The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Seems like a decent trade.

The Canucks need more depth in their top 6 to be able to go anywhere in the playoffs and Toffoli is a good player.

Madden is a good prospect but he is in a lower tier of prospects and is questionable to make the NHL.

Glad to see Jim pull the trigger on this one. 

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

This team needs playoff experience. I’d rather get knocked out first round at this point than get a 6-10th pick. Look how long it took the capitals to win the cup. All those second round exits payed off. 

Yes playoff experience is good but overrated look at the leafs always getting beat in the first round also hasnt helped the flames who got beat hard after having the best record for that franchise.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, The.Burrowers said:

and doesn't mean we couldn't have used him as a trade chip in a more practical deal for the future of this team.....

I don't get why you don't think TT can't be part of that future.  He's got a good buddy here, he gets to play with B and on what is becoming an offensively dominant team on the rise.  It's a beautiful city to boot.........why wouldn't he seriously think about staying?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am pretty sure Toffoli will succeed here as he'll get service from Horvat or Petey, 5 on 5 or on PP... and his chance of re-signing with us is pretty high since he's already good buds with Pearson!!

It really sucks for Ferland that he won't get to contribute rest of the season.... but it's also a blessing in disguise that having him on LTIR offered us an opportunity to add a scoring winger like Toffoli!!

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I think the Brockstar will be gone for a lot longer than 3 weeks. A broken rib cartilage does not sound like a minor injury. 

I like the trade on its own merits and love it when you consider our injury situation, even if it ends up being a rental. 

A good prospect but you have to give to get and there was no way he was passing anyone on our depth chart any time soon. 

No doubt... An injury in that area means he's sitting around. Hard to imagine any type of exercise. Should be back in form by April though? I'm admittedly very unfamiliar with this type of injury. 

28 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Perhaps Alf, but there's always the thought that a young core needs playoff experience to become competitive.  This addition may very well get them that experience and develop them into a competitive team in a shorter timeframe.

This is what the Blackhawks did.  I'm glad we're following this model.  Many here wanted us to follow a more methodical approach like the Jets model... Both have there pros and cons but in this day and age with the cap, we would be priced out of some of our most promising players just coming into their prime... Just like the Jets.  The time is now!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't see JB as the "lock em up for long term at high aav" kind of GM.  They'll both get deals structured like BB, just with more $, but not as much as people think. 

I think Petey might sign long term out of his ELC. Could get him cheaper if he did it sooner than later.

Defenseman never sign monster deals out of ELC unless you're Ottawa and he doesn't have rights anyway.

People happy with trade...……..

1. Benning.............................he made the Trade, and he has another snipper

2. Green...……………………see above

3. Bo...………………………..his RW is either Toffoli or Brock

4. Pettersson...………………Teams have to be way more honest, as there are 2 legit lines

5. Toffoli……………………….Back with best buds Tanner, and he is back in the playoff race

6. Schaller...………………….Probably doesn't have to do the dirty work, in LA

7. Macewen…………………..Doesn't have to beat out Schaller

8. Gaudette...………………...Doesn't see Madden over his shoulder

9. Madden...…………………..Gets a team with no real young centers (maybe 1)

10 Pearson...…………………Back with his buds Tyler

Who is not happy with this trade

1. Jake...……………………….he just fell back down the depth chart

2. Canucks accounting dept....self explanatory 

3. Edmonton, Calgary, etc,, etc., etc......

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1