The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well all three California teams are in rebuild mode and are jettisoning all their high priced vets.  The deck is stacked against TT returning to California even if his wife wants to.

So I guess it depends if they want him back or not indeed. But a solid vet that wants to be in LA to work with the young guys is nothing to scoff at. Many people wanted Edler to do this. Toffoli didn't have trade restrictions and it brought back a youthful return and they could get him back as well. I'm not saying it's for certain as for Toffoli himself, I'm sure he wants to play competitive hockey. However his wife seems like a die hard LA lover, so I guess we will see how much his wife is a contributing factor in where he ends up.

I'm not panicking about it, but at the same time, that's my biggest concern about whether he would re-sign here for sure.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So I guess it depends if they want him back or not indeed. But a solid vet that wants to be in LA to work with the young guys is nothing to scoff at. Many people wanted Edler to do this. Toffoli didn't have trade restrictions and it brought back a youthful return and they could get him back as well. I'm not saying it's for certain as for Toffoli himself, I'm sure he wants to play competitive hockey. However his wife seems like a die hard LA lover, so I guess we will see how much his wife is a contributing factor in where he ends up.

I'm not panicking about it, but at the same time, that's my biggest concern about whether he would re-sign here for sure.

I don't disagree, but I think JB has a decent shot.  Unlike many here, even if he is a rental, even if the end up missing the playoffs I'm still in favour of the trade.  The move was a show of support for the players and coaches who have worked so hard this season........they deserved that move, imo..

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, stawns said:

Well all three California teams are in rebuild mode and are jettisoning all their high priced vets.  The deck is stacked against TT returning to California even if his wife wants to.

Sharks are not in rebuild mode.  They say (including their owner) that they are treating this season  like 2014/15 where they missed the playoffs but went right tot the finals the following season.  They’ve made it known that their core is not available per Friedman and also LeBrun.

They’ll need to fix goaltending in the summer.  How much cap space the have after that - unclear.  Will they have enough to add depth.   

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Sharks are not in rebuild mode.  They say (including their owner) that they are treating this season  like 2014/15 where they missed the playoffs but went right tot the finals the following season.  They’ve made it known that their core is not available per Friedman and also LeBrun.

They’ll need to fix goaltending in the summer.  How much cap space the have after that - unclear.  Will they have enough to add depth.   

They can say whatever they want, but the Sharks reality is pretty obvious, imo.

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

There's nothing stopping them from getting a small place here and keeping L.A. as their home base FWIW.

Baseball is a summer sport, hockey a winter one. They're pretty well off and can afford a few extra flights here and there. Besides, it's not like he wouldn't be on road trips half of the season anyway.

If he wants to play competitive, potentially playoff hockey, it won't likely be for a California team. His next best options would be us, VGK and ARZ.

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

They can say whatever they want, but the Sharks reality is pretty obvious, imo.

Wilson tells media/observers that they are not in the room and don’t have the same insight as the team.  Rebuilding doesn’t look to be their mindset.

Edited by mll

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Wilson tells media/observers that they are not in the room and don’t have the same insight as the team.  Rebuilding doesn’t look to be their mindset.

I hear Wilson also plans to spend part of this summer vacationing, river side, in Egypt.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I hear Wilson also plans to spend part of this summer vacationing, river side, in Egypt.

Don’t understand what you mean.  He shut down the idea of rebuilding when asked and the owner is backing him up.  They might just fall further down.  

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Maybe they should heed the Rolling Stones message You can't always get what you want

We all wish we were somewhere at times

I wish I was in a box seat or front row at the game

instead I listen to the Stones song  ;)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Of course you don't :lol:

That’s what a GM who thinks rebuild would say?

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/01/31/sharks-gm-doug-wilson-talks-expectations-ek65-martin-jones-and-trade-deadline/

Still, Wilson believes he has the framework of a contending team, led by Couture, Hertl, wingers Evander Kane and Timo Meier and defensemen Erik Karlsson, Brent Burns and Marc-Edouard Vlasic. 

“To win in this league, I think you have to have a bit deeper of a core. I don’t think you can be carried by just one or two players.” Wilson said. “When you look at the positions those guys play, center, defense or power wingers, it allows you to bring in people around them. I think how we’ve dedicated our dollars is to the proper positions. We’ll have some opportunities to grow this team. 

“But I don’t think I look at it as a big an issue as (an outsider) would.” 

“People are entitled to their comments, but they don’t have the luxury of being within this group,” Wilson said. “When you don’t have the results, people may get frustrated.”

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

There's nothing stopping them from getting a small place here and keeping L.A. as their home base FWIW.

Baseball is a summer sport, hockey a winter one. They're pretty well off and can afford a few extra flights here and there. Besides, it's not like he wouldn't be on road trips half of the season anyway.

If he wants to play competitive, potentially playoff hockey, it won't likely be for a California team. His next best options would be us, VGK and ARZ.

Not saying it's impossible. Just the biggest concern. We all know how some wives have a large influence. Perhaps she doesn't like the blah wintery weather here and prefers the sunshine all year.

31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Not saying it's impossible. Just the biggest concern. We all know how some wives have a large influence. Perhaps she doesn't like the blah wintery weather here and prefers the sunshine all year.

Again, than she can largely stay in LA while he's away half the year on road trips anyway, with occasional flights up to Van to see him etc, etc.

I'm really not concerned. We're one of a few good teams on the West coast AND we traded for him (showed interest), by all accounts the Canucks are one of the top organizations to play for and he's got some damned good players to play with as well as one of his best friends (some of whom he'll hopefully develop chemistry with soon).

3 hours ago, IRR said:

It's possible he signs back with LA in the summer, but honestly, if they wanted to keep him bad enough, they probably would have re-signed him by now. There has been players that get traded, then re-sign in the summer, but it's not common. I think LA is ready to move on from players / re-build. So, if not LA, it might as well be a city close to LA / a team your with?! Although, we have to make it work as well.  

TT is 27. He doesn't fit in their rebuild, much like how Hansen was given an opportunity to play elsewhere - the Sharks. That was sad.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

See bolded below.

This is something I've been preaching for a while now. Benning is the GM who is orchestrating a plan, his plan, which includes exactly what you said: build a team of character and skill and depth. Guys like Brackett go out and scout for guys that fit Benning's plan, yet some people like to give JB no credit and instead Brackett all of it. It's Benning's plan, not theirs.

Personally, if Brackett is feeling similar sentiments to Linden then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out, Judd. Remember when Linden's bud, Cloutier, was our goalie coach? Remember how Benning got rid of Linden's buddy and signed Clarke? How's Marky doing now?

Benning so obviously knows what he's doing and we're about to make the playoffs as a result for our first time with this new core, which will be invaluable experience for us each year moving forward. He deserves the credit first and foremost. If guys like Linden and Brackett think they know better, then they can go work for someone else and see if they can call the shots.

The mythology built up around Brackett around here is mind boggling.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

This screams rebuild.  They have over $53 Million committed to 7 players next year and no team to speak of beyond that - plus their goalie sucks - ouch

image.thumb.png.973814c3db9c007a19aeb70b54659919.png

image.thumb.png.745db6a45ec8c839fc8ad9074d8a4f98.png

That team is in a bad state.  Karlsson, Vlasic, Burns, Couture, Jones are all horrible contracts.  The only thing I would do is try to trade them all now and in the offseason and do a full rebuild.  That is definitely a yucky state of affairs there.

Karlsson would have been better off staying in Ottawa at this point.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

See bolded below.

This is something I've been preaching for a while now. Benning is the GM who is orchestrating a plan, his plan, which includes exactly what you said: build a team of character and skill and depth. Guys like Brackett go out and scout for guys that fit Benning's plan, yet some people like to give JB no credit and instead Brackett all of it. It's Benning's plan, not theirs.

Personally, if Brackett is feeling similar sentiments to Linden then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out, Judd. Remember when Linden's bud, Cloutier, was our goalie coach? Remember how Benning got rid of Linden's buddy and signed Clarke? How's Marky doing now?

Benning so obviously knows what he's doing and we're about to make the playoffs as a result for our first time with this new core, which will be invaluable experience for us each year moving forward. He deserves the credit first and foremost. If guys like Linden and Brackett think they know better, then they can go work for someone else and see if they can call the shots.

Craig Button, who is a pretty good hockey man and knows talent, almost laughed at JB’s assertion we were going to have at least 7 of our current prospects on our team over the next couple of years.  Maybe Linden and Bracket agree with Button, and believe we needed to continue to build more to end prospects through the draft before declaring the rebuild over?  

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Craig Button, who is a pretty good hockey man and knows talent, almost laughed at JB’s assertion we were going to have at least 7 of our current prospects on our team over the next couple of years.  Maybe Linden and Bracket agree with Button, and believe we needed to continue to build more to end prospects through the draft before declaring the rebuild over?  

We have 6 young players on the team right now that we’ve added over the last three years.

It’s really not that much of a stretch especially with the cap crunch coming.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1