Sign in to follow this  
-Vintage Canuck-

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is a terrible line of thinking that will just lead to more problems down the line.

Do you want MORE dead cap space when we want to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes? Because that would be how you get it.

Just because you don't understand the "accounting" side of management doesn't mean it's not important. 

i'm sure you will explain it to me

go ahead

do you use line of credit?
that is all bumping bonuses amounts to

it allows you to manage expenses outside of strict repayment plan

this are minor amounts

but feel free to make a mountain out of them

i'm sure you will try to

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

There's nothing illegal in informing someone that they will be playing in Utica next season, a LOOOONNNNGGGG way from where his family lives.

If you think that's illegal, you need to be talking to a different lawyer.  

Sending him down isn't what you said. 

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

Slightly relieved that it's not one of the higher calibre prospects but not sure we're at the stage to be trading picks and prospects for players just yet. Jim must've been feeling the heat for some of our late performances. 

Or is not convinced ferland will ever bolster our top 6. Toffoli is an awesome pickup, and the more i have thought about this, Madden is an acceptable causality for him. We have enough depth to make this trade a win. 

Just now, Alflives said:

You’re pretty sure there is a plan in place to sign all our coming free agents?  Explain this plan.  

And im not delusional; I’m drunk. :P

Well yeah that’s why he’s a general manager or an NHL team getting paid millions of dollars. 

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

2 things here,

other than the Sedins and Pronger, (2x2 OA +3OA) who did Burke ever draft?

and we might recoup the 4th, but Jim has shown no skill at recouping high picks, we don't have an extra Bieksa hanging around to trade for  a 2nd and I don't see Loui, Sutter, Leivo or Benn pulling in a 2nd, but we'll see, I guess

Kes

Just now, Horvat is a Boss said:

Sending him down isn't what you said. 

No, its not what I said, but there are many ways to "encourage" someone to retire, and there's nothing at all illegal about it. 

Eriksson can't keep up, even if the Canucks buy him out, he would have a lot of trouble getting a contract with any other team in the NHL at this point. Which would equal, retirement.

A few things to take from this deal. Seems like a vote of confidence somewhat for Gaudette. Madden isn't likely to beat out Horvat or EP anytime soon, so 3C was his best chance. Focht's season so far likely has us feeling confident with him as an insurance center prospect. Will be curious if we try to get Karlsson and/or Costmar to come over next season.

Toffoli is another top 6 player (remember when we got one of those in Miller? And look at how Pearson has turned out so far) that is on pace for one of his better seasons in his career on a terrible LA team. This likely spells the end of a LE experiment in the top 6. Will be interesting to see where Boeser fits when he returns back from injury, but could also be some bad news on when his return may be.

Losing Schaller was likely done for cap reasons, but also could mean Motte is close to returning and fills a PK void. MacEwen also likely has earned a longer look in the bottom 6 at least.

I wonder if we can even afford to re-sign Toffoli for next season. Could mean that Ferland likely may not be returning ever again, but will be curious how else we will be handling the cap.

• Hydration 1

15 minutes ago, The.Burrowers said:

asset management is not necessarily saying 'oh this asset will never play for us so lets give him up for a rental'

Im sure they are confident they can re sign him. Who knows , maybe there was more to moving Madden then we think. Even if there isn't,  Toffoli is a very good addition.  

• Hydration 1

My only real wish was that we unloaded Baertschi instead of Schaller.

We needed to give up dead cap with term in order to have any chance of re-signing the guy or a replacement.

• Hydration 1

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

He literally posts on here for a living. 

Scotch and CDC 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are far off, and going to get farther away if JB continues trading away top prospects and picks to just get into the playoffs.  

I don’t understand this. How does keeping all of our top prospects and picks actually help us move into the window of “win now”

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is a terrible line of thinking that will just lead to more problems down the line.

Do you want MORE dead cap space when we want to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes? Because that would be how you get it.

Just because you don't understand the "accounting" side of management doesn't mean it's not important. 

what Coastal is saying I think is that it is not for us fans to worry about,  thats why the organization has a group that knows more than us fans

• Hydration 1

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

That's a hel lof a price tp pay. Madden is enough without all of the adds

Wait...what?!   You wanted to keep Schaller?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

i'm sure you will explain it to me

go ahead

do you use line of credit?
that is all bumping bonuses amounts to

it allows you to manage expenses outside of strict repayment plan

this are minor amounts

but feel free to make a mountain out of them

i'm sure you will try to

You can't just bump bonuses as far down the line as you want. They will count next year whether you want them to or not. They will also count the year after that no matter what. 

With Pettersson and Hughes, the maximum amount of overages there could be is 3.7 million if Pettersson hits some league wide targets (top 10 in league scoring, etc.). The least it can be is 1.7 million if we don't bank any cap space all year. That's not insignificant. 

Again, if it's avoidable, why is having dead cap space at a time when cap space is extremely importance not a bad thing?

• Like 1

I hear what fans are saying that it's too early to give to get because the core isn't ready, but Canucks have long moved on from that.  Anybody recall if the Canucks have ever really done a tear it all the way down kind of rebuild in their history, i can't recall, they've always seemed to retool on the fly.  Also, I can't think of one team in the Western Conference that is currently the working parts of a tear it all the way down kind of rebuild, can you?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Every season, we hear about how we won't have cap space, and every season, we wind up with enough cap space to cover things. It always works out, we always have other players who wind up on LTIR, it happens EVERY year, without exception.

I didn't say we wouldn't have cap space to fit cover things. JB will have to find the space to cover things, it's a requirement of the league and cap system.

I was referring to your comments to another poster:

"You're making me think that you don't fully understand how LTIR works. Basically, the 3.5 million does not exist unless / until Ferland resumes his career.

In a really odd way, having someone on LTIR, actually gives the team more flexibility"

First you belittle the poster regarding LTIR, then you show that you don't understand it yourself. Now you're trying to change the subject into "I am sure JB will make it work" "It always works out"...

My point is that you should have more respect for other posters if you don't know what you are talking about yourself.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I don’t understand this. How does keeping all of our top prospects and picks actually help us move into the window of “win now”

How does stumble now to get close to the playoffs....   help us move to the window of a Stanley Cup later if have to give up valuable long term assets in the process.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Comeback_Kings said:

I hear what fans are saying that it's too early to give to get because the core isn't ready, but Canucks have long moved on from that.  Anybody recall if the Canucks have ever really done a tear it all the way down kind of rebuild in their history, i can't recall, they've always seemed to retool on the fly.  Also, I can't think of one team in the Western Conference that is currently the working parts of a tear it all the way down kind of rebuild, can you?  

Beginning of Sedins' career.