The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

you always overpay, but getting a player that has played with another and done awesome is an instant upgrade to the team

Madden would have been moved sooner then later as we have three centers that take the top three spots and three others on the team in case of injury

a top 6 player that is a 20 plus goal scorer is what we paid, but like said above should work out better for us

I think people are mad and going to be but think about it, this is a team game and we needed the player now and we still have other younger players that are as good if not better still in our system, which again one or two might have to be traded in the next couple yeas to upgrade the team or so they can play as our roster is full

who are "the 7" who JB references as future NHLers

1.Podz

2.Hogz

3.OJ

4.Lind

5.MDP

6.Rafferty

7.Rathbone or Woo

Does Tryamkin count?

almost a guarantee all these guys play some NHL games with Woo being the least likely IMO

Jasek, McDonut, Utunen, are also very interesting prospects. I bet Jasek plays at least 1 game in the NHL in his career.

26 minutes ago, Darius said:

one point in his last 7 games....including lots of time on the top iine in BBs absence.

neutralize you say?

Jake is a solid player, hes not a top line winger though.  Not at this point.

Yeah, I was wondering where the high and might Church of VforVirtanen has been lately. Maybe inconsistent Jake is still being..... whats the word? oh right.. inconsistent.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

who are "the 7" who JB references as future NHLers

1.Podz

2.Hogz

3.OJ

4.Lind

5.MDP

6.Rafferty

7.Rathbone or Woo

Does Tryamkin count?

almost a guarantee all these guys play some NHL games with Woo being the least likely IMO

Jasek, McDonut, Utunen, are also very interesting prospects. I bet Jasek plays at least 1 game in the NHL in his career.

well we will see but a good list and one thing JB did is open up a roster spot which at this time of year is gold!

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

He definitely says the right thing in his first interviews... Sounds genuinely excited to be here...

Well he said it sucks being traded. Hes not happy to leave LA and said it wasn't his choice to leave. But hes bff with Pearsson and like the direction our team is going and the young players on the team have good future. He'll be willing to re sign I think. 

If he fits in well they make playoffs I think JB and Toffoli try to make it happen if numbers work. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, jammin_jk said:

I understand the sentiment Deb and could agree... except Petey and Hughes aren't at the end of their careers (ala Sedins).  They're professional hockey players and another year without the playoffs won't actually hurt them that much.  I'd rather look three years down the road when they are in their prime.  We longer have the option of Madden or a second round pick anymore in their futures.  Would you rather have Toffoli for 24 games plus a few in the playoffs (I don't think he'll impact our playoff chances one way or the other very much) or a Gaudette (Madden isn't Gaudette... he's lighter (con) and more skilled (pro) at the same PPG as Gaudette) and a Hoglander (if we draft well... this is a deep draft) in our prospect pool.

As a Canucks fan for about 35 years, I take the long sustainable view and choose Madden and a second everytime over a rental who really is a fringe second liner (doesn't drive play) for 24 plus a few... unfortunately our management agrees with your point of view and wants things now.  That is not a rebuild!  Man... I hate this trade...

I get the sentiment and the meaning behind it, but it is so short sighted (focus on this year) and short term... in other words, we would be better overall and in the future without this trade.

But, I respect your opinion...

When you have superstars like Petey and Hughes, the clock starts ticking as soon as it's clear they are going to be $9m+ players in short order.  At that point you either sacrifice them or you sacrifice the depth you need to be successful.  If you think wasting another year without playoff experience is "nothing", then there's not much left to say.

• Thanks 2

Horvat must be ecstatic. He will have a permanent right shot right winger now. At least in playoffs after Boeser returns.

He's had 16 different wingers over the past cpl yrs.

Gotta figure out a way to extend Toffoli. He's somewhere between Pearsson and Miller as a player. Very solid pick up.. 

Madden could end up like a Goldobin. He is a former 1st rounder and just not rugged enough or talented enough to be a full time NHLer 

22 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One of the dumber posts I've ever read on here. YOU,. are sure they were not needed? WTF is that nonsense? How can you tell they weren't needed? And then you assume JB just threw it in for kicks? How foolish!

like a dog chasing its own tail  ,  just going in circles and never catching on   

20 hours ago, Lazurus said:

The playoff should not be "THE GOAL" they don't give out trophies for making the playoffs. The issue here is what this team will look like in two years now that it has no high picks next year or, if he is not finished, the year after. Pettersson and Hughes will be getting huge money on a team of 30+ year olds with no young support players. All the prospects from the last 7 years have not made a difference at least not picks after the first round with the exception of Gaudette.

Living day to day is okay for a regular person but teams need to or should plan ahead.

Next year Tofoli is a good chance he goes back home with his kids and plays with Madden:lol:.

Markstrom or Demko are gone.

Edler and Tanev, well they are older at the least.

if you watch Jim's presser the organization's goal is to make the show which he sees as part of the bigger picture.  

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Me as well. I have no issues with Brock. I want him to become the best player he can be, and he's shown that he has elite potential. He's only 22 and we just need him to be healthy on a consistent basis. 

As far as Jake goes, I really like what he can bring, and does bring to the table most nights. But he too, has to bring that consistently. And when he does, he is a dominating type player. Points aren't everything, agreed. There's a hell of a lot more that goes into making an effective player than simply points. 

that's where I disagree........very good, yes, elite, not in my eyes.  

• Upvote 1