The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Toffoli would have easily fetched a 1st today.

Benning was smart to get the deal done  a week before.

I’d rather have Madden than a first round pick in the 15-31 range. I’m sure LA thinks the same. Bidding war probably would have taken the overall price tag up but Maddens value is definitely that of a 1rst round pick.

https://www.tsn.ca/russian-players-dominate-top-spots-in-tsn-s-ranking-of-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.1424251

Number 40 on Buttons list for already drafted prospects to start this year. With the year he’s had I’m sure he’s climbed higher.

Edited by flickyoursedin
  • Wat 3

4 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I’d rather have Madden than a first round pick in the 15-30 range. I’m sure LA thinks the same. Bidding war probably would have taken the overall price tag up but Maddens value is definitely that of a 1rst round pick.

Looking at the 2018 draft, there are several players in the 15-30 range that I'd much rather have over Madden (eg Bokk, Veleno, Denisenko, etc). Madden has probably risen his stock, but I don't see 1st round value. He will need to add to his 150lb frame before he gets consideration.

Most people are calling this a deep draft, so the talent being pushed into the 15-30 range could still be very decent players.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The beautiful thing about the Miller deal was that the conditional 1st gave us a one year buffer top sort things out if it went wrong this year. Miller was also signed long term at a reasonable cap hit. It was a move for now, but also a move for the future, and I'll defend it every single time. 

This trade didn't come with the same type of assurances. Not even close. As far as Miller goes, if we fail to make the playoffs this year, the pick falls to next year, and even if we fail to make the playoffs the year after and lose a high pick, we still have Miller signed for two more years. We still have the asset. 

Right from the get-go the Toffoli deal was a huge risk, and was pretty much completely dependent on the idea that we would be able to sell Toffoli on the idea of signing in Vancouver after this season wrapped up. If we miss the playoffs, which is a huge possibility with our ace goalie out, Toffoli has much less initiative to resign, and we end up with nothing for our troubles. 

You can say that whether or not I agree that this was the course is irrelevant, but that doesn't mean for a second that it should be free from criticism and it doesn't mean for a second that, if all goes bad, it shouldn't be a stain on Benning's record as a GM. 

So JB knowing that Boeser is likely out for the season, you would rather him not trade for Toffoli???

He made the trade to get help for the team to make the playoffs.  Unless you think Schaller could have stepped up and replace Boeser's production. 

Edited by BPA
Spelling errors

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Looking at the 2018 draft, there are several players in the 15-30 range that I'd much rather have over Madden (eg Bokk, Veleno, Denisenko, etc). Madden has probably risen his stock, but I don't see 1st round value. He will need to add to his 150lb frame before he gets consideration.

Most people are calling this a deep draft, so the talent being pushed into the 15-30 range could still be very decent players.

I agree with you that there are a few guys in that range I’d rather have over Madden but there’s more guys in those picks where I’d choose Madden. There’s bust potential with every prospect. With where those two 1rst round picks will be around 20-31 I’d rather take my chance on Madden. Kid has trended up every year. Feels like less risk to me. Also he won’t play his career at 150 pounds I’m sure he’ll fill out lol the kid is 20 years old. I’m sure I’m not the only one that would value Tyler Madden as high as a 1rst round pick. Clearly LA themselves did otherwise they wouldn’t have made this deal because they could have easily gotten a 1rst from another playoff team.

Edited by flickyoursedin

23 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

There’s bust potential with every prospect. With where those two 1rst round picks will be around 20-31 I’d rather take my chance on Madden. Kid has trended up every year. Feels like less risk to me. Also he won’t play his career at 150 pounds I’m sure he’ll fill out lol the kid is 20 years old. I’m sure I’m not the only one that would value Tyler Madden as high as a 1rst round pick. Clearly LA themselves did otherwise they wouldn’t have made this deal because they could have easily gotten a 1rst from another playoff team.

That bust potential is still there for Madden. The assumption is that he will fill out, but that remains to be seen. No way someone values him as "first round" until he does. LA certainly views him highly, but perhaps they didn't know what the market would be like at the TDL and they took the best offer rather than waiting. It's hindsight now to know the crazy valuations teams were making.

Perhaps you're not the only one that might think Madden is "first round" material (I suspect majority are the people that have been opposed to many of the moves that Benning makes), but certainly there's a lot of people that would rather have a 1st round pick instead if they had the choice.

15 hours ago, theo5789 said:

That bust potential is still there for Madden. The assumption is that he will fill out, but that remains to be seen. No way someone values him as "first round" until he does. LA certainly views him highly, but perhaps they didn't know what the market would be like at the TDL and they took the best offer rather than waiting. It's hindsight now to know the crazy valuations teams were making.

Perhaps you're not the only one that might think Madden is "first round" material (I suspect majority are the people that have been opposed to many of the moves that Benning makes), but certainly there's a lot of people that would rather have a 1st round pick instead if they had the choice.

Madden can fill out all he wants, he’s 150lbs. How much will he fill out? 20lbs at most? It’s still around 20lbs short of necessary to be strong on the puck.

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Madden can fill out all he wants, he’s 150lbs. How much will he fill out? 20lbs at most? It’s still around 20lbs short of necessary to be strong on the puck.

According to Capfriendly...

He's 20yr old, 5'11" and 150lbs.

Probably will add 20lbs at most (like you said).  So 170lbs.  He would have to be strong on his skates and shifty (like Johnny Gaudreau and Mitch Marner) or become a role player (like Motte ..but Motte is already at 195lbs) to make in the NHL.

Success in NCAA or AHL doesn't always translate to success in the NHL.

• Cheers 2

I am loving this trade. In fairness it is hard not to with the hot start Toffoli has had. When Boeser is back at the playoffs the Canucks have 6 top 6 forwards for the first time in a long time. Solid 3rd line, and checking 4th line. They have their puck moving difference making defender in Hughes, and while they could definitely improve their overall D, they don't really have a super weak player back their as Fantenberg has been playing well. With Markstrom playing at an elite level (hopefully he returns in form) and a solid backup in Demko, our G is set. 

Will they be favorites in the playoffs? No. Can they get hot and take out some teams and get us hopeful? Absolutely. 

Hopefully they can ship out some bad contracts in the offseason and re-sign Tanev, Markstrom and Taffoli to bring back this team for next year.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:14 PM, theo5789 said:

There's no such thing as a 3rd round bust, either. To bust is to imply lofty expectations were set pre-selection—which is customarily reserved for high picks. The smurf can only exceed the off-chance at this point, which is rather unlikely.

Edited by DawnDucky
  • Cheers 1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:43 PM, BPA said:

So JB knowing that Boeser is likely out for the season, you would rather him not trade for Toffoli???

He made the trade to get help for the team to make the playoffs.  Unless you think Schaller could have stepped up and replace Boeser's production. 

This was a great message to the team to state we are in it for the playoffs. 

I love the move. 

On 2/25/2020 at 2:13 PM, Me_ said:

People said the same thing about Pettersson. Just saying...........

On 2/24/2020 at 9:39 PM, theo5789 said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:13 PM, Me_ said:

The NHL is not what it used to be. If he can fill out at 170-180, he has a shot. You got players like Krug, Hughes, Ehlers, Marchand, Yamamoto, Kane, Gaudreau, etc proving that the league has a niche for speed and skill. 

No point in putting down Madden at this point. We need to wait a few years and see how he develops. 

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

The NHL is not what it used to be. If he can fill out at 170-180, he has a shot. You got players like Krug, Hughes, Ehlers, Marchand, Yamamoto, Kane, Gaudreau, etc proving that the league has a niche for speed and skill. 

No point in putting down Madden at this point. We need to wait a few years and see how he develops. 

No point in even talking about Madden anymore as he is no longer Canucks property.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Madden is a craperolla bustaroo bonsai.  Glad he’s gone.  

Anyone still arguing this trade has to give their head a shake. A 150lbs minor leaguer and a salary dump for a top flight first liner.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Anyone still arguing this trade has to give their head a shake. A 150lbs minor leaguer and a salary dump for a top flight first liner.

But like, if Toffoli doesn't sign, this trade is not worth it! The 2nd rounder could be Malkin 2.0! madden is basically Messier.

• Haha 2
  • Wat 1