The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Canucks haven't won anything with Miller yet..... 

First round picks are precious ....

Yeah true, but first round picks aren't a sure thing either. . Let's be honest, most first round picks beyond the top 5-10 picks won't go on to be as productive as Miller (keeping in mind Miller himself was picked in the middle of the 1st round)- that's the reality of it. You always take a chance when trading a pick, but you are taking a chance when using that pick too. 

I'm on board.

I realize that many here feel we are rushing things but the truth is the West may never be as exposed and up for grabs as it is right now.

Also, guys like Sutter, Beagle and Motte are on the edge of their prime and we need depth  2 way guys for any kind of a serious playoff run. As much as I am excited and optimistic about the future, the truth is now might be as good a time as any. There is something to be said for the naivete of rookies in the playoffs.

Then there is Bo... He's due for a playoff appearance and needs it now as he enters his prime.

I still thing Jim goes after another defender.

We were on the verge of making a move for Simmonds. He would have cost a pick and a prospect as well. Toffolli is a massive step up in terms of ability and age. If we get him resigned we will get closer to the depth up front that I know most of us deep down know we are definitely in need of.

It's another pick...

It's Shalatov...

And it's a B level prospect...

Not bad at all for a solid player with a couple rings.

Welcome to Van Tyler!!!

• Like 1

Personally, I'm not a fan of this trade...

Don't get me wrong, I like the player and he's definitely a proven playoff warrior...but he's the type of player (rental) you add when your close to challenging for a cup. 

I would have preferred to keep our picks and rights to Madden and let our team learn how to play in a high pressure playoff series or two. 

I realize depth is luxury in the playoffs but based on Bennings draft history I think we're missing an opportunity to stockpile another good pick in a deep draft year. 

Those draft picks in the pipeline are going to come in handy in another couple years when we're truly contending. 

I concede this may be a moot point if the Canucks have a deep playoff run and gain invaluable playoff experience. 

• Cheers 1

There's a lot of bad trades happening this year at the deadline. Coleman, Toffoli, and Zucker shouldn't be getting these crazy returns. If players like Kreider also get dealt, I can't wait to see what the return will be.

Losing Tyler Madden stings, big time. 

If Toffoli doesn't re-sign, Benning should be canned. 

Edited by Darkstar
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Jake doesn't have to worry about anything until Boes' gets back and he was outplaying him, significantly, prior to BB getting hurt.  The only reason BB was back with Petey is because he was invisible with AG and Jake can drive that line.

Jake is way too inconsistent to remain a staple on the top 6.  Brock was prob playing hurt and he was still putting up better numbers on the top line. 

i think if Management thought Jake was an adequate replacement for brock they would have spent the assets on upgrading the d or toughness first.  

Jake is best suited on the third line with Gaud... for now... 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the time is now, why don’t we really go all in and get Gallant or Babcock to coach?  Is Green going to be our coach when we compete for a cup?  

Jury is still out on Green... We need to see how he manages in the playoffs before I judge him and his staff.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:
10 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

This is what the Blackhawks did.  I'm glad we're following this model.  Many here wanted us to follow a more methodical approach like the Jets model... Both have there pros and cons but in this day and age with the cap, we would be priced out of some of our most promising players just coming into their prime... Just like the Jets.  The time is now!

This is nothing like what the Blackhawks did, they re-tooled a Stanley Cup winner, I am afraid to tell you this ain't that team.

The Jet's model is so good they could lose 4 top 4 defensemen and still be in a playoff spot with more young players than the Canucks.

The Jets have millions in cap space to play with, the Canucks have 20 grand or so and that is with 6 or 7 guys on LTIR. A loop hole in the CBA.