The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

17 hours ago, guntrix said:

Putting down a player we previously thought was a good prospect just so one can convince himself that JB pulled a rabbit out of his hat reeks of impatience. Don't understand CDC's need to immediately come to a conclusion on trades that involve high picks and decent prospects.

Most importantly, we need to see whether we can sign Toffoli. I don't buy the "we can still win this trade even if Toffoli ends up being a quarter-season + bit of playoffs rental" angle. 

To be fair, we do win this trade if Toffoli helps us get into the playoffs and Madden either doesn't make the NHL or plays a very bottom 6 role which can be covered by the plethora of league minimum UFAs

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  This is actually what I’m hoping JB has planned.  There will be at least two teams, who make the playoffs this spring, that will want to improve their goaltending.  The would love to make that improvement, and get a guy who comes on a cheap contract too.  

Louis Domingue

13 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

To be fair, we do win this trade if Toffoli helps us get into the playoffs and Madden either doesn't make the NHL or plays a very bottom 6 role which can be covered by the plethora of league minimum UFAs

I like how the 2 major trades GMJB made this past year resulted in chaos on CDC... only to see that when the dust settles, GMJB has done an amazing job on the trades. 

Adding 2 legit and hard-nosed top 6 forwards in a span of a year is pretty awesome.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

I like how the 2 major trades GMJB made this past year resulted in chaos on CDC... only to see that when the dust settles, GMJB has done an amazing job on the trades. 

Adding 2 legit and hard-nosed top 6 forwards in a span of a year is pretty awesome.

listen ..

and to be faiiirrrrr

we are all qualified armchair gms on these boards

and entitled to equal say as jb on these matters

because that is what the internet is all about

qualifications and expertise do not matter

we all can be real gms in real life

but we choose not to

and prefer to work at our own current lower paying jobs

otherwise the nucks would be paying us the big bucks instead of paying jb

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

On 2/26/2020 at 9:30 PM, Me_ said:

All good bud.

Benning said he’d try to recoup the picks in time for the draft.

OTT with three 1sts

NJD with three 1sts

ANA with two 1sts

MIN with two 1sts

NYR with two 1sts

Something to be done there.
Boeser? Demko? Juolevi? Someone else?

Benning also said teams called about Bärtschi but couldn’t make it happen. He also said he’d try to trade him somewhere at or before the draft. With something for a 2nd?

I think Benning will get the picks back. 

Likely Demko because it's too risky with the expansion draft.  Juolevi would be on JB's list too I think despite it being too early to judge him yet.  BUT, I can't see JB parting with these guys unless LE's salary is heading in the other direction.  I'm a little shocked that JB couldn't dangle Juolevi and Baertschi for a first rounder and Demko and LE for another first rounder. 

Boeser - can't see him being traded.....too much of a connection with the city in his early career.  When he's fit, he's a game changer

• Cheers 2

I am sure it has been mentioned in the past 140 pages but I am not opposed to moving Brock for picks and prospects and re-signing Toffoli. I think Tyler brings way more to the top 6 - yes he is older but he brings a much tougher element to the 1st line along with JT and I also think Jake will find a role in the top 6.

2 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I am sure it has been mentioned in the past 140 pages but I am not opposed to moving Brock for picks and prospects and re-signing Toffoli. I think Tyler brings way more to the top 6 - yes he is older but he brings a much tougher element to the 1st line along with JT and I also think Jake will find a role in the top 6.

I think this would be short-sighted. Toffoli is going to get a contract that a team will possibly regret in a few years. He is performing very well now... ...as was Loui Eriksson in his final year before UFA. Toffoli is a bit younger than Eriksson was at that time, but he's still not far from a likely regression.

Boeser's had some health troubles, but he's young and his best years are still likely ahead of him. And despite his age he's produced more than Toffoli - even in his rookie season, before Pettersson was here.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

I think this would be short-sighted. Toffoli is going to get a contract that a team will possibly regret in a few years. He is performing very well now... ...as was Loui Eriksson in his final year before UFA. Toffoli is a bit younger than Eriksson was at that time, but he's still not far from a likely regression.

Boeser's had some health troubles, but he's young and his best years are still likely ahead of him. And despite his age he's produced more than Toffoli - even in his rookie season, before Pettersson was here.

I want you to be right, I really do.  My opinion is that Boeser has had two years since his injury and hasn't shown that he's the same player that he was in his rookie year.  
He will need at least 7.5 mil/season to be resigned (qualified) and unless he improves, he's playing like a 4-5 mil/season player.  
So I hope I'm wrong and that he comes back next season looking like his old self.  Who knows, maybe a fully healthy off-season will do wonders for him.  

On the subject of Toffoli, I really think that he will take a hometown discount and go back to LA.  You can tell in every interview that he loves LA and that his wife has her roots there already.  We'll see, I love the guy on our team though and hope we can resign him. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

he's playing like a 4-5 mil/season player.  

He has 45 points this year if he scored that in 82 games then this would be a valid statement. He has those 45 points in 56 games...

Adam Henrique has only broken 45 points twice in his career and gets 5.85, Bonino score over 45 once in his career and that was 7 years ago he hasn't put up 40 since he's paid 4.1, Backlund max has been 47 and is paid 5.35, Dubinsky, Brandon &^@#ing Sutter peak was a whopping 33 points and was signed like 5 years ago and he even get's paid 4.375 mil a year, Brock Nelson is a career 40-50 pointer and is paid 6 mil a year. Jean-Gabriel Pageau literally just signed a contract a week ago for a 5 mil 6 year contract and has never hit 45 points in a season and Boeser is at that in 56 games lol...

Brock Boeser has a higher career PPG than any of these guys have ever had in a season. By quite a bit too.

You're absolutely insane if you ever expect a 4-5 mil guy to put up above .8 PPG

4 hours ago, Kass said:

He has 45 points this year if he scored that in 82 games then this would be a valid statement. He has those 45 points in 56 games...

Adam Henrique has only broken 45 points twice in his career and gets 5.85, Bonino score over 45 once in his career and that was 7 years ago he hasn't put up 40 since he's paid 4.1, Backlund max has been 47 and is paid 5.35, Dubinsky, Brandon &^@#ing Sutter peak was a whopping 33 points and was signed like 5 years ago and he even get's paid 4.375 mil a year, Brock Nelson is a career 40-50 pointer and is paid 6 mil a year. Jean-Gabriel Pageau literally just signed a contract a week ago for a 5 mil 6 year contract and has never hit 45 points in a season and Boeser is at that in 56 games lol...

Brock Boeser has a higher career PPG than any of these guys have ever had in a season. By quite a bit too.

You're absolutely insane if you ever expect a 4-5 mil guy to put up above .8 PPG

JT Miller is at 5.25 and is twice the player that Brock is
Teravainen is getting 5.4 mil/year and outscored Brock last year and did so again this year in both totals and PPG 
Tatar is at 5.2 mil and is outscoring Brock 
Couturier and Brayden Schenn are both getting 5 mil/season and are scoring as much as Brock plus providing a physical dimension 
David Perron's at 4 mil/season 

Brian Rust is getting 3.5 mil/season (both outscoring Brock) 

I don't think I'm insane Kass, I think it's insane to expect to win a Stanley Cup one day when we're paying a guy 7.5 mil/season and he's not driving play.  Brock's a great poacher, but he's priced himself into an unreasonable bracket by holding out this summer.  

On 3/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, Kass said:

Staying healthy is also part of the equation.  Which Boeser has never been healthy for a full season (62gp, 69gp, 56gp).

My fear is that he will be like Salo and Tanev.  Not an if but a when will he be injured. 

A high PPG is great but put it into perspective that he's only going to play 60 games, then suddenly it doesn't look all that great.

Any who.....

Who was mad at Madden being dealt?

And i stated a few days later that Linus Karlsson would have a more successful professional hockey career.

Linus is looking pretty good now... 

Leading all U21 scorer's in his league

How's Madden been doing since the trade? 

Oh and how's Jonathan Dahlen and SJS doing?

D'ya think Dahlen ever comes over and contributes to the shart tank in San Josėėėėė?

64728.gif

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2

41 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Any who.....

Who was mad at Madden being dealt?

And i stated a few days later that Linus Karlsson would have a more successful professional hockey career.

Linus is looking pretty good now... 

Leading all U21 scorer's in his league

How's Madden been doing since the trade? 

Oh and how's Jonathan Dahlen and SJS doing?

D'ya think Dahlen ever comes over and contributes to the shart tank in San Josėėėėė?

64728.gif

Really?

So while they are prospects with us, better not slam them

As soon as they are gone slam them?

What happened to the, they are still young argument  to develop that we use for our players now?

Which ones on the farm are you secretly slamming now?

27 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Sick bro you used a two week sample size to prove that Karlsson is "doing better" and you don't even take in to account Maddens injury. Yeah real nice post.  4/10 

Madden's still a pretty good B prospect and I would definitely say he's a better prospect than Karlsson.

36 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Madden's still a pretty good B prospect and I would definitely say he's a better prospect than Karlsson.

It is amazing to me that the Toffoli trade happened February 17 and were still talking about the Great Madden as of 35 minutes ago.

That. is amazing.

Edited by Me_