The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s the timing of the Miller trade and this one.  They are both good trades, but it’s too soon to be giving up future assets for support players.  Our core isn’t ready yet to compete for a cup.  Those trades are gone when our core is ready.  

On many nights I've felt Miller may be our best player.

He's in his prime, youngish and still getting better and on n excellent contract with term.

That trade is a win in every possible way unless that pick turns into a top line, top power play, puck hounding, physical winger.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s the timing of the Miller trade and this one.  They are both good trades, but it’s too soon to be giving up future assets for support players.  Our core isn’t ready yet to compete for a cup.  Those trades are gone when our core is ready.  

I agree, you have a valid point - this is not complete enough of a team to start doing that. If he is somehow able to re-sign Toffoli with a reasonable cap hit then great he looks like a wizard. If not, then I'm not sure why this trade was made at all other than short term upgrade of our top 6. I will argue a top 6 player isn't really a support player, they are a major contributor, assuming that's where he'll play. He's capable of scoring 20-30 goals and has done so before. 

Edited by CJ44

Honestly didn't think we'd get Toffoli for anything resembling that price. Sucks losing Madden but Toffoli's a good player and compared to what TBL just paid NJD (for an arguably inferior player), that's a solid deal.

Particularly given Madden was likely going to have trouble cracking our top 3C spots too.

All while clearing Schaller too!

Now, hopefully Benning can pull a similar upgrade on D!

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

CDC: Bolts give a 1st, a solid prospect for Coleman?  He's never hit 40 points and he's 28.  What a bust of a trade wow.....

CDC:  The Isles gave the Devils a 2nd AND a prospect for Greene?  Holy overpayments the guys a 5-6 at best pffft

Also CDC:  Wait, we shuffled off Schallers contract coughed up Madden and a 2nd with a conditional 4th for Toffoli who's won 2 cups and plays a heavy game while having chemistry with Pearson after finding out Ferland might have to retire and Boeser is out for a minimum of 3 weeks?  JB just trying to save his arse, Madden is the real deal no doubt what a waste of a trade

Warhippy: shuffling off Schallers 2.1 million contract (last year remaining) was a huge coup. Waiving him and clearing $900k/2.1m from the books would not have been good enough!

People that can’t comprehend that a Center can also play wing is hilarious. The comments of Madden likely not being able to beat Horvat or Gaudette just don’t understand hockey. You guys do understand that JT Miller is a Center right? He hasn’t passed Pettersson or Horvat as a top 6 Center he takes draws but plays on Pettersson’s wing.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think you could not be more wrong about Virtanen.  He is quickly becoming a core player.

Not saying he isn’t a core player. He provides other elements the team needs

I’m thinking toffoli was brought here because Brock may be out for a long time.  They are saying three weeks till he is re evaluated let alone play again.

If Jake was the scoring answer for the top 6 in bbs absence, I doubt they would have gone after toffoli with other bigger holes to fill like the lack of toughness and a suspect bottom pairing D.

This move gives us insight into many things ... 1) they don’t trust Jake to fill that scoring need yet

2) I bet Brock is out for a while

3) they are likely gonna make more moves now that they are all in. 

just the way I see it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Lazurus said:

I agree Madden isn't a big deal rally, any picks are though.

I hope this trade has some part of next year in it, the additions of Miller and Toffoli strengthen the team but I hope Benning finds some way to continue the rebuild, the team needs more top draft picks.

Look at NJ, they started their rebuild two years ago and next year will have 5? first round picks on it with 10 or 12 prospects under 20. They will be set for 12 years. TO haters will hate anything TO but they have a lot of players that will be or could be with them for 10 years, the Canucks have 4?

Burked explained the pick thing this weekend, saying that each time you drop down, you are talking exponential loss in value, like 3x per tier. so a 4th is really worth 1/9th of a 2nd. and only a third of a 3rd.

Turning a guy thats unproven (TM) + 2nd into a proven playoff top 6 warrior, I am not sure how anyone can be upset at this?

I'm pretty sure that Benning's gonna lock him up too.

Surrounding bona fide superstar talent with proven winners, is how you win in this league.

Picks, especially deep picks, are over rated for the most part.

Oh, and chances are, we replace these picks with outgoing parts too.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I agree Madden isn't a big deal rally, any picks are though.

I hope this trade has some part of next year in it, the additions of Miller and Toffoli strengthen the team but I hope Benning finds some way to continue the rebuild, the team needs more top draft picks.

Look at NJ, they started their rebuild two years ago and next year will have 5? first round picks on it with 10 or 12 prospects under 20. They will be set for 12 years. TO haters will hate anything TO but they have a lot of players that will be or could be with them for 10 years, the Canucks have 4?

Sure but they have absolutely nothing to show for it and no guarantees.

They don't have Hughes.

They don't have Petey.

I'd take our guys over Jack and Nico any day of the week.

5 minutes ago, Freeridebc said:

For Benning to go into 2020 with no picks in the first 2 rounds is crazy. Something else going on we dont know. Honestly i wouldn't be shocked if Boeser was traded haha. As much hate as that will bring... 

Makes sense, at one time didn't Benning say something about getting back a 1rst but it would be expensive? And as good as the team was doing Brock was not contributing too much, family issues or his back and wrist surgeries, a lot of serious damage in so short a period of time, it might not be a bad idea if the team can get into the first round of this year's draft hopefully a top 20 pick. Would it not be crazy if they traded Boeser to NJ and got Van's 1rst back.:lol: