The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We’ve had Petey for two years and Huggy for one.  That’s our elite 2 core guys.  We needed two more young guys to go with them before trading futures for support players.  The trade values are fair.  The players are both good.  The timing though is too soon.  It’s wasting assets needed in two years.  

I think this trade is an overpayment because there is only one year remaining on Toffoli’s contract. Toffoli is not as skilled as Miller. I worry about his speed as well. Pearson is not very quick which affects his forecheck and back check. If Toffoli plays fast the Horvat line should do well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Top prospects. Like Hunter Shinkaruk and Jonathan Dahlin. Where they at now? Clearly the Canucks, who I assume know more than we do, thought they were in a good enough position to trade a 150 lb centerman who although is having a fine season in college, may or may never play in the league. 

It’s not about the fairness our value of the trade.  It’s about the timing.  Our young core, as many point out here, is still maturing.  We need those assets to use for trades to get support players when our young core is ready to compete for a Cup.  It’s too soon now.  In three seasons when our young core is mature enough to compete for a Cup, where will Miller and Tofoli be?  The picks given up to get them and Madden could be used at that time to get support players.  

• Wat 2

13 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

To be honest, I'm not really on the "negative nancy" bandwagon.

I was a huge fan of the J.T. Miller trade. Trading a 1st round pick for a swiss-army player on a great contract is an excellent move.

Trading a top-end prospect and a high pick for a rental on a "bubble" time is a bad move.

It's more rational than negative.

Good thing we trade a top-end prospect then. Madden is a B level prospect at best. 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Again with the Sutter critics.

That guy is worth every penny he's paid. 

Up and down the line up.

Arguably the most respected and vocal leader on the team.

Great penalty killer.

Wins tonnes of face offs.

Physical.

200 ft. player.

On and on.

Among all things, Physical?  Sutter?  lol

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Tystick said:

No reason Toffoli wouldn't sign in Van unless his desire his max dollar max term.

Guy is entering his prime, probably wants another chance at the cup, Kings are obviously about to rebuild. 

We're not there yet but we're close.

Can't see why he wouldnt consider it.

Maybe he doesn't like rain, high taxes and travel? 

Maybe he likes big cities like NY and LA?

He'll consider it for sure just so many variables.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

Warhippy: shuffling off Schallers 2.1 million contract (last year remaining) was a huge coup. Waiving him and clearing $900k/2.1m from the books would not have been good enough!

Losing a 4th liners salary and term like Schallers was crucial and is a good thing.

Is that news to you or?  

10 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Completely useless fact....Bure had 31 in 1994. He was so good!

Are you suggesting that secondary scoring isn't important in the playoffs?  I suggest looking at what LAs 2nd and 3rd lines did to us in 2012, or what they Toffoli and Pearson did during the Kings' most recent cup win.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

We are about to get slaughtered by Vegas.

Who cares? We weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year! The further we go this year, the better. We're still developing, and we're doing a LOT better than most "experts" predicted. This will be a great development year for our younger players and help towards building a winning culture. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes and no.

If we have to use LTIR over and above the cap limit, then it means we are not banking any cap space for performance bonuses. And these bonuses may be quite large this year and next year. This means if Ferland remains on LTIR it will absolutely affect the Canucks and our cap situation.

Once you are over the cap limit and into LTIR then it doesn't really matter how far over you are on LTIR. For example, TOR didn't necessarily want more LTIR but since they were already over they could take some assets from another team along with the additional player on LTIR.

So LTIR does have a negative effect on paying for performance bonuses and teams don't want to be using LTIR for that reason, unless they have to. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that Benning has a plan for dealing with that, which we don't know about. We have players who won't likely be with the team next year (Eriksson), who will free up room for those bonuses.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s not about the fairness our value of the trade.  It’s about the timing.  Our young core, as many point out here, is still maturing.  We need those assets to use for trades to get support players when our young core is ready to compete for a Cup.  It’s too soon now.  In three seasons when our young core is mature enough to compete for a Cup, where will Miller and Tofoli be?  The picks given up to get them and Madden could be used at that time to get support players.  

How do you know that Miller and/or Taffoli won’t be here in 3 years, contributing to this team. How do you know Miller still won’t be in his prime? Just because most players fizzle out after 30? You are strictly assuming without factual evidence to back up your claims. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Miller Petey Jake

Pearson Bo Toffoli

Roussel AG Sutter

LE Beagle Mac

I'll take that as a bandaid lineup.  This move keeps them as legit div leaders as they wait for Boeser and Motte to get back

Miller Petey Boeser

Pearson Bo Toffoli

Sutter AG Jake

Roussel Beagle Motte

Noice

I think moving Schaller (I know how we all loved him here) but Green did like to lean on him. Kinda speaks a bit about how MacEwen is playing. Management putting some confidence in the guy. I know it was to get under the cap but I can’t help but think Mac’s play has earned him a spot. At least while there’s a couple guys out

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Losing a 4th liners salary and term like Schallers was crucial and is a good thing.

Is that news to you or?  

Are you suggesting that secondary scoring isn't important in the playoffs?  I suggest looking at what LAs 2nd and 3rd lines did to us in 2012, or what they Toffoli and Pearson did during the Kings' most recent cup win.

No.

I am suggesting Bure was really good. Didn't care about your post it just reminded me of 1994 and that great run. No idea way it twigged my memory.

3 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Finally, got some content for an actual conversation.

a) Motte was a Hobey Baker finalist on a stacked Michigan team. Connor and Compher both finished ahead of him in points, and that team also had Werenski. 

The NCAA developed Quinn Hughes and Gaudette so it's not some "farce" league. There was no discussion of Pods and Hoglander, but Madden was still a top prospect on the team. He's carrying Northeastern on his back.

b) It's the classic "truculence" obsession on CDC. I really thought this was a thing of the past, especially after we drafted Pettersson and Hughes. Tyler Toffoli isn't going to defend Pettersson on the same level as Martin or Hughes. If the Canucks wanted "truculence", they should've went after Blake Coleman or Wayne Simmonds.

c) Many on CDC have this weird obsession with weight. You can build a skilled team that is complemented with tougher players. Toffoli isn't the grit you are looking for though, so I have no idea where this conversation enters the fray. If the Canucks traded Madden for a young power forward, it's a completely different situation. 

d) The trade does improve if Toffoli re-signs, but that is up in the air on either side.

yeah

The chances of Madden ever playing in Van were very slim.  So, he turned that asset into a top 6 fwd in a playoff push.  Isn't that what all the tankers advocate for?  Asset management?

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Maybe he doesn't like rain, high taxes and travel? 

Maybe he likes big cities like NY and LA?

He'll consider it for sure just so many variables.

Tofoli is a rental.  We don’t have cap room to sign guys like Marky and Tanev.  This was 100% JB replacing an injured Bess.  

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The chances of Madden ever playing in Van were very slim.  So, he turned that asset into a top 6 fwd in a playoff push.  Isn't that what all the tankers advocate for?  Asset management?

asset management is not necessarily saying 'oh this asset will never play for us so lets give him up for a rental'

Edited by The.Burrowers
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't get a Toffoli for nothing.  Madden was a longshot, at best, and three years away from even the possibility of being in Van, imo.

No very true. Do like the player. Could work out just fine , just a bit of a shock to the system.  I think he will fit in well here. I was just a Madden fan is all, but at least we have a known quantity in Toffoli. Given a change of scenery,  he may even be better then we anticipate,  like Miller has been. I do trust Jims judgment for the most part. 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1