The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

First, I have no credible source, I just heard or read somewhere recently that Toffoli could want to sign with a New York team in the off season. Not sure if the NYR or NYI could afford him, perhaps NYR once Kreider's salary comes off? The Islanders have a bit more cap space, but they're going to have to sign Barzal big money next season. They're kind of screwed with Ladd's contract. 

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to trade Toffoli now, to whichever NY team, to avoid losing him for nothing.   

Just a suggestion:

To NYR - Toffoli (UFA, will prob want $6), Benn (1 more year at $2) and Gadjovich 

to VAN - Buchnevich (1 more year at $3.25, then RFA) and Skjei (4 more years at $5.25)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Craig Button, who is a pretty good hockey man and knows talent, almost laughed at JB’s assertion we were going to have at least 7 of our current prospects on our team over the next couple of years.  Maybe Linden and Bracket agree with Button, and believe we needed to continue to build more to end prospects through the draft before declaring the rebuild over?  

Show the video.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

First, I have no credible source, I just heard or read somewhere recently that Toffoli could want to sign with a New York team in the off season. Not sure if the NYR or NYI could afford him, perhaps NYR once Kreider's salary comes off? The Islanders have a bit more cap space, but they're going to have to sign Barzal big money next season. They're kind of screwed with Ladd's contract. 

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to trade Toffoli now, to whichever NY team, to avoid losing him for nothing.   

Just a suggestion:

To NYR - Toffoli (UFA, will prob want $6), Benn (1 more year at $2) and Gadjovich 

to VAN - Buchnevich (1 more year at $3.25, then RFA) and Skjei (4 more years at $5.25)

Buchnevich and Skjei sound very much middle of the road a la Chubarov and Krajicek.

I think most people have Toffolitis from his days with the Kings as a Canucks killer.

It’s important not to water down the current chemistry too much. This team was top of the Pacific not two weeks ago.

Toffoli will re-sign.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

And Madden plus that second could have been used to dump Loui.  That would have saved six million off the cap, which could be used to resign Marky.  Basically we traded Madden plus a second so we could keep Loui, rent Tofu for 20 games, but ultimately lose Marky.  IMO, that’s terrible.  

But what if JB can use other assets to dump Loui?  If Toffoli signs at a reasonable price for a few years and gives us even 3/4 of what Miller has done, it's an excellent trade.  Madden may be great or the size issue may be a big challenge in the NHL......especially in the playoffs.  JB is building for the playoffs which we've needed for a long time.

On 2/21/2020 at 5:50 PM, Alflives said:

And Madden plus that second could have been used to dump Loui.  That would have saved six million off the cap, which could be used to resign Marky.  Basically we traded Madden plus a second so we could keep Loui, rent Tofu for 20 games, but ultimately lose Marky.  IMO, that’s terrible.  

If Benning sent Madden and a second to dump Eriksson, there would be a riot.

The Toffoli trade is exactly what the Canucks needed to do in order to keep the morale high and the dream alive in light of the Boeser injury.

We may not be able to recognize such a hockey move because the Canucks haven’t traded to patch a hole in over a decade.

This is a hockey trade that has the potential to payoff massive in the playoffs.

Don't forget that Boeser is coming back, maybe even before the playoffs start.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

Man I love this trade. Love Toffolis game as I said before he was at top of my wishlist for this tdl

Would be great if we can re sign him. 

Now add a solid RD. Some one with physicality and solid defensive game.

Could be a 5D guy with ability to jump into 4D spot.

Dillon was the perfect guy but he's in WSH now. They got a very good player for a 2nd and conditional 3rd. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Personally, I think we should worry about the offseason when the offseason comes. As of now this is a great looking deal. We needed help in the top 6 in a big way with the injuries to Leivo and Boeser. Without this trade our playoff hopes were all but gone.

Dunno man.

In 2071 the Canucks may not be able to re-sign players that aren’t born yet.

51 minutes ago, Me_ said:

If Benning sent Madden and a second to dump Eriksson, there would be a riot.

The Toffoli trade is exactly what the Canucks needed to do in order to keep the morale high and the dream alive in light of the Boeser injury.

We may not be able to recognize such a hockey move because the Canucks haven’t traded to patch a hole over a decade.

This is a hockey trade that has the potential to payoff massive in the playoffs.

Don't forget that Boeser is coming back, maybe even before the playoffs start.

Come on man, get your logic out of here! This isn’t the place. 

honestly it’s refreshing to see that there are still posters that can look at these deals with a wider scope rather than panic as soon as they see “CANUCKS TRADE: (draft pick/prospect) for (player)“ the fact is we finally have assets to use and are using them to improve. I can’t count how many times I’ve read people’s jealousy when a team with assets uses them to land a good player but when we do it the sky is falling, I think generally we over value our prospects :unsure:

not saying I think any of these moves are perfect but we don’t know what goes on in the room or how these things will turn out, I’m just happy we have a GM that’s willing to do what he thinks is best to move the team forward.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We have 6 young players on the team right now that we’ve added over the last three years.

It’s really not that much of a stretch especially with the cap crunch coming.

who are the 6? Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Gaudette, Demko and? i mean i added in boeser coz his 9 games didn't really count.. and macewen is really just a call up.. even if u include him that's 5? stecher? it's his 4th season so doesn't fit the last 3 year criteria so who's the 6th? also factoring in 3 of the 5 or 6 is 1st rounder and 1 is a goalie.. so really we only have 1 positional player in the last decade that's a non 1st rounder that's playing regular on this team.. so i fail to see how he thinks we have 7 up coming players that can be on the team in the next couple years.. when in the last decade we only have 3 players outside of the 1st round that have more than 100 games in the NHL. Gaudette.. Hutton and Forsling both that we got rid of. 

2 hours ago, Screw said:

Getting #40, #43 #53 and #6 playoff experience is invaluable in building a winner.  More important than the assets sent the other way in this deal.

On that note...

#40 and #43 changed the plan. And that is why “buying” Toffoli became essential.

Edited by Me_
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Screw said:

Getting #40, #43 #53 and #6 playoff experience is invaluable in building a winner.  More important than the assets sent the other way in this deal.

sure but that's 1 less asset we have to use for trade bait when we are finally ready to make the push to try and win the cup. or use it to get rid of contracts so we have a better chance of competing.. 

as for Toffoli.. i would consider moving pearson in the offseason in to free up the space to sign toffoli depending on how he mesh in the top line down the stretch.. i mean tanev is more likely than not gone in the off season if not traded at the deadline.. he's gonna look to cash in on his contract and we likely can't afford him. so we can use the space between tanev and pearson to sign markstrom + toffoli if toffoli works out

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

sure but that's 1 less asset we have to use for trade bait when we are finally ready to make the push to try and win the cup. or use it to get rid of contracts so we have a better chance of competing.. 

as for Toffoli.. i would consider moving pearson in the offseason in to free up the space to sign toffoli depending on how he mesh in the top line down the stretch.. i mean tanev is more likely than not gone in the off season if not traded at the deadline.. he's gonna look to cash in on his contract and we likely can't afford him. so we can use the space between tanev and pearson to sign markstrom + toffoli if toffoli works out

Pearson is partly kind of the reason this worked out...

”It’s not secret we’re friends”

Would you trade Bieksa or Kesler in their peak?

The answer is obvious.

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Pearson is partly kind of the reason this worked out...

”It’s not secret we’re friends”

Would you trade Bieksa or Kesler in their peak?

The answer is obvious.

lol kesler requested and traded out of vancouver while he's was still in his peak.. Pearson was traded away by the kings to pittsburgh.. friendship doesn't mean anything.. he doesn't play with pearson nor whether or not he signs will be based on only if he's on the same team as pearson.. it's not like LA traded toffoli coz he requested to come to vancouver to play with pearson

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol kesler requested and traded out of vancouver while he's was still in his peak.. Pearson was traded away by the kings to pittsburgh.. friendship doesn't mean anything.. he doesn't play with pearson nor whether or not he signs will be based on only if he's on the same team as pearson.. it's not like LA traded toffoli coz he requested to come to vancouver to play with pearson

Oh God.

Glad you have a pulse on history. 

Sorry to interrupt. 

54 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Oh God.

Glad you have a pulse on history. 

Sorry to interrupt. 

i still fail to see how ur logic it partly worked coz of their friendship. is toffoli going to request pearson not to get traded if he's to re-sign with the canucks? or is he going to request another team to trade for pearson if he signs?? like what part of this trade have to do with pearson's friendship with toffoli? we got him because they are best friend?

• Upvote 1