The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Even though it makes sense to play Toffoli with Pearson and Horvat, I wonder if part of the idea of playing Toffoli with Pettersson is to also show Toffoli that he is someone that could be a significant part of the Canucks moving forward, so much so that he gets to play with Pettersson.  Pettersson is clearly someone that has garnered a lot of interest around the league and if Toffoli can find a fit with Pettersson and Miller, then it bodes well for Toffoli's future just as much as it does for the Canucks.

The great thing about Toffoli is that if he can stay in the fold with the Canucks beyond this season, he's a player that is versatile like Miller and in the same age range.  It gives the Canucks three top-6/9 forwards who the drafted young stars can grow alongside with.  It's a good situation for Toffoli.

If the Canucks can roll out a forward group of Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli/Boeser, Pearson-Horvat-Boeser/Toffoli and Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen next year, then that will be a huge improvement in depth.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Tower102 said:

I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I think after the bonus is paid out on July 1st he would rather have his contract terminated then play in the minors. I think by keeping him up in the big leagues all year JB has helped LE out and maybe he will return the favour. He would only make 5 million for 2 years stuck in the minors or he could terminate the contract and sign elsewhere for 1-2 million a year being a defensively responsible winger on a 3rd or 4th line. 

I hope your right.  But many of us thought he'd go to Utica this year.  Never happened 

I'm excited about this trade. It shows the Canucks are all-in for playoffs this year. Will be nice to put the car flags back on this spring. I thought they would automatically put Toffoli with Pearson, but it's also interesting that he'll be playing on Pettersson's wing. That's how you welcome a new Top 6 player, put him with your best C. Makes me wonder if CGY and EDM will be making moves as well, the Toffoli trade puts pressure on those teams. Love it. As for Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli? Can't wait to see it.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm excited about this trade. It shows the Canucks are all-in for playoffs this year. Will be nice to put the car flags back on this spring. I thought they would automatically put Toffoli with Pearson, but it's also interesting that he'll be playing on Pettersson's wing. That's how you welcome a new Top 6 player, put him with your best C. Makes me wonder if CGY and EDM will be making moves as well, the Toffoli trade puts pressure on those teams. Love it. As for Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli? Can't wait to see it.

It’s perfect. When Boeser comes in, he’s on Horvat’s wing. 

I asked:

PEARSON - CARTER - TOFFOLI

or

PEARSON - HORVAT - TOFFOLI

But now I ask:

PEARSON - CARTER - TOFFOLI

or

MILLER - PETTERSSON - TOFFOLI

?

Edited by Me_

3 hours ago, mll said:

He looked mostly inefficient playing with Gaudette.  

I think he looked inefficient for most of this season in general. I think this injury, as bad as it sounds, was a necessary one because he was going to play through an injury regardless of his performance. Boeser has tremendous amount of heart and passion for the game. He's never been cited as lazy ever. If he did look "lazy", it's because of his skating holding him back.

• Cheers 3

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

I guess I have to be ok with it too and see how it plays out, as this is the team I cheer for, being a fan doesn't mean we won't question moves though (I am sure JB is doing the exact same, and it wasn't a easy move)

Maybe its not so much giving up quality for quality that is worrisome, but maybe the concern is about how long of a return are you getting for young assets?

If you are trading them, shouldn't we be moving them for positions that we are weaker on? (and for longer term)?

Or you become Toronto West,

In the playoffs you especially need good defence

If he plays with Ep  and Miller, and  plays well and doesn't resign then (by his choice,) or, made him too expensive now, we just helped him wrestle a bigger paycheque playing with EP and Miller

I am thinking in a cap world you will have maybe 3 core forwards, maybe 2 defenceman and a goalie that you will have to spend most of your cap on

You will need to have good Cheap young prospects to keep adding (sell high, before they get big dollars and retain picks, especially if you are now a winning team ,you won't be getting top picks anymore)

A lot of ufa were not top 6 draft picks that made a name for themselves, can't we bring some up that are young and hungry to make a name for themselves, without having to buy it? Especially if everyone believes Benning and Bracket are good at drafting maybe we have potential in having a younger TT already?  (TT was a 2nd round)

Until we start inserting these players, they will just be unproven prospects

we have inserted young players every year and will continue to do so ,even Benning has said it yesterday, he sees  7 future Canucks  in the next 3 years that are in Utica or were drafted ,.  Just this year Hughes Gaudette and big mac have played  for the big team ,  next year it could be Hoglander, Lind and one or two of the dmen from Utica , year after that Podi and others . Our so called younger tt  is the guy that got hurt for 8 weeks , and the other younger tt are overseas and aren't ready yet , 3 rookie of the year finalists in a row apparently isn't good enough  now

your cap world sound  like Toronto  were you  have 4 core forward a dman and  a goalie  Tavares Marner Mathews and Nylander  rRelly  and Andersen? how is that working out ?  a one line team with no supporting cast  isn't going to get you far 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I hope your right.  But many of us thought he'd go to Utica this year.  Never happened 

I pencilled him down in Utica at the beginning of the season too, but if keeping him up this year leads to him agreeing to terminate his contract this off season, it is definitely worth while. He has also brought us more value playing on Horvats wing than either Baer or Goldobin would have most likely.

• Cheers 1

What Motte does for this team from the 4th line up is create symmetry,.  the Canucks chemistry seems to line up.

I think Toffoli is going to bring that same symmetry from the top lines down.

Cant wait to see them both in the line up at the same time..

me thinks Toffoli gets a minimum of 3 points tonight.    Welcome.

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Even though it makes sense to play Toffoli with Pearson and Horvat, I wonder if part of the idea of playing Toffoli with Pettersson is to also show Toffoli that he is someone that could be a significant part of the Canucks moving forward, so much so that he gets to play with Pettersson.  Pettersson is clearly someone that has garnered a lot of interest around the league and if Toffoli can find a fit with Pettersson and Miller, then it bodes well for Toffoli's future just as much as it does for the Canucks.

The great thing about Toffoli is that if he can stay in the fold with the Canucks beyond this season, he's a player that is versatile like Miller and in the same age range.  It gives the Canucks three top-6/9 forwards who the drafted young stars can grow alongside with.  It's a good situation for Toffoli.

If the Canucks can roll out a forward group of Miller-Pettersson-Toffoli/Boeser, Pearson-Horvat-Boeser/Toffoli and Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen next year, then that will be a huge improvement in depth.

Cause playing with our captain doesn't show how much we value him? Lol. 

1 hour ago, Tower102 said:

I pencilled him down in Utica at the beginning of the season too, but if keeping him up this year leads to him agreeing to terminate his contract this off season, it is definitely worth while. He has also brought us more value playing on Horvats wing than either Baer or Goldobin would have most likely.

I'm honestly not sure why people keep beating this dead horse.  There's absolutely nothing to substantiate those beliefs.  I fully expect LE to be in Van next season, just like expected him to be in Van this season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Cause playing with our captain doesn't show how much we value him? Lol. 

ha ha, fair enough.  I'm not trying to slag Horvat.  My point though is that playing with Pettersson is a unique opportunity.  Horvat's a really good player and yes, the captain.  Pettersson is the superstar however.  It's probably just reading too much into things but at the same time, some players might respond to things like that.

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

we have inserted young players every year and will continue to do so ,even Benning has said it yesterday, he sees  7 future Canucks  in the next 3 years that are in Utica or were drafted ,.  Just this year Hughes Gaudette and big mac have played  for the big team ,  next year it could be Hoglander, Lind and one or two of the dmen from Utica , year after that Podi and others . Our so called younger tt  is the guy that got hurt for 8 weeks , and the other younger tt are overseas and aren't ready yet , 3 rookie of the year finalists in a row apparently isn't good enough  now

your cap world sound  like Toronto  were you  have 4 core forward a dman and  a goalie  Tavares Marner Mathews and Nylander  rRelly  and Andersen? how is that working out ?  a one line team with no supporting cast  isn't going to get you far 

What ?, We have a core

We have Ep,Horvat,Miller,Brock Miller as a d (need another) Marky

But we have a lot of expensive bottom end players, where I would rather see guys develop on and use that money on signing core guys above and another D

32 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What ?, We have a core

We have Ep,Horvat,Miller,Brock Miller as a d (need another) Marky

But we have a lot of expensive bottom end players, where I would rather see guys develop on and use that money on signing core guys above and another D

We'll get there in due time. Those guys pretty much all expire in the next couple years.