The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] OMG..McD..Dealt?!

This would occur during summer(Gretzky-esque)..after Edmonchuk finally sees some daffodils! I'll paint some details, to reveal the crystal ball quite clearly:

- Edm bounced in 1st rd. McD has meh series..not quite healthy yet

- Secretly he's not really happy in that town. Wouldn't mind returning east

- Drai wins Hart w/124 pts. Ready to be the new leader

-Their roster too shallow, & dependent upon 2 stars

- They pay McD's 13,000,000$ bonus! He's a 1 mill $ freebie, next season. They've paid him 43 mill(this contract) for only 2 seasons. 57 mill for 6 more on the books

Ottawa calls!

They need a new bldg, & McD is the ticket to deliver. NHL would be happy with the guy being out east, as well.

Ottawa has a tonne of expiring contracts, & loads of top ELC youth. McD could step in & lead a young, exciting Ontario-climber.

They're the perfect team to take on 6 more yrs of a 12.5 mill cap hit

- The Sens land the #2 & #7(San Jose) OA picks. Take Byfield & Perfetti. The latter becomes part of pkg.

EDM: McDavid & Matt Benning

OTT: Colin White

Drake Batherson

Alex Formenton(speedster-winger)

Jacob Bernard-Docker (D-man from Ab)

Mads Sogaard(monster-sized 'tender)

2020 1st, Perfetti

Edm cleans up their books, while adding 2 incoming waves of ELC-additions.

You heard it here first :^)

45 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Chabot + Tkachuk + 2nd overall + 7th overall (if they even get those suggested picks) is what it would take. Not a bunch of unestablished players and a pick

Would just mess up their cap. That's 15 mill for the first two alone(in 2021).

People are underestimating the true value of talented youth, on 2 or 3 yrs of ELC.

Look how well Edm is faring without McD nowadays. They should consider dealing him, & balancing their lineup.

If Ottawa get the #1 and #2 overall I would do it if I was Ottawa.  Mcdavid would have to ask for a trade.  He might just do that.  Ottawa would have a lot of young pieces.  And the cap space.  Edmonton is actually winning without McDavid.  If they balanced their lineup they would benefit greatly.  Adding Lafreniere and another top prospect could do the trick.  

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

People are underestimating the true value of talented youth, on 2 or 3 yrs of ELC.

Look how well Edm is faring without McD nowadays. They should consider dealing him, & balancing their lineup.

People are underestimating the value of Connor on their balance sheet.

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Chabot + Tkachuk + 2nd overall + 7th overall (if they even get those suggested picks) is what it would take. Not a bunch of unestablished players and a pick

Likely more than that for mcdavid.....

43 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

People are underestimating the value of Connor on their balance sheet.

@Chris12345 exactly, could not have said it better.

Everyone heckled Dorion, claiming DWilson took him to the woodshed, on the Karlsson-doozy. Who's laughing now?

Players like MacKinnon & Pastr are prob more valuable(than McD, in trade scenario) nowadays, because of their cap hit in ratio/relation to performance.

Because Dorion flogged those(soon to be) overpriced assets of vet UFA's, he could build up the enviable capital of top picks & prospects. Now with the books almost clear of last gen's hits & misses, he can reinvest $(like paying Chabot, next Tkachuk), & perhaps 30-50% of those player/pick assets into some young, established stars.

Going forward, the Sens could be in a 10x better position than the Laffs. They even have the tattered, multi-revised, crumpled Laff blueprint, as a visible reminder not to F*** up a foundation, before building some glorious celebration-center.

I have visited Ottawa it is a fine city. With all due respect, why the heck would McDavid want to go to Ottawa?

Why would Daryl Katz and Holland sign their own death sentence?

For good measure, can you please kindly start a new thread to discuss trading Elias Pettersson?

Edited by Maddogy

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

1-2 games is enough to make this statement?

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

1-2 games is enough to make this statement?

Been kicking around a hypothesis for a while..that of a young, cohesive(proportionally-compensated) group, that's speedy, sizable & well-balanced, vs an unbalanced team of 2 or 3 superstars, & requisite-filler.

I expect folks to trot out the old Pens, Hawks examples, but I don't think this blueprint is viable, in remote, tax-disadvantaged, Cdn markets. Your depth guys become increasingly sh+ttier.

Furthermore, with the improvements in training, scouting & coaching, I suspect the gap between the pyramid-top, player-elite, & lower-tier 2nd/3rd liners is narrowing. So If a GM can collect a few stars(w/character) who'll play for less, it's a huuuge advantage.(sure hope it happens for us!)

With the above deal^ I'd contend over the next 3-5 yrs BOTH Edm & Ott would improve.

47 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Been kicking around a hypothesis for a while..that of a young, cohesive(proportionally-compensated) group, that's speedy, sizable & well-balanced, vs an unbalanced team of 2 or 3 superstars, & requisite-filler.

I expect folks to trot out the old Pens, Hawks examples, but I don't think this blueprint is viable, in remote, tax-disadvantaged, Cdn markets. Your depth guys become increasingly sh+ttier.

Furthermore, with the improvements in training, scouting & coaching, I suspect the gap between the pyramid-top, player-elite, & lower-tier 2nd/3rd liners is narrowing. So If a GM can collect a few stars(w/character) who'll play for less, it's a huuuge advantage.(sure hope it happens for us!)

With the above deal^ I'd contend over the next 3-5 yrs BOTH Edm & Ott would improve.

Sure....and the team with 97 sells out every night and gets a lucrative tv deal and a sweet name on their arena.

Money....she makes the world go round.

I honestly don’t think any team in this league has the required package it would take to get McDavid. Multiple established young roster players, high end prospects and first round picks. I know it’s McJesus, but you’d be looking at a return similar to what Gretzky got Edmonton. 

I guess from the business perspective, McDavid sells seats as well as jerseys and other merchandises. I wonder how much real money McDavid earns for the Oilers; I imagine it will be well above 12.5 M cap that he is signed for. Hence, I doubt Edmonton will trade him for almost any package.

And Oilers have somehow become more balanced team. They managed to separate McDavid and Draisaitl and yet they are still #1, #2 point getters in the league. Kassian has complemented McDavid very well with his speed and physical play. Neal although inconsistent has scored 19 goals. Yamamoto is reaching his potential. And all of a sudden the team is no longer a one line team with two of its superstars on the same line.

It doesn't seem like the Oilers need to make a major move although they would need to tinker with their bottom 6.

10 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

that would be a deadly trade

4 really good players and cheaper

Also, watching the Tkachuk vs Tkachuk battle of Alberta would be super exciting

But overall with this idea, I think the much more realistic approach for Ottawa is to try to get that first overall pick via lottery or big trade, and hope Lafreniere ends up as McDavid 2.0.

McDavid won't be traded.  But if, theoretically, he was, I think it would be to a big US market team like the Rangers that could increase the franchise value by half a billion dollar by adding him.  

McDavid/Draisaitl are literally the next Crosby/Malkin.

The Oiler's just struck gold with that RNH-Drai-Yamamoto line and once they get McDavid back that's basically two unstoppable lines. Not to mention Lavoie, Benson and McLeod in the pipeline. Their defensive prospect depth is no joke either.

They're going to be a force sooner rather than later.