The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

I totally get that Madden "Could " become a top 6 player, but chances are slim, IMO

He is 150 lbs...……..Center is suppose to be a position of size in the NHL

We have Pettersson at 176 lbs, Gaudette at 170 lbs, and you expect Madden at 150 lbs, to dominate the NHL?

And it is too many light centers...…...he was not going to fit, not short term, nor long term

If we can sign Toffoli...……….fingers crossed...….we have this ……….in no particular order

Miller     -       Pettersson        -        Boeser

Pearson      -     Horvat          -        Toffoli

Hoglander    -   Gaudette       -        Podkolzin

Roussel      -       Motte         -         Virtanen 

Ferland       -     Beagle         -         Macewen  

Leivo          -      Graovac        -       Lind

Where is it that we are devastated by loosing Madden?

Edited by janisahockeynut

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:
9 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Miller is part of our young core. Without JT we are selling right now instead of buying and looking at another lottery pick...

Some of you are so used to losing every move involves the future and what ifs. Its time to make moves and turn the page and I am excited

Maybe 40 years ago and the very best players then not today, a player hits his peak around 26 to 28 yrs and besides the older they get the more expensive so the cap means getting young players unless he is one of the top 4 players on the team. That is what makes the draft so important.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Again with the Sutter critics.

That guy is worth every penny he's paid. 

Up and down the line up.

Arguably the most respected and vocal leader on the team.

Great penalty killer.

Wins tonnes of face offs.

Physical.

200 ft. player.

On and on.

Yeeaaah.

We are tight against the cap though... Hockey's a tough business that's for sure.

Just now, Grape said:

So a poster on Reddit proposed a Madden for Toffoli straight up deal 51 days ago, and got downvoted so much he deleted his topic.

Now majority think it was a fantastic trade despite having to give up even more assets. Toffoli is already one of my favorite players, but this is groupthink at its finest.

exactly..... the JB fan boys come out to play and nothing he does is wrong. I can only imagine what would have happened if someone had suggested trading Madden in his propsect thread last week

"thats not what great teams do, they develop" "he will grow into his size", "why dont we just try continuing to develop our prospects for a change....." ...etc.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree that moving to the wing would have been possible, but who's he going to beat out there?  Miller?  Boeser?  Virtanen?  Podz?  Hog?  Lind?  Motte?

Same thing you can say with all these guys mentioned. Which is why I’m pro draft who you think the best player available is. If all guys prove to be top 6 then flip 1 or 2 in a package for something you need.

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've been saying for awhile that Boes is the odd man out and would possibly be dealt at the draft.  This move only makes me think that is a much stronger possibility.

I was waiting for you to post this cause I was thinking the same thing if we retain TT. Boeser for a good D-Man like Dumba...

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Wow!!!!!!!! We have no first or second round pics , and probably just traded a hobey baker finalist ontop of this? Big time risk JB. Sure hope this works out .

You don't get a Toffoli for nothing.  Madden was a longshot, at best, and three years away from even the possibility of being in Van, imo.

• Cheers 3

Just now, Pickly said:

What are you talking about? He’s not even 27 yet and the Canucks will be entering that window as early as next year barring a few more moves. Miller drives the play on the first line more often than not and never takes a night off. He’s an integral part of the core moving forwards. Put the sauce down for the evening bro. 

Millers contract is over when our young core is mature enough to compete for a cup.  He’s a support player.  The trade like the one today are too early in this young core’s development.  JB is clearly giving in to pressure from our owner to make the playoffs, no matter the cost to our long term growth.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Vintage does Tofoli play tough at all?  I think JB is still doing more,  

With it being announced that #1, Ferland is done for the season, and #2, Boeser is done for at least another 3 weeks, we suddenly have a lot of LTIR to throw around than we thought a few hours ago.

Will be interesting to see how we spend it :)

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So he couldn’t be traded ahead of that timeframe?

Did it cost a boatload for the Oilers or Flames to move Lucic?

After acquiring Toffoli you now want to trade Tanev? In what world does that make sense?

DId the Oilers or Flames get cap relief from that trade? The answer is no. 

I can't believe you actually just asked those two questions. 

32 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

This is nothing like what the Blackhawks did, they re-tooled a Stanley Cup winner, I am afraid to tell you this ain't that team.

The Jet's model is so good they could lose 4 top 4 defensemen and still be in a playoff spot with more young players than the Canucks.

The Jets have millions in cap space to play with, the Canucks have 20 grand or so and that is with 6 or 7 guys on LTIR. A loop hole in the CBA.

The Jets are not in a playoff spot, 3 points out to date.

But they have one of the top 5 coaches in the league, love that guy!

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I totally get that Madden "Could " become a top 6 player, but chances are slim, IMO

We have Pettersson at 176 lbs, Gaudette at 170 lbs, and you expect Madden at 150 lbs, to dominate the NHL?

And it is too many light centers...…...he was not going to fit, not short term, nor long term

If we can sign him...……….fingers crossed...….we have this ……….in no particular order

This was the same thing that happen for years with the Canucks, draft picks were not going to crack the line up, the skill guys couldn't play the 3rd and 4th line roles and the rest were not going anywhere.

I want Greenway!

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

If we can sign him...……….fingers crossed...….we have this ……….in no particular order

I'm upset because we are about to get hammered by Vegas, with or without Toffoli.

In 2 years when we can actually compete we should have assets to trade like Madden and a 2nd.

I am also upset because Benning ROCKS at drafting. Get more picks.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

With it being announced that #1, Ferland is done for the season, and #2, Boeser is done for at least another 3 weeks, we suddenly have a lot of LTIR to throw around than we thought a few hours ago.

Will be interesting to see how we spend it :)

Signing Ferland was a massive mistake. The LTIR will come back to haunt the team.

• Wat 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

If we can sign Toffoli...……….fingers crossed...….we have this ……….in no particular order

lol but i thought every single one of our prospect juolevi and woo will be a top 2-4 defenseman hoglander podlokzin guranteed top 6 dipetro future starter etc etc so who are you to ssay madden chance are slim!!