The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

10 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Why would we be selling? We're in playoff position and 5 points out of the Western Conference lead. Selling would just set us back further and likely guarantee the 1st we gave up for Miller would be a lottery pick either this year or next year.

People seem to forget that the price we paid for Miller goes down the better we perform this year or next year. Benning has clearly chosen to hedge his bets and make sure its this year. Benning has put together a solid team for us and once Boeser returns healthy, we'll have a fantastic forward group and goalie with some help needed on the back end.

Excellent point

Taken from  our prospects section. see quote below. 

One of our lesser talked about picks is lighting it up.  Same build, same position as Madden.

when you draft well you got a bunch of guys you can use as currency.  

that said I still think this is a move to fill Top 6 in Brocks absence .  It’s a dog fight for the playoffs and JB is doing what he can to get us there( agree with it it not) 

Arvid Costmar has been on fire in the SuperElit league. Since our last update, he has played in two games and scored three goals and two assists in that time. He is now up to twenty-one goals and twenty assists in twenty-four games with Linkoping HC J20 and has eleven more points than the second leading scorer on his team despite player 12 fewer games. His 1.71 points per game is tied for the best point-per-game rate in the SuperElit."

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

haha well odds are we lose in the first two rounds and Tyler signs elsewhere.

I dont think Benning makes this trade unless he thinks he can re -sign Toffoli. A rental makes no sense for this team, it's not like we have a cup window thats closing or we are favored to make a deep run.

• Upvote 1

If Toffoli re-signs here then this is a very fair deal. He will look great with Pearson and Bo. He had good chemistry with Pearson in LA. Always played well against us. Really rounds out our Top 6. 

That being said, if Toffoli DOES NOT re-sign here, then this is a pricey Rental. Only time will tell.

Excited to see Toffoli in the lineup though! I’m going to trust JB on this one until I have reason not to. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mean, it's entirely possible though. Jim is banking on both the team and Toffoli in a huge way, and judging by how we've been playing lately, ehhhhh......

Also, how does this affect our cap crunch? We're kind of banking on prospects like Madden to step in and contribute on entry level deals to help alleviate some of the pressure. Assuming we do resign Toffoli, that's one more big salary on the books and one less prospect that will be able to step in and fill a spot on an entry level deal. 

Madden wouldn't be on our team for 3+ years. No way he gets a top 6 spot till he ups his weight and Hog/Pod are ahead of him. He definitely isn't meant for a bottom 6 role, especially since we need tougher players there and Guad already has the confidence of the organization at 3rd C.

He would have the toughest of times cracking our roster out arguable out of any forward. 

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The rebuild isn’t finished though.  That’s the concern.  JB says it is, and is making moves (since the Miller trade) like it is.  IMO he’s wrong.  We are two young top players away from having a completed core.  It’s too soon to be giving up picks and prospects,  JB is tweaking the team, and it’s too soon for that.  

Should the rebuild be over is a different discussion than if it's over.  Really, Benning had to make the playoffs to keep his job.  Even before the season started people were worried about selling the future to save his job.  

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

wasn't he a free agent? im not too sure but youre right. 

I think he was.  What does that matter.  The comment was that that Gillis couldn't add a top 6 forward.  

1 hour ago, Canucks Curse said:

would have preferred to give up Juolevi or woo

Ewwww

Canucks need MORE D Prospects, trading them is not an option.

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

we got softer not tougher 

needed Simmons 

Wrong, schaller was like a fart in the wind after eating escargot and filet mignon. Expensive and over rated.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Madden's got speed & IQ. In a vaccum I think he's got more upside than Gaudette.

I like Toffoli as a player, and a fit despite his down year. If he re-signs then its good, if not... then its not a good move. Toffoli isn't pushing this team any closer to serious contention.

Adding a 2nd line winger for a 2nd and madden and cap of schaller is a WIN, if toffoli re signs it's a HOMERUN!

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol horrible trade if we dont re sign him... hes a bloody rental... and we ain't winning a cup this year?? We can make the playoff with what we have..

Look what BLAKE COEMAN cost tampa bay.

Toffoli is better.and cost much less.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

*Now

Good deal if he re-signs. Not the time to be going 'all in' for a rental. 

This team has cap concerns, you need young prospects coming up that can contribute on the cheap. Madden was on that track. 

Madden as a checking center would fail and he would likely be hurt most of the tip with that tiny frame of his.

59 minutes ago, sassbs said:

These comments it’s like miller trade deja vu all over again 

Sassbs, buy me a drink ?:wub:

58 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

It’s not always about winning the Stanley Cup right away, but part of it is learning to win in the playoff.   Think Tyfoli helps us potentially going further in the playoffs, whether we keep him or not.

But as always no guarantee we make it past the first,  still i think it’s a good investment in potential playoff experience.

Madden likely wouldn't have bumped any C out of the top 3.

He's not pushing Virtanen Boeser Hogz or podz out. Nor pearson or Miller.

58 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

In terms of hits, he's about smack dab average on the Kings. Not soft, but not Tyler Motte either.

The thing with toffoli that i like is that he has a bit of a loose wire sometimes, see his hit in burrows from behind? The dragon slayer was always a burr to the queens..

57 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Pearson is not a top 6 guy 

Are you drunk?

55 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I dont really understand the need to load this team up with tweener after tweener. People act like the quarter season Schaller had at 500k of cap remaining was some huge weight lifted off this team's shoulders. He coulda been buried in the minors and had a negligible impact for the remainder of his contract.

That's funny that you commented about tweeners and having enough of them.

Who did you derive your name from? A fan favorite heart and soul agitator, aka a tweener when not playing with HOF players like the Sedins!

53 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You just lost a lot credit there. 50 point guys are top 6 forwards on every team in the league 

Thanks Devron!

52 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How does losing $1.9 = $4.6? 

Something else going on? 

Leivo 1.5

Motte 975k

Graovac 700k

= 3.175 on LTIR

Schaller 1.9

For toffoli @ 4.6m

Plus Ferland on LTIR 3.5?

50 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Toffoli averages between 16-20 minutes per game, has 165 shots, 7 power play points, BUT only 33 hits. I'm suspecting his numbers will be better with the Canucks and caliber of our core and youth. 

Good acquisition but overpaid slightly. Should have been prospect and roster player or pick & roster ... not prospect, pick AND player. 

But I can live with this. Makes us better. Love his play. 

I disagree, see my above comments. On Blake Coleman, available players for the top 6, where madden could have fit etc 

48 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Toffoli for a second rounder was the price 

only Reider will go for a first rounder 

I am also glad it was hogs or podz as the prospect 

I don’t mind it but like I say JB needs to get us  some muscle 

Are you still drunk ?

44 minutes ago, Darius said:

A couple angles im thinking of

1. They getting a top 6 winger coz brock will be out longer than expected?

2.  If Gaud and Petey are two of the top 3 centres going forward they need more beef down the middle.  Don’t think it was in the cards for 155lb madden at Center. 

Either way the Canucks needed a 2nd line RW for Horvat.

I've discussed this before and I desperately wanted Alex Tuch... so he could touch me:ph34r:

Not mad about toffoli or the low price for him, just wanted more size in the to 6.

41 minutes ago, ftmN said:

I don't like this deal for the simple fact that we are selling futures for a rental, in a time where we aren't really in the position to do so.

If Tyler buys us a second round appearance and then doesn't resign, is that a good deal? Perhaps. If I were Tyler I would be going to free agency this year, unsure what reason he would have to resign with us, it seems unlikely but I definitely hope it happens. 

No one says he is a rental. 

As of now he is a canuck and hopefully GMJB asked toffoli if he would re sign in Vancouver before the trade was made.

40 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

we need another right winger??  Is Boeser's injury worse than expected?

We've always needed another winger for Horvat.

40 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Toffoli

Good top 6 when everyone is healthy

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Toffoli 

Ferland Gaudette Virtanen

Roussell Beagle Sutter 

:metal:

Leivo motter Eriksson 

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did we get tougher though? 

Tougher because Schaller was a non factor.

And definitely harder to play against Vancouver now.

38 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

Thats tampering 

Not if GMJB asked if he could speak with toffoli before the deal was made.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Darius said:

Taken from  our prospects section. see quote below. 

One of our lesser talked about picks is lighting it up.  Same build, same position as Madden.

when you draft well you got a bunch of guys you can use as currency.  

that said I still think this is a move to fill Top 6 in Brocks absence .  It’s a dog fight for the playoffs and JB is doing what he can to get us there( agree with it it not) 

Arvid Costmar has been on fire in the SuperElit league. Since our last update, he has played in two games and scored three goals and two assists in that time. He is now up to twenty-one goals and twenty assists in twenty-four games with Linkoping HC J20 and has eleven more points than the second leading scorer on his team despite player 12 fewer games. His 1.71 points per game is tied for the best point-per-game rate in the SuperElit."

How do we continue to do it. 5 years ago we didn’t have any prospects lighting it up

52 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

From wiki

"In the 2014–15 season, Toffoli played a majority of the season with Jeff Carter and Tanner Pearson with the line being dubbed "That 70s Line" since all three had numbers in the 70s."

They won cup in 2014.

D9C8A2B0-70DE-4400-B969-FEEAE2E8A9CF.jpeg