The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, Canucks Curse said:

I bet Canucks will keep this years first unless they go really far and then stagger the picks they have given up. Give up this year's second and next years first.Thats what I would do anyway, they will likely have. stronger team next year anyway, Petey, Brock, bo, Hughes all 1 year better. I think they will push hard to keep toffoli. I doubt he gets more than a 1 mill raise. 

IDK with cap if they make the playoffs the picks going to NJD.

We don't know what kind of team we're gonna have next FA and it's not that far away.

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

why the **** do we keep trading high picks?  This teams bread and butter has been drafting but now were trading all of our picks. and now prospects as well.

Makes a ton of sense.

This team isnt a cup caliber team yet.  Were not in a position to be trading picks.

Normally yes, I don’t like trading off high picks, but, we have got some pretty good picks in the system from the last few drafts, so that it’s not as big of a deal for this coming draft.   That’s the way I see it anyway.

5 minutes ago, Winter Soldier said:

Sick trade. Toffoli is legit and people were terrified that it was gonna be Simmonds. Picks outside the top five are overrated and Madden has nowhere to be with Petey, Bo and Gaud at center long term. People are assuming the worst about Toffoli being a rental and the best of a 2nd and Madden's potential. Much like the Miller trade.

Funny how that worked out.

Most people I've talked to, and the posts I've seen on here and Twitter, everyone seems to want Simmonds.

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

I bet Canucks will keep this years first unless they go really far and then stagger the picks they have given up. Give up this year's second and next years first.Thats what I would do anyway, they will likely have. stronger team next year anyway, Petey, Brock, bo, Hughes all 1 year better. I think they will push hard to keep toffoli. I doubt he gets more than a 1 mill raise. 

They dont have a choice, if they dont make the playoffs it then slides to next year.  If they make the playoffs then its this years 1st that they gave up for JT Miller.  

Can't say I'm a fan of this trade at all. Losing the 2nd when we're already gonna be short a 1st in one of the next two drafts really hurts, and Tyler Madden was one of our best prospects. If we were going to make a move like this, I'd much rather it had been for help on the blueline. 

edit: Maybe they're expecting Boeser to be out pretty long term?

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

over payment.  Really is.   Over payment.  this is a rental, and Toffoli will not sign here, since he will be looking at more money then what he makes now, and we can't afford to a sign a player like that, since we need to free up cap room to sign Hughes and Pettersson in about a little over 1 year from now.  

Maybe, but Toffoli isn't going to be as highly paid as you might think.  I'm surprised they targeted a fwd, but Bo needs a legit RW, so why not get a rw who has had good chemistry with Bo's lw?

It basically comes down to Madden and a 2nd for Toffoli........I'll take that deal and if he signs, all the better.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

The only way Vancouver keeps this years first is if they miss the playoffs, which would make this trade real bad.

I defended J.B. even though he is not perfect. This trade is an overpayment and redundant. This team is good enough to get into the playoffs and maybe even win the division without Toffoli.

I thought the long term plan is to let the veterans’ contracts expire and pay the young core players and introduce prospects into the lineup. This trade significantly deviates from this plan. 

This trade is an overpayment because we gave up at least 2 prospects, Madden and whoever we were gonna draft in the 2nd round. This is an overpayment for Toffoli, who I like and I hope is gonna have great chemistry on the second line with Pearson.

Toffoli better frigging resign long term at a bargain price and have a point per game season from now on!!!

3 minutes ago, billabong said:

Motte practices Saturday and now placed on LTIR and is forced to sit out the next 3 weeks?

i got that right? 

Not allowed to keep healthy players on IR/LTIR.  He was most likely placed on LTIR retroactively.  Once he is ready to return they have to send someone to Utica to create the necessary cap space.

• Thanks 1

Just now, stawns said:

Maybe, but Toffoli isn't going to be as highly paid as you might think.  I'm surprised they targeted a fwd, but Bo needs a legit RW, so why not get a rw who has had good chemistry with Bo's lw?

It basically comes down to Madden and a 2nd for Toffoli........I'll take that deal and if he signs, all the better.  

Bess is done; that’s why Tofoli.  JB doesn’t make this move if Bess is healthy.  

• Cheers 2

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Can't say I'm a fan of this trade at all. Losing the 2nd when we're already gonna be short a 1st in one of the next two drafts really hurts, and Tyler Madden was one of our best prospects. If we were going to make a move like this, I'd much rather it had been for help on the blueline. 

I think they are trying to fill a hole up front .. they are in a dog fight for playoffs without bb for at least three weeks.  I too would have rather spent the assets on fixing the blue line.