The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Toronto says hi. 

Edmonton too.  That’s their McDavid dive to the bottom year, right?  Oh, and what’s Ottawa doing this year?  

Clearly our owner had enough of the whole rebuilding through the draft, and directed JB to get the team into the playoffs.  It doesn’t take a genius to connect the dots here, does it King?  Linden leaves, RFA signings galore, First rounder traded, and now Madden and a second for a rental.  JB is all in for this year, because if he’s not in the playoffs this year he won’t be around to deal with the consequences.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

So JB shouldn't try and make the team better?  Do you honestly think the team isn't much better today than they were yesterday?

lipstick-pig-illustration.jpg

Our club's main weakness is our D.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So what’s the plan?  How do we resign Marky, Tanev, Tofoli, and all our other guys due new (and more expensive) contracts?  If the goal is to build a team that can compete for a Cup over several season, what’s the plan to keep all our best players?  JB already said what the plan was.  He said last summer that as guys get too expensive he will replace them with young ELC players.  Now where do these young (and good enough to make a difference) ELC players come from.  Oh, that’s it!  They come from the draft, especially the first two rounds.  And sometimes they even come from a later round, like Tyler Madden.  Considering this is JB’s plan for coping with the cap, and being competitive over a several year period, can you not see why some posters are saying JB is selling the future to make the playoffs this season?  

Now saying all this, I want us to not only make the playoffs this season, but I want us to win the Cup too.  

He was referring to role players like Schaller, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Eriksson, and Pearson, who are in fact role players and not core players like JT Miller, that are the ones who will be replaced by younger, cheaper players. The Canucks have a plethora of young talent in the system now more so then they have ever had before and reality is there are only so many spots on this team available. Tyler Madden isn’t exactly selling the future simply because the Canucks already have 3 fine young centerman. Nor is trading a 1st round pick who may or may never play in the NHL for a core players in the prime of his year scoring at a PPG pace.  I’m don’t bantering back and forth with you for the evening but you are one negative poster who needs to get off these boards and step out and get some fresh air once in a while.

Edited by Pickly
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

So JB shouldn't try and make the team better?  Do you honestly think the team isn't much better today than they were yesterday?

Sure. Marginally better on the 2nd line. Is a temporary boost worth the long term negative impact? If this team was a contender, sure, it would be a great justified move. It is not a contender though, so it's irrelevant.

Shades of Derek Roy for a 2nd round pick + Connauton.  

Edited by RRypien37
  • Haha 2

Just now, rychicken said:

It might be 2 years now...I could see LA rushing him...things could be bleak there for awhile

I don't think so, but I agree his chances are much better in LA.  Honestly, as I've said, I like Madden but I didn't see a path to the NHL in Vancouver.

Just now, RRypien37 said:

Sure. Marginally better on the 2nd line. Is a temporary boost worth the long term negative impact? If this team was a contender, sure, it would be a great justified move. It is not a contender though, so it's irrelevant.

Shades of for Derek Roy for a 2nd round pick + Connauton.  

You think Taffoli is marginally better than Schaller?

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Edmonton too.  That’s their McDavid dive to the bottom year, right?  Oh, and what’s Ottawa doing this year?  

Clearly our owner had enough of the whole rebuilding through the draft, and directed JB to get the team into the playoffs.  It doesn’t take a genius to connect the dots here, does it King?  Linden leaves, RFA signings galore, First rounder traded, and now Madden and a second for a rental.  JB is all in for this year, because if he’s not in the playoffs this year he won’t be around to deal with the consequences.  

DING < DING , DING - We have a winner....

3 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Except this team doesn't belong in any arms race. It's not a contender. 

It may not be a contender today. But the young core needs playoff experience if they’re going to know how to win a championship. The only way they are going to get experience is if they actually make the playoffs and experience the amount of pressure, and tightness and lack of space on the ice etc. 

I am a firm believer of that saying where once you make the playoffs, anything can happen. Number 1 seeds have been known to be upsetted by lesser teams. 

• Cheers 1

Bad Trade... mortgaging the future for a short term rental.

This team is not ready to contend... maybe this will get them into the playoffs, but they won't go deep... they just don't have the experience.

The only way this could payoff with a long run is if Marky stands on his head in the playoffs... but the playoffs are a different rodeo for goalies...  lot more jostling, crease crashing and other physical play which has been shown to put Marky off his game.

Toffoli is a free agent this summer... the chances the Canucks can re-sign him in the off season is remote... they already have CAP problems.  What are they going to do when Ferland comes back off LTIR?  Toffoli is on a $4.6 million dollar contract... and it is unlikely he'll sign for less than $4.25.  Unless Ferland is ready to retire, this doesn't work.  Canucks also need to sign Tanev... otherwise they will have a hole in their D.  Not to mention Marky is going to cost a lot more.

Sorry, but this is a big error on the part of Benning.  Two picks and a prospect.  I don't see Schaller as a big loss... he was a bad signing anyway.  But those picks and Madden are not easily replaced.

Maybe Benning is getting pressure from the Aqualini's to make the playoffs... in that case, they are making a mistake... this move will backfire on the chances of this team to build a real contender with multiple years in the post season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Shades of Derek Roy for a 2nd round pick + Connauton.  

Marginally? Stick to UFC hockey isn't your thing.