The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

I'm fine with it, Madden wasn't going to supplant hockey Gaud as our third line center. If he'd gotten to the bigs with us it'd have likely been as a winger. We've got other good forward prospects, trading him and a 2nd isn't the end of the world. If Toffoli resigns we won't care about a 4th round pick. 

Gotta give to get, and with Boeser out for a good while and Ferland done for the season we needed some help up front. Sooner or later we've gotta make the playoffs and get these guys some experience, may as well be this season. I'd rather do this than some of the deals I've seen proposed for Simmonds. There's always risk involved when making trades, but putting Toffoli with Pearson and Bo sounds good to me. 

Be interesting to see how we juggle our cap if the intent is to re-sign Toffoli, and considering they tacked on the potential 4th rounder I imagine that's the plan. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Hogs & Podz said:

This is what the Blackhawks did.  I'm glad we're following this model.  Many here wanted us to follow a more methodical approach like the Jets model... Both have there pros and cons but in this day and age with the cap, we would be priced out of some of our most promising players just coming into their prime... Just like the Jets.  The time is now!

If the time is now, why don’t we really go all in and get Gallant or Babcock to coach?  Is Green going to be our coach when we compete for a cup?  

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

People happy with trade...……..

1. Benning.............................he made the Trade, and he has another snipper

2. Green...……………………see above

3. Bo...………………………..his RW is either Toffoli or Bo

Bo is doing double duty on that line. 

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

4. Pettersson...………………Teams have to be way more honest, as there are 2 legit lines

5. Toffoli……………………….Back with best buds Tanner, and he is back in the playoff race

6. Schaller...………………….Probably doesn't have to do the dirty work, in LA

7. Macewen…………………..Doesn't have to beat out Schaller

8. Gaudette...………………...Doesn't see Madden over his shoulder

9. Madden...…………………..Gets a team with no real young centers (maybe 1)

10 Pearson...…………………Back with his buds Tyler

Who is not happy with this trade

1. Jake...……………………….he just fell back down the depth chart

2. Canucks accounting dept....self explanatory 

3. Edmonton, Calgary, etc,, etc., etc......

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:
42 minutes ago, samurai said:

Stay calm and enjoy the push for a playoff spot.  The canucks goal is the playoffs - its kind of like living day to day.

That's great, but I don't have to care about that goal. If we aren't able to re-sign the players we need to or Toffoli walks this is a disaster. First round exit or not. This team goes nowhere with this defense. If they were going to do something it should have been packaging Stecher for an upgrade on D

The playoff should not be "THE GOAL" they don't give out trophies for making the playoffs. The issue here is what this team will look like in two years now that it has no high picks next year or, if he is not finished, the year after. Pettersson and Hughes will be getting huge money on a team of 30+ year olds with no young support players. All the prospects from the last 7 years have not made a difference at least not picks after the first round with the exception of Gaudette.

Living day to day is okay for a regular person but teams need to or should plan ahead.

Next year Tofoli is a good chance he goes back home with his kids and plays with Madden:lol:.

Markstrom or Demko are gone.

Edler and Tanev, well they are older at the least.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't get why you don't think TT can't be part of that future.  He's got a good buddy here, he gets to play with B and on what is becoming an offensively dominant team on the rise.  It's a beautiful city to boot.........why wouldn't he seriously think about staying?

Admittedly, I was not a big fan of the JT trade when it happened......and I was wrong. I will own that. I am not so naive to think that I can not be wrong about this too.... I can't predict the future, I can only call a trade as I see it in real time. What made the JT trade so great was that he is locked up on a very reasonable deal for the foreseeable future.  There was team control. It was a gamble when JB made it, and it turned out great when it turned out we got an excellent player. TT, on an expiring contract, is the opposite of this situation. Team's pay a huge premium for team control. TT trade has no team control, and that is especially what I don't like that part of the trade. I don't see a scenario where he resigns on a bargain deal. I am willing to admit I could be wrong.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I think Petey might sign long term out of his ELC. Could get him cheaper if he did it sooner than later.

Defenseman never sign monster deals out of ELC unless you're Ottawa and he doesn't have rights anyway.

Petey might, but he's showing the effects of being a star, he's not going to light the league on fire in the next two seasons, so I think he gets a deal similar to Boes' in term, but around the $6-7m mark.

Hughes, might end up being the better, more expensive player of the two.

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

1. Benning.............................he made the Trade, and he has another snipper

4. Pettersson...………………Teams have to be way more honest, as there are 2 legit lines

5. Toffoli……………………….Back with best buds Tanner, and he is back in the playoff race

11. Primal Optimist!!!!!!:metal:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Violator said:

Yes playoff experience is good but overrated look at the leafs always getting beat in the first round also hasnt helped the flames who got beat hard after having the best record for that franchise.

Dude the leafs are a dumpster fire of a franchise. And the flames last year weren’t even supposed to make the playoffs. They have a young core as well and the inexperience killed them. But that’s how you learn. Ovi has been the best goal scorer in 2 decades and he didn’t win till he was 33. Team needs to learn how to play as a team and they are figuring it out. The playoffs would be the best thing for them because it’s a whole other level of intensity and we need to expose Petey and Hughes to those kinds of situation to refine their play, and play more responsibly. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Madden needs some time to physically mature.  Is he better off doing that in college or the AHL?  He’s exactly the body type that stays in school and becomes a UFA so he can both mature to a good weight and then pick the team where he’s going to get the best opportunity.  THere was no way he comes out early for us.  Where is the opportunity?  

/coughjordanshroeder

All props to Tyler Madden if he cracks a NHL lineup, but he's still a longshot IMO.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

I agree completely with this........... why do you think I'm choked about the trade? We should go thru a few rinse and repeat years before making these types of rental additions.

You, along with all the rest of us don't know if he's actually a rental. If Benning and the team can, they will try and re-sign Toffoli....you seem to think you know for sure this is a rental situation. Seeing as a rental for this team doesn't make much sense which I completely agree, my money is on re-signing him. I don't think Benning is done, I suspect he will dump some salaries wherever he can. We are against the cap yes, but teams fandangle their way around that all the time....God that Loui Eriksson contract is a pair of cement boots.....

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Toffoli

Ferland - Gaudette - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - MacEwen

when this team gets healthy, we're going to be a problem in the playoffs. :emot-parrot:

Love the line up but I think Ferlund is done. Can’t see him joining the team in the playoffs. There is a good chance he will never play again.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Tell me more about the accounting department haha. I wouldn't mind working there!

• Haha 1

Just now, NeilColville said:

Dude the leafs are a dumpster fire of a franchise. And the flames last year weren’t even supposed to make the playoffs. They have a young core as well and the inexperience killed them. But that’s how you learn. Ovi has been the best goal scorer in 2 decades and he didn’t win till he was 33. Team needs to learn how to play as a team and they are figuring it out. The playoffs would be the best thing for them because it’s a whole other level of intensity and we need to expose Petey and Hughes to those kinds of situation to refine their play, and play more responsibly. 

OV didn’t win until the Caps got the right coach.  We need the right coach 

• Haha 2
  • Huggy Bear 1