The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Mystery

my attempt to make a trade that helps both teams. 

vancouver sends...boeser...brisebois...goldobin and a 3rd round pick to

minnesota..for fiala...khovanov...soucy and a 1st round pick.

not trying to move brock but trying to create a trade that the other team might find fair. 

• Upvote 1

This doesn't help Minnesota though and they actually get a fair bit worse and on top of that are giving up a 1st round pick.   

They have no top-6 Cs in sight and you are taking away one of their best prospect and potential top-6 C in Khovanov.  Wheeler has him going in the 1st round in a re-draft.

Since 1 November Fiala has better numbers than Boeser while playing with far lesser linemates and way fewer opportunities - they have no Pettersson equivalent on the Wild.  Fiala was not even on PP1 until recently.  He had a rough start in October but looks to be breaking out.  At C he has mostly been playing with Koivu who has now been demoted to C4, wingers forced to play C in Donato/Kunin, or Rask who has often been a healthy scratch and is a buyout candidate.  

Wild observers are talking about how they hardly ever had a player like him in Wild history.  Dean Evason in January was quoted saying that the organisation is so excited because he has tremendous potential.  He is a much better fit than Boeser - he is so dynamic and can create offence for his line with his speed - he's blazing fast.  

Boeser would probably have a very hard time maintaining his scoring pace in Minnesota - he wouldn't have anyone to set him up.  They also don't have a lot of speed in their lineup and he's not particularly fast.  

Soucy is the reason Guerin is willing to trade Dumba for a C1.  He has emerged as a top-4 D.  Brisebois is unproven and might not even become a NHL regular.

The Wild have too many wingers - they have no use for Goldobin.  They moved Zucker to open up a spot for Kaprisov.  Galchenyuk won't be brought back. 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

Good try Joe, but from our POV don’t need Fiala.  He’s extremely soft, and very much a perimeter player, who would do to us what Hall has done to the Coyotes.  Make us worse.  I really don’t see any player on their roster I’d want here.  Plus, we need Bess.  He will be healthy again soon enough, and then he will drive the offence on Bo’s wing. 

There’s a reason why the Wild are a fast sinking ship.  Their players are not ones we want.  

1 hour ago, mll said:

This doesn't help Minnesota though and they actually get a fair bit worse and on top of that are giving up a 1st round pick.   

They have no top-6 Cs in sight and you are taking away one of their best prospect and potential top-6 C in Khovanov.  Wheeler has him going in the 1st round in a re-draft.

Since 1 November Fiala has better numbers than Boeser while playing with far lesser linemates and way fewer opportunities - they have no Pettersson equivalent on the Wild.  Fiala was not even on PP1 until recently.  He had a rough start in October but looks to be breaking out.  At C he has mostly been playing with Koivu who has now been demoted to C4, wingers forced to play C in Donato/Kunin, or Rask who has often been a healthy scratch and is a buyout candidate.  

Wild observers are talking about how they hardly ever had a player like him in Wild history.  Dean Evason in January was quoted saying that the organisation is so excited because he has tremendous potential.  He is a much better fit than Boeser - he is so dynamic and can create offence for his line with his speed - he's blazing fast.  

Boeser would probably have a very hard time maintaining his scoring pace in Minnesota - he wouldn't have anyone to set him up.  They also don't have a lot of speed in their lineup and he's not particularly fast.  

Soucy is the reason Guerin is willing to trade Dumba for a C1.  He has emerged as a top-4 D.  Brisebois is unproven and might not even become a NHL regular.

The Wild have too many wingers - they have no use for Goldobin.  They moved Zucker to open up a spot for Kaprisov.  Galchenyuk won't be brought back. 

I am not arguing with you because I honestly don't know the players well enough, but I don't think statistically Fiala is better than Boeser….faster yes, but so was Mason Raymond.

Fiala is quite a bit smaller, scoring less points while has basically been injured and going through family health issues. Also, Arm Chair Gm has him as a LW/RW on the second line, Capfriendly has him as a LW, they might be wrong, but he would be a pretty light C, IMO.

As for the rest, I will take your word on it......maybe the first round pick is over kill. 

Sorry, if I read it wrong, but that s what I got out of it

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not arguing with you because I honestly don't know the players well enough, but I don't think statistically Fiala is better than Boeser….faster yes, but so was Mason Raymond.

Fiala is quite a bit smaller, scoring less points while has basically been injured and going through family health issues. Also, Arm Chair Gm has him as a LW/RW on the second line, Capfriendly has him as a LW, they might be wrong, but he would be a pretty light C, IMO.

As for the rest, I will take your word on it......maybe the first round pick is over kill. 

You’re 100% correct.  Fiala is not a player we want.  Very soft.  

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

my attempt to make a trade that helps both teams. 

vancouver sends...boeser...brisebois...goldobin and a 3rd round pick to

minnesota..for fiala...khovanov...soucy and a 1st round pick.

not trying to move brock but trying to create a trade that the other team might find fair. 

I actually think this is very fair. Boeser is a better player then Fiala by far in my opinion.

Id do it just so Boeser can get a change in scenery which he seems to need right now

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Fiala is a RW.   He has no C to play with - there's no one to set him up.  Koivu (demoted to 4th line), Rask (buyout candidate and regular healthy scratch) or Donato (winger moved to C and often scratched) have been his Cs - they don't come anywhere close to Pettersson.  

Since 1 November he is 0.82 (14 goals) to Boeser's 0.70 (9 goals).  Fiala was on PP2 until recently vs PP1 for Boeser.  

This trade really makes no sense for the Wild.  Soucy has emerged as a top-4 D that allows Guerin to trade Dumba to get a C1.  Khovanov is one of their best prospects that also projects as a top 6C which is a major area of weakness.  

Here's the latest title on Fiala:  

Edited by mll
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I actually think this is very fair. Boeser is a better player then Fiala by far in my opinion.

Id do it just so Boeser can get a change in scenery which he seems to need right now

Boeser would have trouble succeeding in Minnesota.  They have no playmaking Cs to set him up and have very limited speed - he's not one that can create separation with his skating.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Fiala is a RW.   He has no C to play with - there's no one to set him up.  Koivu (demoted to 4th line), Rask (buyout candidate and regular healthy scratch) or Donato (winger moved to C and often scratched) have been his Cs - they don't come anywhere close to Pettersson.  

Since 1 November he is 0.82 (14 goals) to Boeser's 0.70 (9 goals).  Fiala was on PP2 until recently vs PP1 for Boeser.  

This trade really makes no sense for the Wild.  Soucy has emerged as a  top-4 D that allows Guerin to trade Dumba to get a C1.  Khovanov is one of their best prospects that also projects as a top 6C which a major area of weakness.  

Here's the latest title on Fiala:  

What?  Now you’re saying Bess is worth more than Fiala?  Your posts are totally confusing me. 

I would consider BB/ Stetcher for Greenway/one of the firsts that Min currently holds.

Min gets hometown kid and a very serviceable defenceman(not replacement so calm down) for when they eventually unload Dumby for a legit center who will then play wt BB.

We get valuable cap flexibility to look at resigning Marky/Tanev,  a first this year to replace our traded one and a very promising young roster player. 

I don't want to trade BB, but if it came to it I'd consider this deal carefully. 

From a marketing perspective, getting a local boy like Boeser would be huge for the Wild. As much as I'm loathe to move Boeser, the Wild may be willing to offer up quite the package for Boes. That said, I don't know if they have what we need. Our weakest point is on right D, and outside of Dumba, who hasn't been right since his surgery, I don't know what could offer us to fill that hole on our top pairing we desperately need filled. They're looking to rebuild as well so I imagine 1st rd picks would be off the table.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I would consider BB/ Stetcher for Greenway/one of the firsts that Min currently holds.

Min gets hometown kid and a very serviceable defenceman(not replacement so calm down) for when they eventually unload Dumby for a legit center who will then play wt BB.

We get valuable cap flexibility to look at resigning Marky/Tanev,  a first this year to replace our traded one and a very promising young roster player. 

I don't want to trade BB, but if it came to it I'd consider this deal carefully. 

Minnesota is the best team in the league at limiting quality chances against.  Their goals against is about very poor goal tending but personnel wise they are excellent on D.  They have no use for Stecher - too limited offence and no physical nastiness.  

Friedman says elite C1 or C2 + 2x 1st round picks for Dumba - it's pretty much guaranteed that Guerin won't find what he is looking for.  They are going to have to draft that C1.  Boeser's scoring ability would be wasted in Minnesota for now.  In a few years maybe but in the immediate it just doesn't make sense.  He wouldn't make their team better.  

The Wild are trying to rebuild.  Why do you think they traded a veteran in Zucker for futures?

6 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

minny has been interested in boes for some time. if you are minny, what would you be willing to trade for him?

Not Guerin though.  It was Fenton that wanted Boeser for Zucker.  He's no longer in charge.  Guerin is looking for a C1.  

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

From a marketing perspective, getting a local boy like Boeser would be huge for the Wild. As much as I'm loathe to move Boeser, the Wild may be willing to offer up quite the package for Boes. That said, I don't know if they have what we need. Our weakest point is on right D, and outside of Dumba, who hasn't been right since his surgery, I don't know what could offer us to fill that hole on our top pairing we desperately need filled. 

Guerin wants a C1 in return for Dumba.  They have too many wingers and no playmaking Cs.  Boeser's scoring ability would be wasted in Minnesota with how they are set up.  Vanek was a Gopher hero and fans turned on him in Minnesota because he couldn't maintain his production with how they were set up.