The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TDL Strategy; Think Now, or Look Ahead?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

5 minutes ago, kilgore said:
On 2/15/2020 at 9:38 PM, Provost said:

Literally from the horse’s mouth (his agent).  Nothing about next season, he keeps saying as soon as his season is done.

Out of respect for his current team and their playoff hopes, we aren’t going to talk about it until that is done.  As soon as that is done, there is plenty of time to come to engage with the Canucks and work something out.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/diamond-tryamkin-returning-to-the-canucks-is-definitely-on-the-table-his-goal-is-to-return-to-vancouver-1.1429648

Seems like this whole "He's not coming back!" mantra about Tryamkin started on Vancouver sports radio.  Even on Halford and Brough which I'm surprised at because I think they are usually  not so close minded. They even issued a Tryamkin ban on their show because they think its ridiculous to even discuss it.  I'm not sure when it all started, but that fake news is leaking onto CDC as well. Maybe its a case of the longer he is gone, the more people assume he's comfortable there. When its obviously because of his contract.

Who knows? He may very well not want to return to NA, (or his wife doesn't), especially if he gets offered a decent new contract there.  Or he may want to start fresh at training camp instead. I just hope he at least does this.  We most likely won't be rioting this year in ecstasy anyways, even with him in the playoffs. But then again, I can also see him wanting to return and show what he's got this season in order to showcase himself. Which even if he doesn't re-sign with the Canucks, that's good for him and the Canucks if they want to trade his rights. 

I don't understand the defeatist attitude about him by some. We knew it would be three long years when he left and we'd need patience. I'm holding out hope until that time is done

Negotiations have probably already started or are close to finishing. This is not anything anyone could get in trouble for, the only negative thing that could happen is if his current team found out is they could hold him until April 30 expiration. Just possible dates if his team releases when their season is over, March 1 at the earliest, the team doesn't make the playoffs and then every two weeks after, if his team releases him other wise the Canucks would have to probably be in round two of the playoffs April 30.

Yes you have to wonder about those posters that have such a negative and forceful view on Tryamkin, you have to ask why? It isn't like he violated a contract or anything.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Negotiations have probably already started or are close to finishing. This is not anything anyone could get in trouble for, the only negative thing that could happen is if his current team found out is they could hold him until April 30 expiration. Just possible dates if his team releases when their season is over, March 1 at the earliest, the team doesn't make the playoffs and then every two weeks after, if his team releases him other wise the Canucks would have to probably be in round two of the playoffs April 30.

Yes you have to wonder about those posters that have such a negative and forceful view on Tryamkin, you have to ask why? It isn't like he violated a contract or anything.

I think they'll be fair with him because he took a huge hometown discount. And if they want to resign him after he's finished here..  well I think Diamond will take care of that.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

Well I guess it is all in.

The team doesn't look all that bad but what happened to the rebuild? Did it get postponed?

As far as the rebuild Benning never really has done much to rebuild the team with youth, all the top ten picks are just a result of losing not a plan. He never really has traded for picks, traded down for better picks or even traded expiring FA contracts for picks. Maybe he never was rebuilding, maybe Linden was right all along, they are not rebuilding. But it does bring up what about the future? It seems it is just don't think about it and shlt happens. So far he has run the team like a Fantasy GM, all the players never get hurt, are all healthy and are all in their prime still.

Whatever, this is what there is now, IMO he is gone very soon.

This team is not that bad, it will need re-tooloing in 2 or 3 years as these guys age out, slow down or retire.

The best possible lines now? Maybe;

Tofoli - Pettersson - Miller or Tofoli - Pettersson - Pearson

Tofoli - Horvat - Pearson or Virtanen - Horvat - Miller

The bottom six, pick names out of a hat.

Gaudette - Sutter - Mac

Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson

15 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Well I guess it is all in.

The team doesn't look all that bad but what happened to the rebuild? Did it get postponed?

As far as the rebuild Benning never really has done much to rebuild the team with youth, all the top ten picks are just a result of losing not a plan. He never really has traded for picks, traded down for better picks or even traded expiring FA contracts for picks. Maybe he never was rebuilding, maybe Linden was right all along, they are not rebuilding. But it does bring up what about the future? It seems it is just don't think about it and shlt happens. So far he has run the team like a Fantasy GM, all the players never get hurt, are all healthy and are all in their prime still.

Whatever, this is what there is now, IMO he is gone very soon.

This team is not that bad, it will need re-tooloing in 2 or 3 years as these guys age out, slow down or retire.

The best possible lines now? Maybe;

Tofoli - Pettersson - Miller or Tofoli - Pettersson - Pearson

Tofoli - Horvat - Pearson or Virtanen - Horvat - Miller

The bottom six, pick names out of a hat.

Gaudette - Sutter - Mac

Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson

It was a rebuild in 3D..so stealthy, you missed it(or forgot the 3D glasses).

Fear not - Gent Jim is workin his magic!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It was a rebuild in 3D..so stealthy, you missed it(or forgot the 3D glasses).

Fear not - Gent Jim is workin his magic!

What 4 young players over 7 years is a rebuild? His magic? Ya, just like a magician distract you with illusion.:lol:

Stoked we got Toffoli for such a relative bargain. Yeah it sucks to lose Madden who looks promising but if you look at what other players got in return, we arguably paid less, for a better player. Here's hoping we can re-sign him too!

And Madden was going to be in tough to displace anyone in the next few years anyway. Benning just turned a 3rd and a 2nd in to a top 6 player in their prime.

Plus we moved out Schaller (who everyone kept telling me was immovable :P )!

I look forward to seeing of Jim can now pull a similar move on D for Stecher +

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Stoked we got Toffoli for such a relative bargain. Yeah it sucks to lose Madden who looks promising but if you look at what other players got in return, we arghuably paid less, for a better player. Here's hoping we can re-sign him too!

And Madden was going to be in tough to displace anyone in the next few years anyway. Benning just turned a 3rd and a 2nd in to a top 6 player in their prime.

Plus we moved out Schaller (who everyone kept telling me was immovable :P )!

I look forward to seeing of Jim can now pull a similar move on D for Stecher +

If Jim could move out one of Baer or Rous to NJ for Simmonds that would help a lot to getting more d depth later in the week (assuming NJ retains 1/2). Big ask I know, but heck, why not? Jim's on a roll. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If Jim could move out one of Baer or Rous to NJ for Simmonds that would help a lot to getting more d depth later in the week. Big ask I know, but heck, why not? Jim's on a roll. 

I'm not sold on Simmonds myself...doubt he'd be an upgrade on Rous at this point. I'd simply keep Mac up and with the addition of Toffoli, role with what we have on F. I'd be open to moving out Rous and using those assets to clear Baer though.

I'd rather see Jim concentrate on adding a D to upgrade Stecher. Helps us for our playoff drive, helps us with leverage for Tanev negotiation and/or insulation in case he walks.

Edited by aGENT

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'm not sold on Simmonds myself...doubt he'd be an upgrade on Rous at this point. I'd simply keep Mac up and with the addition of Toffoli, role with what we have on F. I'd be open to moving out Rous and using those assets to clear Baer though.

I'd rather see Jim concentrate on adding a D to upgrade Stecher. Helps us for our playoff drive, helps us with leverage for Tanev negotiation and/or insulation in case he walks.

I'd like to move Roussel's salary more than anything, but I'm happy with the F group as it is right now. 

Man the prices right now are so high... a 2nd AND 3rd for Dillon? wow. 

If we are going to add a dman, imho, we need to make it a great one.  If it is just another 4-6th dman, don't bother.  It isn't worth the cost.  Our d is pretty deep with Fantenburg, Brisebois, Rafferty, Sautner, OJ and even Tryamkin a possibility.  I wouldn't give up anymore prospects or picks unless it is a top 3 dman and then I say go for it.  

I trust the management.  They seem to have a plan and the gonads to execute it. I won't question them, but it just seems unnecessary.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Yes, JB's recent work(from JTM at draft, to TT in Feb) is looking more astute with each passing moment. Really hope we can keep all our key UFA's this summer, by dealing some other contracts for more incoming youth/picks.

Fully utilize and/or recycle every asset, until a powerhouse is very real & sustainable.

Faith in JB!

• Wat 1

On 2/15/2020 at 8:27 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

5- IF deadline prices are low, it might be a good time to buy one desirable piece(eg: we sell 3 or 4 assets in such a deal)..simply because this deadline is cheaper, relative to past seasons. I'd like to include this option, although it runs contrary to the main points here.

I had many questions about a wk & a half back, when originating this thread.

JB answered this one by acting quickly. Got his TDL work(mostly) done beforehand, and in so doing, appears to have received pretty darn nice value!