calls that year.

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

With ferland close to retiring,  i would assume they will be looking for his replacement at some point . Not often the deadline is a good time to look 4 a top 6 forward,  but ya never know . 

Ferland is probably done. But why trade away when Gaudette is playing good? He is a replacement player, he was assigned to Utica it was only a injury that got him to the big club. Wasn't the farm supposed to be where the team got new players too?

Markstom's value will never be higher than the next two weeks unfortunately Demko's gets higher the closer expansion gets.

Isn't this Benning's make it or break it year? So I do expect some big move, maybe trading away another pick to make cap space and more to get a rental.

I hope not Simmonds, his game has tanked, all those years have caught up to him.

I hope Benning does not trade away any player under 27.

This team is unproven and the way most of the media experts talk, it will not take much to make the playoffs, that is not a ringing endorsement for success. What is the face a revamped Edmonton? With McD injured they have lots of LTIR money and can trade for Krieder or Hall and Petry or Martinez, that would shift the balance of power in the last week when McD returns.

Stick with what is here, only the d can be upgraded and at that IMO they have to tighten up, the number of shots they give up will show up in the playoffs as losses, Chicago, a team not in the playoff picture schooled them.

Actually if this team was out of it now then trade Markstrom that takes care of the goalie problem and eases up the cap crunch, package Stecher up with Eriksson with retention and trade them as a package, consider a trade with Minnesota of Boeser and a 3rd for their 1rst and Greenway, that frees up more cap space and is a probable lottery pick, if  top 10 then there is a 97% chance the kid can play next year in a sheltered role if necessary.

Trade Tanev even if it is for some magic beans, lots of teams want a defensive dman and he has been injury free this season. Call up Rafferty, more millions saved.

Take advantage of TDL madness!!!

A Markstrom trade just reaffirms Benning saying Demko is the future, signing Markstrom means the opposite and costs the team millions more on the cap. Tanev moving leaves enough money to sign Tryamkin and play Rafferty and still save more millions.

Team comes away after the TDL with millions in cap space that can be used at the expansion draft, no goalie controversy, Demko and DiPetro or some other back up, Eriksson gone or at least some of his cap hit, Stecher gets a home, the big thing here is the cap savings, Boeser goes home to be close to family, the team saves more millions and gets a 6'6" forward telephone guy that likes to "reach out and touch someone" (old commercial).

There will only be maybe 10 teams competing with the Canucks as sellers instead of at the end of the season when there are 31 less supply make higher prices or what the market will bear, we know all about that in the gas pricing, as much as can be until sales drop off

Edited by Lazurus

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

People so underrate Stecher.  And underappreciate his contributions.  Unless we can get an absolute steal, we need him badly here.

Is size important?  Yes

Is scoring important Yes

But for a defender, one of the most important aspects is moving the puck out of the D zone and into the O zone with possession.

Before Quinn, he was our top D in that. In '17 -'18, he was 4th in all the NHL at zone entries per 60. Look who he is ahead of in the graph.  Can't find any recent numbers but my eye test says he's only improving there.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/analytics-microdata-canucks-defencemen-2018

Entries-31.png

You need a good mix.  We have more size now in Myers, and hopefully Tram. We have an offensive scoring threat D in Hughes. But our team needs more players that can smartly, quickly move the puck out of the D zone under pressure, and skate it into the O zone, not just dump it.  I think this team would sorely miss Stecher's contributions to this team on a nightly basis. Defensively he has a +4 this season,  while newcomers, Myers, Benn, and Fantenberg are all in the negative.  I don't get how we can afford to trade him.

Only 16 games and 250 minutes tracked.  With that little sample size per 60 numbers can often be overestimated.  

Hypothetical scenario: leading to TDL, 'Yotes play Caps, Isles, Stars, Blues & Tbay. They're sliding out badly(only won 3 of last 15!) Say they keep losing, with these tough opponents listed.

Then they know Taylor Hall won't be staying, & decide to recoup losses, as best they can. Put him on the market again. With NJ retaining 50%, he's only on books for 3,000,000 $alary, & UFA at season's end.

Chayka calls JB, & tries to pitch Hall for:

Van: Pearson, OJ, Lind, 2021 2nd(cond, becomes a 1st, if we re-sign him)

Would any CDC'er accept this? Would anyone counter the offer, with another?

9 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hypothetical scenario: leading to TDL, 'Yotes play Caps, Isles, Stars, Blues & Tbay. They're sliding out badly(only won 3 of last 15!) Say they keep losing, with these tough opponents listed.

Then they know Taylor Hall won't be staying, & decide to recoup losses, as best they can. Put him on the market again. With NJ retaining 50%, he's only on books for 3,000,000 $alary, & UFA at season's end.

Chayka calls JB, & tries to pitch Hall for:

Van: Pearson, OJ, Lind, 2021 2nd(cond, becomes a 1st, if we re-sign him)

Would any CDC'er accept this? Would anyone counter the offer, with another?

On Insider Trading earlier this week.   Pierre LeBrun: That's the not the plan for the Arizona Coyotes. I understand why people are asking the question; after all he may walk out of the door July 1st and get nothing in return, but the reality is owner Alex Meruelo, GM John Chayka and Taylor Hall's agent Darren Ferris all sat down for dinner Sunday night in Montreal. They're all on the same page as to where this is headed right now which is we'll talk after the season. Meruelo really wants to sign Taylor Hall. The Coyotes haven't had a player of this calibre in a long time. They can offer him an eight-year deal which no one else can offer and, yeah, there's a risk because they are not in a playoff spot, but they're happy to live with that risk.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

On Insider Trading earlier this week.   Pierre LeBrun: That's the not the plan for the Arizona Coyotes. I understand why people are asking the question; after all he may walk out of the door July 1st and get nothing in return, but the reality is owner Alex Meruelo, GM John Chayka and Taylor Hall's agent Darren Ferris all sat down for dinner Sunday night in Montreal. They're all on the same page as to where this is headed right now which is we'll talk after the season. Meruelo really wants to sign Taylor Hall. The Coyotes haven't had a player of this calibre in a long time. They can offer him an eight-year deal which no one else can offer and, yeah, there's a risk because they are not in a playoff spot, but they're happy to live with that risk.

The Coyotes have to sign Hall.  They gave up a lot to get him, and can’t miss the playoffs and lose him.  This circumstance they are in is exactly why a team shouldn’t have Bill Nye The Science Guy as their GM.  

12 minutes ago, mll said:

I'm skeptical that they can swing this. After committing big to OEL, Keller & others, suspect they may be bluffing. Also Hall wants to be in the PO's. Aside from the power of $$$,  could imagine a reluctance from his side to buy what they're selling. That market has never been able to get it together.

Also imagine solid offers will come from teams like Bos, Col & perhaps TBay.