The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Main problem with Madden's weight is the fact he isn't adding much, if any.  That means either he's not trying, or it's a crapshoot to figure out if he'll be able to at all.  His dad played in the NHL so he knows he needs to get bigger, and he's surrounded by people who know how to help.  I think he'll have a decent career in Europe.

He was 155 in December last report I saw.

I am not gonna go that low to say decent career in Europe lol but I am not gonna go to high for him either.

Good B prospect but a ways away.

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Just heard Toffoli's wife apparently has a good job with LA Dodgers.

He'll likely go back to LA if they are willing to sign him back. He'll pbbly take less to sign with LA. 

Or ANA could be an option. 

Just got that info. I'm much less confident we will re sign him now.

This looks mostly like a pure and simple rental. 

if JB and Aquaman really want him, they will find her an awesome job, she probably makes no more than 200K, thats a drop in the bucket for Aquaman

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I would say B+ prospect, good on Judd Bracket for making this trade possible

3rd rounder too. We seem to have success there.

Gotta watch out for some College/CHL FAs this year, I expect JB to get some with the lack of picks we got this year.

ZMac CHL FA and Rafferty NCAA FA the notables.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

if JB and Aquaman really want him, they will find her an awesome job, she probably makes no more than 200K, thats a drop in the bucket for Aquaman

Regardless of wants, where dies the cap money come from to sign Tofu?  Do we just not sign Marky and Tanev?  Tofu is a rental.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Regardless of wants, where dies the cap money come from to sign Tofu?  Do we just not sign Marky and Tanev?  Tofu is a rental.  

ericcksson is almost certainly gone, will probably retire

Ferland will probably retire

stecher traded

sutter will probably be traded for a late pick or two, now that our centers are: Petey- Bo-Gaud-Beaglewe will probably sign a cheaper 4C in the offseason, plus he is hurt all the time now.

that is a lot of money off the books there- like 15 million

I don't see JB keeping LE on this team with all the ppl we need to sign

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

How is the fact that Petey and Hughes were drafted top 10 because of their elite skill and Madden wasn't hindsight bias? It's a matter of fact. They're better players for a reason unless you're suggesting otherwise?

I am not discrediting what Madden has done he has promise. He is a good B prospect. He could have a career. But he isn't a sure thing. Petey and Hughes were sure things, they proved that, that's is why they were drafted so high and Petey definitely proved that smashing records in his D+1. Is Madden having a Petey-level season in his D+1? Success in the NCAA doesn't always mean success in the NHL. Weight's gonna hold Madden back a few years. He's gonna have to get bigger. Those issues are worse on him than they are Petey/Hughes and he isn't nearly as good as them.

With how things are going this year with prospects you could make a list and have him outside of the top 5 prospects on this team. Personally I have Hog and Pods ahead and Lind, Rafferty, Rathbone have been making good cases as well, so you could. That right there shows the amount of depth we have.

Funny enough Benning put Boucher ahead of Baer and didn't even mention Goldobin when asked about the depth we have in Utica. Are they better than Toffoli? Would they have a better chance at replacing what Boeser brings than Toffoli? Shouldn't be hard to weigh the odds there. There's also the argument that Bo needs a staple on his line but TT is gonna play with Petey/Millsy which shows that they want someone better than Virtanan there or want enough depth that Virtanen is one the lesser lines.

Well to re-sign him JB is gonna have to put in a lot of work. Trading Baer/Sutter between now and the draft is now a must. We gotta see what the plans are with Ferland and Eriksson, whether or not none, one or both retire. Does Tryamkin come back and how good is he if he does? There are a lot of variables around it that's for certain and the only other certain thing is it'll be interesting to watch.

I merely cited Petey and Hughes as examples of players that overcame size issues. I never said that I consider Madden to on par with Hughes and Petey as prospects. 

The question isn't whether or not the players I cited are a proper replacement for Boeser, or can bring what Toffoli can. They obviously can't. The question is what leaves us in better shape going forward. Moving one of our top prospects and a 2nd for Toffoli, leaving things as is, or moving that package for blueline help instead? I would argue that options 2 and 3 are preferable to option 1, especially considering that we aren't even close to being a Stanley Cup contender quite yet. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think the rebuild is over yet. 

On a less argumentative note, I could see us moving Baertschi before the deadline. I understand that nobody took him while he was on waivers, but if we were to retain some salary and move him for "future considerations" (aka nothing), I can see a team having interest in him as a black ace or something. Sutter is a weird one. The guy can't stay healthy, and he's paid too much, but he definitely makes the team better, and we don't really have anyone that can fill his role. I do think we need to move him, but what can we replace him with? We already bleed high risk chances like a fountain, and now we're moving our best defensive center. 

12 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

ericcksson is almost certainly gone, will probably retire

Ferland will probably retire

stecher traded

sutter will probably be traded for a late pick or two, now that our centers are: Petey- Bo-Gaud-Beaglewe will probably sign a cheaper 4C in the offseason, plus he is hurt all the time now.

that is a lot of money off the books there- like 15 million

I don't see JB keeping LE on this team with all the ppl we need to sign

It would be great if all these things you suggest happen, but what if none do?  

• Cheers 1

Crap. I’m off the internet for a day and there’s already 117 pages, which I’m sure contain enough tears to fill English Bay. :P

Just going on record to say that I like this trade. GMJB just trying to improve the team with proven talent, with Stanley Cup pedigree. 
And at what price?

Oh yeah, whipping boy Schaller will be sorely missed. /s. 
Not worried about the draft pick, so Madden for Tofoli, is seems okay. Madden might go on to have a good NHL career, and if so, good for him. It will give the second guessers something to talk about for years to come.

Welcome to Van City Tyler. I hope you stay a while and pot a bunch of goals.

• Cheers 3

Another reason why I like this trade is because I believe he will re-sign. His former linemate and friend is on the team, they won a Cup together. The Canucks are a team on the rise, and with Pettersson and Hughes, anything is possible. I think he'll love living here too. As for how they can fit him under the cap, they'll figure it out. I can see Sutter and Stecher dealt, and maybe even Loui retires or is bought out.

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Just heard Toffoli's wife apparently has a good job with LA Dodgers.

He'll likely go back to LA if they are willing to sign him back. He'll pbbly take less to sign with LA. 

Or ANA could be an option. 

Just got that info. I'm much less confident we will re sign him now.

This looks mostly like a pure and simple rental. 

I heard that too...only the guy that called in said "girlfriend"...so not sure he has all the info.

Plus...Dodgers/baseball season.  Different than hockey season.

"If they're willing" was the other part of the conversation and they may be looking for younger players as they'll likely have to tear it down.  Not sure they'd pay to have him back so it matters little what his wife wants.

Anaheim too...teams don't have that sentimental attachment that brings players back based on that loyalty.

I say we just let it play out, as no one knows anything at this point.  All sheer speculation.