The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

17 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Looks like Toffoli's wife is starting to tweet more positively towards Vancouver. Even said "solid first week". Good sign.

She didn't have to worry about making any "standard statements".

Again. 1.4% chance Toffoli doesn’t re-sign because his wife says so.

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Unfortunately, we just lost arguably our best player and the biggest reason we're in the hunt at all, which could end up rendering this acquisition moot. 

I hope one day Canucks fans can be as loud as Boston fans in their collective. Loud enough that the penalty doorman doesn’t hear the player knocking on the penalty door.

Unite, Canucks fans. There’s a chance in front of us.

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Unfortunately, we just lost arguably our best player and the biggest reason we're in the hunt at all, which could end up rendering this acquisition moot. 

Hindsite is 20/20, but with Leivo and Ferland done, and then Boeser, and now Markstrom. That's a lot of talent lost. I wonder if they shoud've just accepted the injury to Boeser, gave some opportunity to Rafferty, Lind, MacEwen, etc., kept Madden and the 2nd, had a good draft, and then next year really go for it. It'll be a terrible waste if they traded Madden and that 2nd and didn't make the playoffs. Toffoli will probably walk, and then what? No worthy draft picks, possibly no playoffs, oi oi oi.   

EDIT - I forgot, if they miss the playoffs this year, they'll keep their 1st, so that's positive. They'll only be missing the 2nd.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Like 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Nah.  He still makes us a better squad regardless of injuries.  Good trade. 

Obviously we're better with him than without him, but with Marky out for what looks to be pretty long term, it may not matter. Marky is the single biggest reason we're in the position we're in, and with him gone, there's a strong chance we don't even make the playoffs, and if we do miss, Toffoli is obviously much less likely to resign, at which point we've given up Madden and a 2nd for 23 games of Toffoli during a season in which we don't even make the playoffs. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Obviously we're better with him than without him, but with Marky out for what looks to be pretty long term, it may not matter. Marky is the single biggest reason we're in the position we're in, and with him gone, there's a strong chance we don't even make the playoffs, and if we do miss, Toffoli is obviously much less likely to resign, at which point we've given up Madden and a 2nd for 23 games of Toffoli during a season in which we don't even make the playoffs. 

You are probably correct about Markstrom but every other year or so you get a Matt Murray or Jordan Binnington who take over for whatever reason and cruise to a Cup win. I would love for this to happen but ain't holding my breath.

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

We had assets to give up.  I wouldn't sweat it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ok, that's one way to look at it. We could also look at the fact we are a better team with TT, and need all help we can get to keep our heads above water right now. Without Benning making that trade last week out playoff chances would be significantly less. Benning has been saying for months he wanted to add another top 6 forward, so he did just that.

Bottom line is, the goal this year was to make the playoffs. If you agree or disagree that this was correct course of action is irrelevant. That was Jim's plan from the summer when he traded for Miller, and that's been the plan all along.

We are in a rough spot right now, we all know that. But having TT on the team for the remainder of the year gives us a better chance of making the playoffs. I'm all in, playoffs baby.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Here’s a bucket bud.

Go ahead and cry your heart out.

It won’t change a thing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Agreed, but most teams don't have a Demko to fall back.  He knows how to carry a team in tough times......he's no stranger to that.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Ok, that's one way to look at it. We could also look at the fact we are a better team with TT, and need all help we can get to keep our heads above water right now. Without Benning making that trade last week out playoff chances would be significantly less. Benning has been saying for months he wanted to add another top 6 forward, so he did just that.

Bottom line is, the goal this year was to make the playoffs. If you agree or disagree that this was correct course of action is irrelevant. That was Jim's plan from the summer when he traded for Miller, and that's been the plan all along.

We are in a rough spot right now, we all know that. But having TT on the team for the remainder of the year gives us a better chance of making the playoffs. I'm all in, playoffs baby.

The beautiful thing about the Miller deal was that the conditional 1st gave us a one year buffer top sort things out if it went wrong this year. Miller was also signed long term at a reasonable cap hit. It was a move for now, but also a move for the future, and I'll defend it every single time. 

This trade didn't come with the same type of assurances. Not even close. As far as Miller goes, if we fail to make the playoffs this year, the pick falls to next year, and even if we fail to make the playoffs the year after and lose a high pick, we still have Miller signed for two more years. We still have the asset. 

Right from the get-go the Toffoli deal was a huge risk, and was pretty much completely dependent on the idea that we would be able to sell Toffoli on the idea of signing in Vancouver after this season wrapped up. If we miss the playoffs, which is a huge possibility with our ace goalie out, Toffoli has much less initiative to resign, and we end up with nothing for our troubles. 

You can say that whether or not I agree that this was the course is irrelevant, but that doesn't mean for a second that it should be free from criticism and it doesn't mean for a second that, if all goes bad, it shouldn't be a stain on Benning's record as a GM. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed, but most teams don't have a Demko to fall back.  He knows how to carry a team in tough times......he's no stranger to that.

I hope to god you're right. If nothing else, this could go a long ways towards putting our "goalie controversy" to rest one way or another. 

2 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I don't think this trade would have been possible if we drafted Jake Wise like sports media said we should of... 

So i guess what I'm trying to say is suck it sports media!!!

Jake Wise. Can you imagine if our Sports Media were to select the prospects? HAHAHAHA

I can imagine Ian McIntyre making a pick "The Canucks select with their 37th overall pick, from Boston College, Jake Wise" 

Ian would have been fired shortly after. Shortest stint as GM :lol:

I'm glad we got Benning. Let the professionals do their jobs. 

a 1st rounder for ? Barclay Goodrow 

a 1st 2nd and a 3rd for Jean-Gabriel Pageau whois literally been a 3rd line player his entire career, I am not kidding, sure Islanders locked him up, but Benning is looking real good now with the JT Miller trade, if you look around at the trades that involved a 1st rounder.

add to the fact he didn't even give up a 1st rounder for Toffoli, 

win. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Oilers were without their best player, McJesus for quite some time and made it through. I hope our players are mentally strong enough to get through this.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Right from the get-go the Toffoli deal was a huge risk, and was pretty much completely dependent on the idea that we would be able to sell Toffoli on the idea of signing in Vancouver after this season wrapped up. If we miss the playoffs, which is a huge possibility with our ace goalie out, Toffoli has much less initiative to resign, and we end up with nothing for our troubles. 

I’m pretty much okay with this trade no matter what.... if we miss the playoffs this year our team crapped the bed.  TT was a good add.