The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser drives play on whatever line he’s on.  

Wild are screwed with three anchor contracts, and will suffer for a decade.

Dumba’s value is able to get a guy like Drouin.  

Did you really just say that?

Boeser was clearly injured for most of the season, but his game isn't a "play driver". He's a finisher primarily, with above average passing.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

We should resign Tanev, let Fantenberg walk, trade Benn, and Stecher is an RFA, so we could trade his rights after the season is over for a pick before the draft. Sign Tryamkin (assuming all the talk isn't just a mirage), promote a couple d from Utica for 6/7th spots, imo.

With Edler, Tanev, and Myers, the team has veterans taking half the spots. Signing Tryamkin would be excellent (if as you say it isn't smoke being blown), and opening up the remainder to the youth in Utica. I like it.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

While I like the idea that he is going to sign because I think we need a top two right winger, I am not sure where the cap comes from.

Even assuming that Ferland's career is over and we let Leivo walk.

We may be able to sign two of Markstrom, Tanev and Toffoli but unlikely all three.  If Tryamkin comes in it may not even make two possible.

I don't subscribe to the magical thinking on this board that Loui will get his bonus and just walk away and doubt we can find a taker on Baerschi (though Arizona could actually use him).

I think we pay and/or retain to move Baer. I also think we'll look to shed Roussel (who will actually garner a modicum of a return) either this TDL or this summer. From there, we can hope Eriksson retires or pay and/or retain to move him as well. The cap's there, it just might take a little effort ;)

And before you say 'nobody's going to take on Baer/Eriksson', people were telling me the same thing about Schaller as recently as a few days ago on here.

46 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Matt Dumba after we deal Boeser for him ;)

If I read one more Boeser for Dumba post....:picard: 

Dumba is the last thing we need and Boeser's a poor fit on MIN. We already have Hughes (and to a lesser extent, Rafferty and Rathbone), we have zero need for Dumba. If anything, we need a (younger) 'Suter' to play with Hughes.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I like it. With Edler, Tanev, and Myers, the team has veterans taking half the spots. Signing Tryamkin would be excellent (if as you say it isn't smoke being blown), and opening up the remainder to the youth in Utica. I like it.

Hughes?

14 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

We should resign Tanev, let Fantenberg walk, trade Benn, and Stecher is an RFA, so we could trade his rights after the season is over for a pick before the draft. Sign Tryamkin (assuming all the talk isn't just a mirage), promote a couple d from Utica for 6/7th spots, imo.

I also like it, where there is smoke there is fire so here's to hoping Tryam rumours are true.  I would hate to lose Tanev, he is underrated.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Pears said:

And what are those assets we traded doing right now compared to Miller and Toffoli? Also we traded no such player named Marek Marazek. 

No doubt.

Marazek never even saw blue and green and Schaller didn’t work out......ever.

so essentially we traded low percentage picks relative to actual nhl potential and a prospect for two legit scoring top six wingers and one who can play C.

thats not even considering the positive effect these players will have on our team - JT Miller already proving that.

its time for playoffs for this team.

shocking how many fans want it both ways.

go Canucks! 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think we pay and/or retain to move Baer. I also think we'll look to shed Roussel (who will actually garner a modicum of a return) either this TDL or this summer. From there, we can hope Eriksson retires or pay and/or retain to move him as well. The cap's there, it just might take a little effort ;)

And before you say 'nobody's going to take on Baer/Eriksson', people were telling me the same thing about Schaller as recently as a few days ago on here.

If I read one more Boeser for Dumba post....:picard: 

Dumba is the last thing we need and Boeser's a poor fit on MIN. We already have Hughes (and to a lesser extent, Rafferty and Rathbone), we have zero need for Dumba. If anything, we need a (younger) 'Suter' to play with Hughes.

Schaller is an upcoming UFA.  He was a cap dump in the deal to make the money work.  Not a trade where he was considered an asset.  LA is out of the playoffs at this point of the season.  Everything resets next season and most teams don’t want to start their season with cap dumps on their roster.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Well he said it sucks being traded. Hes not happy to leave LA and said it wasn't his choice to leave. But hes bff with Pearsson and like the direction our team is going and the young players on the team have good future. He'll be willing to re sign I think. 

If he fits in well they make playoffs I think JB and Toffoli try to make it happen if numbers work. 

Cheers WHL...

yeah I thought he sounded positive about coming here. Not surprised he’s none too happy about leaving his mates in LA, but since he had to, he was fairly up beat about being in Vancouver...

i agree, it sounded like he would re sign here, if it works out, Canucks offer a contract and the money is right...

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Schaller is an upcoming UFA.  He was a cap dump in the deal to make the money work.  Not a trade where he was considered an asset.  LA is out of the playoffs at this point of the season.  Everything resets next season and most teams don’t want to start their season with cap dumps on their roster.

No $&!#. Doesn't change that he was evidently 'immovable' yet still got moved.

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Dumba needs a Tanev to succeed.  In Minnesota he played either with Suter and now Brodin.  Dumba can be an adventure in his own end.  He needs a strong D partner to cover for him. 

True this. Dumba gets a lot of love on these boards but he is a tad overrated. I don't think he's whay we need. I think a Muzzin type would look good on our team. A more defensive, physical dman who can eat some minutes. 

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No $&!#. Doesn't change that he was evidently 'immovable' yet still got moved.

From what I noticed you were suggesting Boston or NYI - teams heading to the playoffs.  Not the same as a cap dump to make a trade work.

End of season were nothing is in play for LA vs start of the season.   Would have been more convenient for the Canucks to move Baertschi rather than Schaller as he has that year left. They weren’t able to make it happen.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

From what I noticed you were suggesting Boston or NYI - teams heading to the playoffs.  Not the same as a cap dump to make a trade work.

End of season were nothing is in play for LA vs start of the season.   Would have been more convenient for the Canucks to move Baertschi rather than Schaller as he has that year left. They weren’t able to make it happen.  

I was just suggesting moving him. I didn't really care to where or for what. And I was hardly suggesting we'd get 'value' from him (I think I proposed Schaller and our mid 7th for a later 6th if it was indeed a 'contender'). 

Is the TDL over? We could still move Baer (albeit likely with assets and/or retention).

Edited by aGENT

Top six is now set and bottom six has lots of options to sort itself out (and cover for injuries) = we will make the playoffs.

On D, top 4 are set, 5 when Tryamkin signs: Hughes, Meyers, Edler, Tanev, Tryamkin; with Stetcher, Benn, Fantenberg rounding out the top 8.

We could use one more (preferably top 4) D to force the D-Corps to fight for their positons and sort the wheat from the chaff.

I think we can only consider trading Tanev before the deadline if we are getting a legit top 2 RD back.

Otherwise, I think we should keep him in the interests of supporting the team, not just to get to the playoffs, but to have some successes there.

One thing I don't see considered on this long (took me 2 days to catch up) thread, is the effect playoff experience and success will have on the returns we get on trades in the off season.

Every Canuck that plays well in the playoffs is going to be worth much more after a good showing in the post-season.

And players like Tanev may choose to settle for less to stay a part of a much improved team.

More and more players are going to want to play for Vancouver and have a chance to Win The Cup.

1 hour ago, Kushman said:

Having taken a couple days to fully think over the trade, Im fully on board with it.

The price was high, but that's the market right now and toffoli is a proven player still in his prime. With boeser out for the rest of the season, this was a necessary move to keep the playoff dreams alive. Madden might turn out to be a great player, and that's fine. You have to give up quality to get quality. Seems like alot of posters here would like us to get these deals without giving up anything of value... As if benning could just package up a bunch of busts and hope the other team accepts simply because there are multiple pieces in the deal. If it were hoglander or podkolzin i would have been pissed, but Madden I'm okay with seeing how our centres seem to be set for the future and even as a winger he's severely undersized and this is a team that has had enough issues of being pushed around. Even if Madden excels in the nhl during the regular season ala Johnny Gaudreau, it's the playoffs that matter (thats where little Johnny consistently disappears). 

Toffoli has always been a huge canuck killer, playing against him always reminded me of playing the old avs team where you knew either tanguay or hejduk was gonna light us up.. Glad to have him as part of the good guys for a change. Would not be surprised if he lights it up and wants to stick around for whats building here. Benning said they'll look to make decisions and move guys around by the draft, so I trust he has a plan to fit him in for the future. Only way this trade is bad is if tofolli walks in the summer and we don't even make playoffs, but I don't mind the risk if it means our young guys get a taste of what real nhl hockey is about.

I guess I have to be ok with it too and see how it plays out, as this is the team I cheer for, being a fan doesn't mean we won't question moves though (I am sure JB is doing the exact same, and it wasn't a easy move)

Maybe its not so much giving up quality for quality that is worrisome, but maybe the concern is about how long of a return are you getting for young assets?

If you are trading them, shouldn't we be moving them for positions that we are weaker on? (and for longer term)?

Or you become Toronto West,

In the playoffs you especially need good defence

If he plays with Ep  and Miller, and  plays well and doesn't resign then (by his choice,) or, made him too expensive now, we just helped him wrestle a bigger paycheque playing with EP and Miller

I am thinking in a cap world you will have maybe 3 core forwards, maybe 2 defenceman and a goalie that you will have to spend most of your cap on

You will need to have good Cheap young prospects to keep adding (sell high, before they get big dollars and retain picks, especially if you are now a winning team ,you won't be getting top picks anymore)

A lot of ufa were not top 6 draft picks that made a name for themselves, can't we bring some up that are young and hungry to make a name for themselves, without having to buy it? Especially if everyone believes Benning and Bracket are good at drafting maybe we have potential in having a younger TT already?  (TT was a 2nd round)

Until we start inserting these players, they will just be unproven prospects