The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Bess was telling Bo how he gained weight last summer, and came into cap at 206.  I think Bess got too heavy.  He should use this summer to lean out, and get back down to 190.  He will be much quicker and more effective with the pick on his stick 15 pounds lighter.   

Same as Jake.

• Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think hindsight bias is very much so coming into play here, but OK.

To completely discredit everything Madden is doing right now, from being drafted in the third round and working his way into a player that would arguably be a 1st rd pick in a redraft because of his size just seems wrong to me. And if Benning didn't feel he couldn't overcome those issues, why would he have drafted him in the first place?

As far as our top 9 is concerned, even with those three guys out we still have six forwards in our lineup that are producing at a .5 PPG average or better, not to mention Goldobin, Baertschi and Boucher all lighting it up in Utica. There were more glaring holes to fill imho. 

FTR I think Toffoli is a nice addition, and want to resign him as well, but how would we get it done without moving out a significant piece like Tanev, thus making it a redundant move and perhaps even hurting us more on the blueline?

How is the fact that Petey and Hughes were drafted top 10 because of their elite skill and Madden wasn't hindsight bias? It's a matter of fact. They're better players for a reason unless you're suggesting otherwise?

I am not discrediting what Madden has done he has promise. He is a good B prospect. He could have a career. But he isn't a sure thing. Petey and Hughes were sure things, they proved that, that's is why they were drafted so high and Petey definitely proved that smashing records in his D+1. Is Madden having a Petey-level season in his D+1? Success in the NCAA doesn't always mean success in the NHL. Weight's gonna hold Madden back a few years. He's gonna have to get bigger. Those issues are worse on him than they are Petey/Hughes and he isn't nearly as good as them.

With how things are going this year with prospects you could make a list and have him outside of the top 5 prospects on this team. Personally I have Hog and Pods ahead and Lind, Rafferty, Rathbone have been making good cases as well, so you could. That right there shows the amount of depth we have.

Funny enough Benning put Boucher ahead of Baer and didn't even mention Goldobin when asked about the depth we have in Utica. Are they better than Toffoli? Would they have a better chance at replacing what Boeser brings than Toffoli? Shouldn't be hard to weigh the odds there. There's also the argument that Bo needs a staple on his line but TT is gonna play with Petey/Millsy which shows that they want someone better than Virtanan there or want enough depth that Virtanen is one the lesser lines.

Well to re-sign him JB is gonna have to put in a lot of work. Trading Baer/Sutter between now and the draft is now a must. We gotta see what the plans are with Ferland and Eriksson, whether or not none, one or both retire. Does Tryamkin come back and how good is he if he does? There are a lot of variables around it that's for certain and the only other certain thing is it'll be interesting to watch.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Just heard Toffoli's wife apparently has a good job with LA Dodgers.

He'll likely go back to LA if they are willing to sign him back. He'll pbbly take less to sign with LA. 

Or ANA could be an option. 

Just got that info. I'm much less confident we will re sign him now.

This looks mostly like a pure and simple rental. 

Depends what he wants to do. 

Cali teams are on the downswing. If he wants to win he's not gonna be able to do it in Cali.

Should be interesting to keep an eye on.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Wait what?

Like...who?

Turcotte, Vilardi, Kaliyev, Fagemo, Madden, Kupari, Thomas, Clague, Bjornfot, Petersen, and a top five pick in this years draft. 

They had the best prospect pool in hockey before this trade.

Edited by Darkstar
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

He'll likely go back to LA if they are willing to sign him back. He'll pbbly take less to sign with LA. 

Alot of players do not live where their team is and just stays with a teammate during home games... he likely stays with pearson. I doubt he would make a decision based on that. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Depends what he wants to do. 

Cali teams are on the downswing. If he wants to win he's not gonna be able to do it in Cali.

Should be interesting to keep an eye on.

Quick google search shows she works in media as an entertainment coordinator.(least it's not something tied to the sport)

She'd have plenty of alternatives in Vancouver..especially with the name and organizations connections

Like you said tho depends on what he wants.Hes in his prime, Vancouver is on the rise and one of his best buds plays here.

I have a little faith.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I am not discrediting what Madden has done he has promise. He is a good B prospect. He could have a career. But he isn't a sure thing. Petey and Hughes were sure things, they proved that, that's is why they were drafted so high and Petey definitely proved that smashing records in his D+1. Is Madden having a Petey-level season in his D+1? Success in the NCAA doesn't always mean success in the NHL. Weight's gonna hold Madden back a few years. He's gonna have to get bigger. Those issues are worse on him than they are Petey/Hughes and he isn't nearly as good as them.

Main problem with Madden's weight is the fact he isn't adding much, if any.  That means either he's not trying, or it's a crapshoot to figure out if he'll be able to at all.  His dad played in the NHL so he knows he needs to get bigger, and he's surrounded by people who know how to help.  I think he'll have a decent career in Europe.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Alot of players do not live where their team is and just stays with a teammate during home games... he likely stays with pearson. I doubt he would make a decision based on that. 

Usually they're single and/or it's short term.  I'm sure he'd rather to have his wife around during the season (and likely she feels the same, and would have some input).

43 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

maybe she gets a better job offer with the Canucks. Way too much speculation going on, lets just see where it goes. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1