The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

People were freaking out over the Miller trade which proved to be an amazing steal, and now it’s a similar song. Hasn’t  JB earned our trust? People scrutinize him for everything and most of the time they end up panicking over nothing. Can’t wait till the Negative Nancys are shut up once again. 

Good point but I want him drafting. He's dang good at that.

2 minutes ago, BlueDragon23 said:

People were freaking out over the Miller trade which proved to be an amazing steal, and now it’s a similar song. Hasn’t  JB earned our trust? People scrutinize him for everything and most of the time they end up panicking over nothing. Can’t wait till the Negative Nancys are shut up once again. 

How does this work for the cap going forward though? It seems like we just added a couple more million after Schiller left. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Madden is tiny,  he wants to play centre. Canucks are set with three excellent young centres.  I could definitely see those three things adding up to Madden staying in school to become  free agent. I’m sure the Kings spoke to him before this trade about opportunity in their lineup.  

His size and position have nothing to do with asset value though. Would you trade Demko and a 3rd for Wayne Simmonds because we’ve got Marky and Dipietro?

5 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

I’m in the ‘Overpayment’ camp simply because Toffoli is on an expiring deal. Is he a good addition? Yes. But giving up Madden and a 2nd for a rental on a team that honestly isn’t ready to make a serious run yet hurts. 

I’m wondering if maybe there’s something going on behind the scenes with Madden we’re unaware of, like he decided he didn’t want to come to Vancouver.

They just had him on the radio and he said he had considered turning pro but really hadn't thought about it much since he was focusing on the NCAA season.

Not sure how to feel about this one. I like the idea of Toffoli now but if we gave up what we gave up for a rental that just goes back to LA at the end of the season I might barf. The defense still needs to be upgraded before we are going anywhere, we already can't afford to pay the guys we already have next year. I can't get my head around this. If we trade out Sutter and Stecher for picks I will feel a lot better.

I really hope this doesn't mean Boeser's injury is worse than we've been told.

Edit** Of course it does..

Edited by FlyLow_

Just now, grandmaster said:

In summary, the trade is a top 6 good forward for a second, third and a 4th line roster player. As for rentals, this is pretty damn good. :towel:

And making trades like this is what teams that draft well can do.  Madden was a third round pick.  We got a lot for him, and we still have lots of good prospects left.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Ferland will likely retire there goes 3.5 mill

Ericksson will likely be bought out after his big bonus July 1 or retire so a big chunk of cap like 5 mill will come off the books then 

shcaller's 2 mill is gone now.

I think if we want, we will be able to re-sign Marky, Tanev and toffoli- I doubt tofolli gets more than a 1 mill raise.

Tanev same and Marky will get 6 mill per year or 6.25 so we are looking at an increase of under 5 mill to our cap and we will be able to move a lot of cap.

• Cheers 1