The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, shiznak said:

Odd man out.

I don’t see Green sitting out Motte, Beagle, Eriksson, or Sutter for Gaudette, down the stretch when we’re competing for a playoff spots.

I don't see Sutter or Eriksson deserving a spot over Gauds.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sutter gets moved before the deadline.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

1. To get someone good, you have to give someone good up. 

2. Benning is going all in, he knows he has to make the playoffs...

...and really, the Canucks could do damage this year.  The west sucks right now. 

When you trade your 1st & 2nd round pick (plus prospects), the rebuild is over. 

Sound like everyone did about Pettersson (and every other tiny player that has success nowadays). 

Mikael Samuelsson had 30 goals one year.  He doesn't count? 

The rebuild isn’t finished though.  That’s the concern.  JB says it is, and is making moves (since the Miller trade) like it is.  IMO he’s wrong.  We are two young top players away from having a completed core.  It’s too soon to be giving up picks and prospects,  JB is tweaking the team, and it’s too soon for that.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

I defended J.B. even though he is not perfect. This trade is an overpayment and redundant. This team is good enough to get into the playoffs and maybe even win the division without Toffoli.

I thought the long term plan is to let the veterans’ contracts expire and pay the young core players and introduce prospects into the lineup. This trade significantly deviates from this plan. 

This trade is an overpayment because we gave up at least 2 prospects, Madden and whoever we were gonna draft in the 2nd round. This is an overpayment for Toffoli, who I like and I hope is gonna have great chemistry on the second line with Pearson.

Toffoli better frigging resign long term at a bargain price and have a point per game season from now on!!!

How is it redundant? They needed a top-6 forward to play. Toffoli is a solid upgrade over Eriksson/Virtanen to play  with Horvat.

The long term plan has always been to build a young core and insulate then with veterans. Bending has been doing this since 2014 when he first took over.

Losing Madden will sting but losing the conditional 1st for Miller also hurt. Difference is Miller has played well and Toffoli moving to a playoff contender and play with chemistry with Pearson is a smart bet that he will well too.

Just now, stawns said:

I'm betting there was talk with TT's agent before the deal was made.  I don't think they'd give up.a 2nd and Madden if it was a pure rental.  Even if it is, I think it's very important to get this group into the post season this year.......they need playoff experience.  With so many young superstars, the clock is ticking on their window.

Playoffs will bring out the best in Horvat and Jake.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

I don't see Sutter or Eriksson deserving a spot over Gauds.

Wouldn't be surprised if Sutter gets moved before the deadline.

Please let this happen.  Sutter out and toughness in would be wonderful,  JB won’t do that though.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

You honestly think Pearson is top six?

in the Pacific maybe, nowhere else 

he runs hot and cold and his position raking is below average 

I like him, as a 3rd or 4th line guy 

Can't argue with his stats since he's been here.

53 points in 78 games.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Westcoasting said:

yep and then took them into a losing team right quickly!

Team was already on the downfall after that LA series. Gillis wanted to rebuild, ownership didn't. 

Anyways enough with the Gillis talk, focus on the trade.

• Like 1