The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

34 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It's amazing to see people consider a solid B prospect a top prospect after he was traded too. Ignoring any issues like weight just because legitimate top 10 picks we've had were underweight too or the organizational depth we have to make such a move. Ignoring facts like how we got 3 guys out the rest of the year.

I've seen people say Toffoli is gonna go back to play with him despite the Kings rebuilding and that he's gonna play 10+ years.

I like Madden, he has a lot of promise but he is far from a sure thing and we could afford to make this deal.

With a potential cap crunch looming, we're going to need some prospects to come in and contribute on entry level deals. Now we have one less player that can do that, and potentially one more high salary on the books (assuming Toffoli resigns). These size issues were also legitimate issues for Petey and Hughes, but they were able to overcome them. Talented players can generally overcome such issues, and Madden is certainly a talented player. And even if returning to the Kings is off the table for Toffoli, that still leaves 29 other teams that he can sign with after the season is done. Not to mention that we have some pretty glaring issues on the blueline that I feel overshadow any offensive issues the team has, even with Boeser out. If we absolutely had to trade Madden, I would have much rather addressed those issues. 

If this deal were proposed in the armchair GM section at this point two days ago, what do you think the reaction would have been?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, filthycanuck said:

I hope we get another D-man like a Luke Schenn type, low salary, competent. Our forwards depth in the farm is fairly decent (for now) with McEwen, Bailey, Baertchi, to a lesser extent Goldy and Boucher. One injury in the top 4 and we're hooped, I'd like to see that depth shored up. You can hide forwards depending on the matchup but its extremely tough to hide D-men

I miss Biega.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

How old are Petey and Quinn?

i think they got a long career ahead of them. There’s no short cuts.....trading for stupid Rental players are Leaf thinking moves.

You don't save in a bank for later.  Injuries happen...nothing's a given in this game.

You call them short cuts...maybe your path is the long and winding road that will have guys fading out before they even get near the destination?  They are young...but they're eager and I don't want them to become jaded, frustrated or get used to losing.  I want them fighting to win.  And this move supports that.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

i think they got a long career ahead of them. There’s no short cuts.....trading for stupid Rental players are Leaf thinking moves.

Yes and collecting abundant of prospects and draft picks but making the playoffs once in 10 years like the Blue Jackets is the way to go. Thats a sure way to get the fan base excited!

• Thanks 2

Just now, HockeyHarry said:

i think they got a long career ahead of them.

You're asking the wrong questions imo.

The real question is how long can we afford to ice a contending team as them being part of the core?  Hint, we wont be competitive for the duration of their careers - just ask Hank/Danny.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

21 and 20. You give it everything you got for the next 10 year minimum while you have elite talent. There no one way is best and one way isn’t. There’s a balance.. look at a team like Pittsburgh, that’s a team that has been in the fight for a cup practically every year since they started with Crosby and Malkin. They draft and make trades

Edited by Devron44
  • Like 1

Just now, filthycanuck said:

Yes and collecting abundant of prospects and draft picks but making the playoffs once in 10 years like the Blue Jackets is the way to go. Thats a sure way to get the fan base excited!

Id rather Petey and Hughes learn how to win, rather than learning how to lose like McD, Mathews etc.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Do you think THEY think like this?

"There's time...no need to rush this"?

I don't.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

You're asking the wrong questions imo.

The real question is how long can we afford to ice a contending team as them being part of the core?  Hint, we wont be competitive for the duration of their careers - just ask Hank/Danny.

That’s why you don’t trade draft picks for vet rentals. Keep prospects stocked. Keep injecting a rookie on low contracts.

Hank/Danny are victims of bad drafting and prospects management.....the prospect pool was empty the whole time Canucks had the Twins.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see any point in adding another fwd.  Defense is where they should add if they intend make another deal, imo.

Yep. And Dillon was the guy they should have chased..

I'm sure they inquired but didn't have the picks and weren't willing to give up the type of prospect SJS wanted. 

EK and Burns were both fighting to get more ice time with him according to TSN couple of days ago. 

• Like 1

That’s why you don’t trade draft picks for vet rentals. Keep prospects stocked. Keep injecting a rookie on low contracts.

Hank/Danny are victims of bad drafting and prospects management.....the prospect pool was empty the whole time Canucks had the Twins.

You’re comparing two completely different situations. The Canucks couldn’t draft to save their life after the Sedins

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Do you think THEY think like this?

"There's time...no need to rush this"?

I don't.

I think they would say we believe in other teamates and this room.

jimbo and Management don’t believe and are Leaf dealing.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Yep. And Dillon was the guy they should have chased..

I'm sure they inquired but didn't have the picks and weren't willing to give up the type of prospect SJS wanted. 

EK and Burns were both fighting to get more ice time with him according to TSN couple of days ago. 

yup, but after TT that price was too high.  I thought for sure they were going after dmen, but now that I know about Leivo and Boes, Toffoli makes sense.

• Upvote 1

This sounds perfect but let's face it, it isn't always slide in and go.  Usually it's not.  

And what does that do to the blue chip prospect(s) you already have in place?   You're quite possibly sacrificing the here and now for unknowns.  

You make it seem like every draft pick and prospect is a win....some are, some aren't.  I'd prefer to give the ones proving to be so a chance to run with it rather than looking beyond them and stockpiling 'possibles'.    Seems sort of unfair to them in the here and now to just discount what they bring and not utilize that to the fullest.  

Haven't completely read through this thread yet, but looks like a bit of push back for mortgaging the future from some people.

Guys like Petey and Hughes are in the infancy of their careers, and who knows what the ceiling could be. So to optimize development of our core, I think it makes sense to start going for playoff hockey asap and to win as much as possible right now.

We're sacrificing the future for a better future.