The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Avs & Habs

Heard Grubby is banged up. Avs would be smart to pursue Price..a history-repeat. Don't like the Avs, but it would be a bold stroke. CP deserves a shot at a Cup. Avs are also one of the few contenders that can accomodate(cap wise) a costly 'tender.

Habs SHOULD try to crash out, & land a top pick. Byram hugely gets a rebuild rolling.

Mtl: Price(retain 2 mill x 6 yrs)

COL: Kadri & Grubby(both hurt), Bowen Byram

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Heard Grubby is banged up. Avs would be smart to pursue Price..a history-repeat. Don't like the Avs, but it would be a bold stroke. CP deserves a shot at a Cup. Avs are also one of the few contenders that can accomodate(cap wise) a costly 'tender.

Habs SHOULD try to crash out, & land a top pick. Byram hugely gets a rebuild rolling.

Mtl: Price(retain 2 mill x 6 yrs)

COL: Kadri & Grubby(both hurt), Bowen Byram

I like this fir the Habs, but Sakic is too smart for his one.  

• Upvote 1

It's why they get the 4th OA kid. I agree it's a longshot, but both teams could benefit here.

I just don’t see any owner signing off on committing $12m to hell another team win. Especially Colorado after the Roy trade. I mean. Can you imagine Montreal trading Price to the same team as Roy to watch him win a cup or two. In the mean time they have to hope it pays off for them. Plus, they’re paying Price to win cups in Denver.  Fans would riot 

Edited by qwijibo

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I just don’t see any owner signing off on committing $12m to hell another team win. Especially Colorado after the Roy trade. I mean. Can you imagine Montreal trading Price to the same team as Roy to watch him win a cup or two. In the mean time they have to hope it pays off for them. Plus, they’re paying Price to win cups in Denver.  Fans would riot 

I'd contend that Quebec City has a far greater grievance. The league knew what they were doing here..& they'll prob do it again when Ottawa is on the cusp of contending.

As the cap climbs towards 90 mill, 2 % won't be such a big deal. Mtl should aggressively take on a few clunker contracts, & expedite a rebuild(with accompanying picks, prospects). They are well-positioned to reboot this thing quickly(ala' JB) over 2 or 3 seasons, into a young, fast & sizeable crew.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

I'd contend that Quebec City has a far greater grievance. The league knew what they were doing here..& they'll prob do it again when Ottawa is on the cusp of contending.

As the cap climbs towards 90 mill, 2 % won't be such a big deal. Mtl should aggressively take on a few clunker contracts, & expedite a rebuild(with accompanying picks, prospects). They are well-positioned to reboot this thing quickly(ala' JB) over 2 or 3 seasons, into a young, fast & sizeable crew.

I don’t think you realize how much the Roy trade haunts Montreal fans.  To see history repeat itself AND be paying $2m a year for 6 years in the process WOULD NOT FLY.  Fans would revolt. 

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t think you realize how much the Roy trade haunts Montreal fans.  To see history repeat itself AND be paying $2m a year for 6 years in the process WOULD NOT FLY.  Fans would revolt. 

Maybe they're spoiled? They've got 24 banners. Roy came through for them(in spades) twice.

Like the Leafs, their devoted fanbase generates a whack of revenue. Owners/FOffice should exploit that, take on some clunkers, & try to build a young powerhouse.

A devoted fanbase is a huge ingred/element. It's one advantage a Cdn market can hold(in building a strong team), vs many of their US counterparts. Cash, backing & patience, make it pretty hard to eff up

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Maybe they're spoiled? They've got 24 banners. Roy came through for them(in spades) twice.

Like the Leafs, their devoted fanbase generates a whack of revenue. Owners/FOffice should exploit that, take on some clunkers, & try to build a young powerhouse.

A devoted fanbase is a huge ingred/element. It's one advantage a Cdn market can hold(in building a strong team), vs many of their US counterparts. Cash, backing & patience, make it pretty hard to eff up

That’s what I’m saying. This would be seen as a betrayal to the fan base. I’m not joking. Other than Toronto or Boston, Colorado is the last team I’d make a deal like this with. 

54 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Show me one trade in the history of the league where a team  retained $12m of salary/cap space. I’ll wait. 

Sakic isn’t a moron, so it’s not going to happen.  Price, even with 2 mil per season retained, isn’t worth much in trade.  Hes not the goalie he was a couple years back.  Habs are kind of stuck being bad until Price, and his bloated contract, are done.  

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

That’s what I’m saying. This would be seen as a betrayal to the fan base. I’m not joking. Other than Toronto or Boston, Colorado is the last team I’d make a deal like this with. 

So they shouldn't worry(overly) about market hang-ups. It simply takes good salesmanship. You can tell just watching(on TV) a game in Mtl..the fans know the game, better than any other market.

What Ottawa did(burn it down, sell the old drama queens) was bloody smart. The Pacc/Suzuki & Domi deals were sharp. Don't go half-way.

Youth sells more in this league today, than perhaps any time in a Century of NHL past. Habs should aggressively & unashamedly pivot in that direction.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sakic isn’t a moron, so it’s not going to happen.  Price, even with 2 mil per season retained, isn’t worth much in trade.  Hes not the goalie he was a couple years back.  Habs are kind of stuck being bad until Price, and his bloated contract, are done.  

Don't know, Alf. He won Cups with Roy. Then he won Gold with Price. He might know precisely what it takes.

Arguing that this trade serves both markets' needs.

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Don't know, Alf. He won Cups with Roy. Then he won Gold with Price. He might know precisely what it takes.

Arguing that this trade serves both markets' needs.

I hate the Habs Nux.  To me all their players are bustaroos, who have little to no value.  But seriously, 10 million on Price is nuts.  8 million on Price is nuts.  He IMO has negative value.  To dump Price, the Habs would have to add sweetener, like multiple first round picks, and still Sakic would have no interest.  I seriously can’t think of a player on the Habs who actually has any positive value.  They are just a terrible team, with worthless players.  

Oh, did I mention I hate the Habs? :towel:

Now if they were Les Nordique that would be different. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So they shouldn't worry(overly) about market hang-ups. It simply takes good salesmanship. You can tell just watching(on TV) a game in Mtl..the fans know the game, better than any other market.

What Ottawa did(burn it down, sell the old drama queens) was bloody smart. The Pacc/Suzuki & Domi deals were sharp. Don't go half-way.

Youth sells more in this league today, than perhaps any time in a Century of NHL past. Habs should aggressively & unashamedly pivot in that direction.

What I’m telling you unequivocally, is that Colorado is not the market to make a trade like this with.  They may as well hire a coach who bans French from press conferences.  It just hits way to close to home.  Beyond that.  There is no way that Molson agrees to paying Price $2m a year for 6 years to play for Colorado. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

What I’m telling you unequivocally, is that Colorado is not the market to make a trade like this with.  They may as well hire a coach who bans French from press conferences.  It just hits way to close to home.  Beyond that.  There is no way that Molson agrees to paying Price $2m a year for 6 years to play for Colorado. 

Fair enuff..gotta head out the door, Q. I'll chime in later for more yakkin on these things. I'm interested to see what the Habs do(next wk) with them sliding back, & a hosted draft. They should be fun commentary

• Cheers 1

Fair enuff..gotta head out the door, Q. I'll chime in later for more yakkin on these things. I'm interested to see what the Habs do(next wk) with them sliding back, & a hosted draft. They should be fun commentary

Have a good night. For the record I doubt they do much. Maybe move guys like Thompson/Weal. Kovalchuk could go if he hasn’t committed to re-signing there.  Or they could make a big move. If they do it’ll likely be a 1/1 deal. That seems to be Bergevin’s SOP. maybe one of their C’s (where they’re suddenly very deep) for a young top 4 LHD with top 2 potential 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Show me one trade in the history of the league where a team  retained $12m of salary/cap space. I’ll wait. 

Well... 

If it cost the laffs a 1st rounder to rid themselves of Patrick Marleau at 6million for one year what would 2m over 6 seasons cost? 

So grubauer is no where near carey price level, olympic gold, one of the best goalies in the last decade also signed for 6 years.

Nazem Kardi (He's a Ho-bag) is a 2\3rd C.

True MTL does need centers, Kadri will be too old once their rebuild is semi complete.

Byram is a stud D man, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, he's no Lindstrom, Niedermayer or THUGGY BEAR:ph34r:

Then the value of Colorado's 1st rounders drops off significantly by acquiring Price and challenging for cups.

Price should stay in MTL until Primeau is ready, even with Carey Price Montreal is not a playoff team, how bad would it be without his 24 wins?.

The habs other 3 goalies that have been used this year are Primeau, Lindgren and Kinkaid.

Those 3 goalies have a COMBINED 3 wins...

25 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Well... 

If it cost the laffs a 1st rounder to rid themselves of Patrick Marleau at 6million for one year what would 2m over 6 seasons cost? 

So grubauer is no where near carey price level, olympic gold, one of the best goalies in the last decade also signed for 6 years.

Nazem Kardi (He's a Ho-bag) is a 2\3rd C.

True MTL does need centers, Kadri will be too old once their rebuild is semi complete.

Byram is a stud D man, but lets not get ahead of ourselves, he's no Lindstrom, Niedermayer or THUGGY BEAR:ph34r:

Then the value of Colorado's 1st rounders drops off significantly by acquiring Price and challenging for cups.

Price should stay in MTL until Primeau is ready, even with Carey Price Montreal is not a playoff team, how bad would it be without his 24 wins?.

The habs other 3 goalies that have been used this year are Primeau, Lindgren and Kinkaid.

Those 3 goalies have a COMBINED 3 wins...

Yup. I agree. It doesn’t make sense for Montreal any way you look at it. 

The only thing I disagree with is your statement that Montreal needs C’s 

They have Danault (in the Selke conversation) Suzuki (3rd in rookie scoring)  Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Thompson, Cousins, Weal. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

@Nuxfanabroad

Grubauer, byram and kadri is like

Marky, juolevi and Gaudette for Carey Price with 2 million ratained.

Would you do that if you are MTL?

There are too many variables to give simple Y/N answers to such questions. For example, I find OJ & Byram pretty poor comparables. Trouble for me(talkin' trades with all U guys) is I have little to no access(or time) to view/rate prospects. I mostly base opinion on short clips, draft placement, & info I randomly grab from various posters.

Here in Asia I only use NHL.com website to view big league tilts..that's it.

In my teens/20's I used to love watching younger players, & try to project who I thought had the real goods to be a top pro. I've prob substituted this old interest, into formulating random, crazy trades outa' thin air. If I can dream up a system whereby I can forecast future deals(perhaps 10-20% of the time?) I'll likely open a fortune telling stand in downtown Osaka instead. One of my students had a Father doin' such a gig..there's pretty good demand here. Stylish young ladies who want to know what love-life is in store. Look at their graceful palms & wax optimistic..I bet they're more agreeable/pleasant that 90% of us CDC'ers.