The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

6 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What ?, We have a core

We have Ep,Horvat,Miller,Brock Miller as a d (need another) Marky

But we have a lot of expensive bottom end players, where I would rather see guys develop on and use that money on signing core guys above and another D

what ? you said in a cap world you need to pay most of the cap on 5 guys  , and that what Toronto has done and how has that worked out,  not very well , this is what happens when you don't surround young players with vets , you need a mix vets mid range and rookies

, yes in the next few years those bottom 6 will be phased out slowly while young players develop ,  sutter loui Roussel beagle baer will be gone in 2 years , the plan is in place . get playoff experience now so the core can pass it down to new players coming in,   

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wow!  He sure looks happy in our uniform 

Yeah because Petey looks like he’s glowing in his...common players don’t smile and try and be hardcore 

Edited by Pickly
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm honestly not sure why people keep beating this dead horse.  There's absolutely nothing to substantiate those beliefs.  I fully expect LE to be in Van next season, just like expected him to be in Van this season.

Miller-EP-Virt

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Rooster-Gaud-Leivo

MacEwen-Beagle-Sutter

Motte

He'll have to beat every single prospect out of Utica in order to get the 14th forward slot, and that's assuming we don't re-sign TT.  Given he's had about 5 games where he looked like an NHLer since he started wasting Aquilini's money, I have my doubts he'll suddenly stop playing like the worthless piece of garbage that he is.    Zero reason to bring that useless plug back.

21 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

And by all accounts Pearson seems to love it here with the Canucks and living in Vancouver, so he could sell Toffoli on staying. Kind of like an ace up our sleeve considering their close relationship. A player deciding whether to stay on or leave a NHL team is not always going to base their decision on dollars. Every player is different and has varying priorities for what matters most to them.

We tend to forget as fans that these players are all human beings and have more to consider then just how much they are paid.

It may come down to Pearson or his wife then........tough decision for the fella

2 hours ago, the grinder said:

what ? you said in a cap world you need to pay most of the cap on 5 guys  , and that what Toronto has done and how has that worked out,  not very well , this is what happens when you don't surround young players with vets , you need a mix vets mid range and rookies

, yes in the next few years those bottom 6 will be phased out slowly while young players develop ,  sutter loui Roussel beagle baer will be gone in 2 years , the plan is in place . get playoff experience now so the core can pass it down to new players coming in,   

What I meant by a cap world is you can't afford to pay more that that many superstars on your team

You certainly cannot afford to tie up huge dollars on 4th line guys either

That is why you need cheap younger prospects that you can slide into the line up at a cheaper cost while affording to keep your EP, Millers Markstrom etc

I believe the Canucks more pressing need is on Defence for the playoffs (Its what wins in the playoffs)

When Leivo, Boeser, Ferland etc are back we have too many forwards, while weak on D still and used young tradeable assets on forwards who May not even stay, while at the same time risk affording to sign the ones we want to keep

That is why, if we are trading young assets like Madden, why not do it for a dman instead?

TT was a 2nd rounder

Benning and Judd who are regarded as good drafters , should  have already drafted a younger TT who made himself a name at a young age

Why pay high for these guys, when you already have the talent, just needing the chance like TT was given at a younger age?

If we put ourselves in a bad cap situation, are we going to offer more young prospects to off load contracts to take on our cap troubles?

This is a discussion forum and a question I hope does not become a reality

I guess that means they are all in. Madden a second and conditional 4th. This is exactly what Benning said he would not do, unless they know that they can sign him. Giving up assets for a rental. We are not there yet. This is what a team that is vying for the cup does.

If they can sign him then it could be a solid trade. Madden is very small. Toffoli could be a solid piece moving forward if they can resign him.

THE WINDOW IS SMALL SO THEY MIGHT AS WELL GO FOR IT!!!

Edited by appleboy

21 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

He seemed pretty choked yesterday to have been traded so it's not surprising he isn't all smiles the next day... it'll be fine, especially after an actual game or two

It’s understandable considering that was the team that drafted him and he won a cup there.

Hopefully he’s not set on living in Cali no matter what and we can re-sign him.

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I guess that means they are all in. Madden a second and conditional 4th. This is exactly what Benning said he would not do, unless they know that they can sign him. Giving up assets for a rental. We are not there yet. This is what a team that is vying for the cup does.

If they can sign him then it could be a solid trade. Madden is very small. Toffoli could be a solid piece moving forward if they can resign him.

Did you miss the part where Boes, Leivo are gone for the regular season at lesson and Ferland is done for the year?  JB had no choice, he had to make a move.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What I meant by a cap world is you can't afford to pay more that that many superstars on your team

You certainly cannot afford to tie up huge dollars on 4th line guys either

That is why you need cheap younger prospects that you can slide into the line up at a cheaper cost while affording to keep your EP, Millers Markstrom etc

I believe the Canucks more pressing need is on Defence for the playoffs (Its what wins in the playoffs)

When Leivo, Boeser, Ferland etc are back we have too many forwards, while weak on D still and used young tradeable assets on forwards who May not even stay, while at the same time risk affording to sign the ones we want to keep

That is why, if we are trading young assets like Madden, why not do it for a dman instead?

TT was a 2nd rounder

Benning and Judd who are regarded as good drafters , should  have already drafted a younger TT who made himself a name at a young age

Why pay high for these guys, when you already have the talent, just needing the chance like TT was given at a younger age?

If we put ourselves in a bad cap situation, are we going to offer more young prospects to off load contracts to take on our cap troubles?

This is a discussion forum and a question I hope does not become a reality

Injuries to fwds.  Pretty simple

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Did you miss the part where Boes, Leivo are gone for the regular season at lesson and Ferland is done for the year?  JB had no choice, he had to make a move.

I did miss that. I new Leivo was a ways off. I also noticed that squeezing Boeser, Leivo and Tiffoli in under the cap would be difficult. I was thinking that there might be another deal coming. If those two are out until the playoffs then the cap problems are solved. LOL

I think Ferland will be out more than this year. He may be done. 

That is a lot to give up for a rental. I guess it is playoffs at all cost , nothing more.