The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

35 minutes ago, stawns said:

JB had no choice, he had to make a move.

He had a choice, and he chose to mortgage some of the future on an in demand pending UFA winger that other teams were interested in. The Canucks could have promoted Virtanen into the top 6, I mean that waste of space 6m player is still riding top 6 minutes... We also COULD have brought up Goldobin/Lind/Baer. but 2 of those 3 are likely never going to see Canuck sweaters ever again.

We also have Bailey and Mac that could slot into the bottom 6, the trade is done now I just don't think we are in a position to be giving up the kind of assets we are at this point. I mean we are "trying" to make the playoffs we aren't considered cup contenders trying to load up for a long playoff drive.

I hope it works out, Toffoli not sure if he has any interest signing here...at least Pearson is here who he is good buddies with. But his woman has some 5 or 6 figure job in Cali so....who knows if he lets his wife dictate where he plays or if he just doesn't want to play in Canada?

All in all, hoping we sold high on Madden and hope LA takes an awful player with that 2nd round pick who turns into a bust and never plays in the NHL

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That is a lot to give up for a rental. I guess it is playoffs at all cost , nothing more.  

For a team in our position, I 100% agree. But GM JB doesn't care about anything more than making the playoffs and getting some extra $ in the owners pocket. If we don't make the playoffs, which I find hard to see happening but if we did I think JB should be fired or have the GM tag removed from his job description

47 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

What I meant by a cap world is you can't afford to pay more that that many superstars on your team

You certainly cannot afford to tie up huge dollars on 4th line guys either

That is why you need cheap younger prospects that you can slide into the line up at a cheaper cost while affording to keep your EP, Millers Markstrom etc

I believe the Canucks more pressing need is on Defence for the playoffs (Its what wins in the playoffs)

When Leivo, Boeser, Ferland etc are back we have too many forwards, while weak on D still and used young tradeable assets on forwards who May not even stay, while at the same time risk affording to sign the ones we want to keep

That is why, if we are trading young assets like Madden, why not do it for a dman instead?

TT was a 2nd rounder

Benning and Judd who are regarded as good drafters , should  have already drafted a younger TT who made himself a name at a young age

Why pay high for these guys, when you already have the talent, just needing the chance like TT was given at a younger age?

If we put ourselves in a bad cap situation, are we going to offer more young prospects to off load contracts to take on our cap troubles?

This is a discussion forum and a question I hope does not become a reality

did you not read my post?     I mentioned the bottom six by name being phased out over 2 years  

mentioned  JB even said  7 players in Utica or drafted would be on the canucks in 2-3 years 

TT replaced Boesser ( injured for 2 months ) podi and hoglander  are not ready yet ( TT type players )

we have injected youth every year , hughes  gaudette and big mac this year 

3 rookie of the year finalists  ,I would say that is excellent drafting  

you mention TT as a second round pick ,TT didn't step right in to the nhl he spent time in ahl just like Lind is , so it takes time 

a 2nd and a 3rd isn't a high price for nhl playoff proven player

, if we gave away hoglander i would  be on we gave  way too much wagon but we gave away a 5foot7 150 lb center , 

we may give away some b level guys to off load contracts , but JB isn't giving away any of the  top ten on his radar

• Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Me_ said:

1.4% chance Toffoli doesn’t re-sign with the Canucks because of his wife.

Because u are 100% sure LA would re sign him, and even if they did he would take the huge pay cut they would expect to play with a team about to go into a rebuild?

Luongo s wife was from as far away as u can get from Vancouver,  and how long did he play here ?

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

• -AJ- unpinned and unfeatured this topic
2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Because u are 100% sure LA would re sign him, and even if they did he would take the huge pay cut they would expect to play with a team about to go into a rebuild?

Luongo s wife was from as far away as u can get from Vancouver,  and how long did he play here ?

Re-read my post.

we agree.

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

1.4% chance Toffoli doesn’t re-sign with the Canucks because of his wife.

I think Tofu is not signing here or LA.  If he wants to live and play close to where his wife works he will need to take a big pay cut and a shorter term than he could get elsewhere.  He’s going to get at least 5x5 from a team out there.  We can’t afford that cap or term.  The Kings are rebuilding, and will not give that length of term.  

On 2/19/2020 at 2:22 AM, Junkyard Dog said:
On 2/19/2020 at 1:46 AM, WHL rocks said:

Just heard Toffoli's wife apparently has a good job with LA Dodgers.

He'll likely go back to LA if they are willing to sign him back. He'll pbbly take less to sign with LA. 

Or ANA could be an option. 

Just got that info. I'm much less confident we will re sign him now.

This looks mostly like a pure and simple rental. 

Depends what he wants to do. 

Cali teams are on the downswing. If he wants to win he's not gonna be able to do it in Cali.

Should be interesting to keep an eye on.

Sorry, it is the modern world, the wifey doesn't just pack up her career and leave if it can be helped.

Better taxes in the states and lower cost of living in California.

Cali teams will not take the same amount of time to rebuild as Vancouver has, remember Vancouver has only been rebuilding for two seasons according to what Linden and Benning have said, With the amount of picks and prospects they are picking up they will get done in 3 years, the league average and before all their star players quit hockey.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, milk and honey said:

Minny ain't giving up a first this year. Ownership and management might want playoffs but he is selling if players aren't preforming. Boeser becomes best player since Gaborik imo. Parise is good but never lived up to his contact. Best year in minny was like 62 or something points iirc. Boeser best was 56 at 21. More to stats maybe someone can compare advanced stats but also being a home town kid in minny which is a small market would be huge imo. Leaves a big hole on the first line though because let's be honest neither Toffoli, or Virtanen are 1st wingers. 

I think we got 20m in cap space to sign virtanen, markstrom, toffoli and Tanev. 

Toffoli 3years 12m

Markstrom 5years 27.5m

Virtanen 3years for 10m

Tanev 2year 6.5

Stretcher 2years 2m

Should leave room for Tryamkin to. Ferland career might be done so gives us an extra 3million. So sad because he is a playoff player that we need badly. 

Something about having a team filled with guys in the 30's? in 3 Toffoli - 32, Markstrom - 35, Tanev - 33, at that it will be Tanev's last chance for a big pay day so he will want a longer term contract. His shut down play will attract attention from teams with way more money or cap space than Vancouver can now afford, the same with Markstrom, for the Canucks to commit to Markstrom stops the future and could put the Canucks on the road to middle of the road team until they blow it up again.

As far as some grand plan of Benning's, wasn't this supposed to be a build the properly, through the draft and to have patience?

Suddenly he is trading even more picks of higher quality for rentals and making his own team's expiring contracts rentals as well, because none of them is obligated to re-sign here for a discount to get under the cap or should he offer even more clause contracts to 30 something players, maybe take the number up to 10 or 12 clause contracts?

Fans here and on the media just love to rip other teams, fine it is a Vancouver forum after all, but it is so unreal that many of the same criticisms are applicable here?

I AM NOT A FAN OF TORONTO BUT the crap they are taking for being better than the Canucks, younger and their team in better cap shape next year with a lot fewer clause contracts to hamper them and most importantly the division they play in that has two of the best team in the league, one of which rebuilt in 2 years, Boston and Tampa who cratered twice to pick up top 5 picks. Not to mention that there is Washington and the Penquins to get past as well, altogether those team have played and won 6 of the last 7 cups. Just saying they are younger and in a harder division and conference, so why does this team seem to be getting the free rides?

The Toffoli trade in and of itself is a good trade, maybe not the one this team needed though, a defense man, Dillion or Martinez would have made a lot more sense, the shots against have to be reduced. But even though the bottom fell out of the division for what ever reason, maybe the depth of this draft to get very high quality players deep or just following a plan, it is a division that the worst wild card team in the east might be the best team in this division.

And now there is media talk about trading Raffety, Woo, Tryamkin, Lockwod for a depth defense man? Something is wrong there, why move one of those guys without just promoting them first, Tanev did great when called up as a rookie in the playoffs and he didn't have a lot of playoff experience with any team he had played on before.

Toffoli trade, okay, it is a good deal if somehow he re-signed, but not as a rental, not for that much unless it is to polish off a contender, any more deals like this, aiming at outscoring in the playoffs rather than shutting down and playing tighter in the playoffs is not a very good plan. No shoot outs in the playoffs, no 3 on 3's, some games. the way this team currently plays, Markstrom may have to stop 80 or 90 shots if it went to triple over time or more.

Edited by Lazurus

30 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Why does the wife need to move? Vancouver is on the west coast, just like LA. Y’all have too much time on your hands, worrying about player’s wives. 

Exactly

My friends wife stays at their home in Yuma for 5-6 months He goes down for 2 months at Christmas, and comes back to his home here to run his business  and they both love it

Plus TT brings in far more money to the family, they could afford to wait for the right  job for her if she wanted to live with him