The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

4 minutes ago, Grape said:

So a poster on Reddit proposed a Madden for Toffoli straight up deal 51 days ago, and got downvoted so much he deleted his topic.

Now majority think it was a fantastic trade despite having to give up even more assets. Toffoli is already one of my favorite players, but this is groupthink at its finest.

The Canucks could trade Quinn Hughes for Kreider and there would be some posters excited about the deal lol. 

I really hate the Kings. They have an insane prospect pool, and it's going to be scary playing against them in the next couple of years. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Maybe 40 years ago and the very best players then not today, a player hits his peak around 26 to 28 yrs and besides the older they get the more expensive so the cap means getting young players unless he is one of the top 4 players on the team. That is what makes the draft so important.

100% correct.  This young core deserved time to mature and then spend futures on getting top support players.  JB has wasted key assets he should have used in 2022.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

With it being announced that #1, Ferland is done for the season, and #2, Boeser is done for at least another 3 weeks, we suddenly have a lot of LTIR to throw around than we thought a few hours ago.

Will be interesting to see how we spend it :)

Is Ferland officially shut down?

• Huggy Bear 1

JB once again shows he cares more about retaining his job than he does about the long term health of our club.

Draft and develop is how we need to build our club....    Acquiring players as rentals or guys that are declining in skills  by trading picks is not a good long term strategy. 

If our club misses the playoffs this year... this is the kind of trade that could get JB fired....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Wat 4

Just now, Lazurus said:

Maybe 40 years ago and the very best players then not today, a player hits his peak around 26 to 28 yrs and besides the older they get the more expensive so the cap means getting young players unless he is one of the top 4 players on the team. That is what makes the draft so important.

Man alive. You cannot build a team sorely on draft picks because you turn out like the Edmonton Oilers. You NEED to make moves like this to build a winner. Every NHL team the last few years made trades like this to shore up their roster. The Blues traded for Ryan O’Reilly, the caps traded for TJ Oshie, etc. If the Canucks don’t trade for Miller, we are sitting in a lottery position for a 5th season in a row and potentially another 6th next year too. That’s becoming the Edmonton Oilers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Grape said:

So a poster on Reddit proposed a Madden for Toffoli straight up deal 51 days ago, and got downvoted so much he deleted his topic.

Now majority think it was a fantastic trade despite having to give up even more assets. Toffoli is already one of my favorite players, but this is groupthink at its finest.

I think giving up Madden could come back to bite us, but I also understand that Benning is sending another message to Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser, that he believes in them and that he will push everything to give them a chance to compete in the playoffs now.

Time will tell, but if ANYONE was questioning whether JB sees us as out of rebuild and into compete mode, the Miller trade and now this trade for Toffoli, tells us exactly where he thinks the team sits.

Will he try and find a way to bring in Dillion from San Jose as well?

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

JB once again shows he cares more about retaining his job than he does about the long term health of our club.

Draft and develop is how we need to build our club....    Acquiring players as rentals or guys that are declining in skills  by trading picks is not a good long term strategy. 

Miller trade whining all over again. Doesn't it get tiring being this negative and wrong all the time? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, shazzam said:

This all started with the Miller trade, heck or even Linden "stepping down". The team wants to make the playoffs at all cost. It's go time. I don't think JB is done. Still need to add toughness. Maybe a deal around Dillion for Stetcher plus prospect.

Life isn't as binary as you like to think it is.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

The Canucks could trade Quinn Hughes for Kreider and there would be some posters excited about the deal lol. 

I really hate the Kings. They have an insane prospect pool, and it's going to be scary playing against them in the next couple of years. 

already? seems like they haven't sucked long enough yet. They spent some many assets contending. Of course it payed off.

Interesting. I've seen some saying this is a bit early, and I agree in the timeline for the rebuild to be complete. Then again, having lost Ferland for the year, and Leivo out, it is a good trade (if he re-signs) that will help us now and going forward. Imagine the possibility of Tryamkin or something similar to add just a bit more and we could be a scary team peaking at the right time.

Having said all that, there are definitely moves still needed to be made, both if we want to add any more this year and in the following year(s) with our cap the way it is. I'll wait to see how it all shakes out rather than panic or even really worry about losing a nice prospect in Madden and not having a pick in the first two rounds this coming draft.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

No offense, but I think the Kings have a lot more to fear in Van than Van has to fear in them.

• Cheers 3