The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No he isn't, you're panicking for no reason 

I sure hope so.  Fifty years of cheering for this team makes some fear the worst, because it seems to show up on our doorstep.  Kind of like trading Vaive and Derlago for Tiger.  And lots of other examples of impatience by our owner/management.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Bad Trade... mortgaging the future for a short term rental.

This team is not ready to contend... maybe this will get them into the playoffs, but they won't go deep... they just don't have the experience.

The only way this could payoff with a long run is if Marky stands on his head in the playoffs... but the playoffs are a different rodeo for goalies...  lot more jostling, crease crashing and other physical play which has been shown to put Marky off his game.

Toffoli is a free agent this summer... the chances the Canucks can re-sign him in the off season is remote... they already have CAP problems.  What are they going to do when Ferland comes back off LTIR?  Toffoli is on a $4.6 million dollar contract... and it is unlikely he'll sign for less than $4.25.  Unless Ferland is ready to retire, this doesn't work.  Canucks also need to sign Tanev... otherwise they will have a hole in their D.  Not to mention Marky is going to cost a lot more.

Sorry, but this is a big error on the part of Benning.  Two picks and a prospect.  I don't see Schaller as a big loss... he was a bad signing anyway.  But those picks and Madden are not easily replaced.

Maybe Benning is getting pressure from the Aqualini's to make the playoffs... in that case, they are making a mistake... this move will backfire on the chances of this team to build a real contender with multiple years in the post season.

I think theres less then a 50\50 chance Ferland ever returns. Maybe Jim is thinking of using his salary and moving another contract or two and actually being able to sign Toffoli. Everyone is a GM here and has no idea what JB is up too, I mean was anyone really predicting this move? I think not. We got the best player in the trade and are a better team moving forward

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  But what about in three years?  

Again, where would Madden have played Alf. Who would u like to have seen him replace exactly? Seriously, u don't think Madden and his agent might have been nervous we already have 3 young core centers? Explain where u think Madden would have become a full time centre on our roster. 

It's more like " who will be better in three years , Gaudette or Madden".  That is what the organization was asking themselves .The fact u don't see that sort of baffles me . 

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sbriggs said:

I think theres less then a 50\50 chance Ferland ever returns. Maybe Jim is thinking of using his salary and moving another contract or two and actually being able to sign Toffoli. Everyone is a GM here and has no idea what JB is up too, I mean was anyone really predicting this move? I think not. We got the best player in the trade and are a better team moving forward

Bingo

4 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Not to mention the fact we have 3 legit, young core centres already. Madden didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of beat out Gaudette for the third line centre position,  and he sure as hell would not be bumping Bo . So where would he have played ? Keep him in case we need a stop gap if one of those guys gets injured instead of Toffoli?  Anyone think Madden would be willing to be a secind/ third  line centre backup? There is ZERO chance that would have worked out IMO. 

And Jasek, who is looking very good.

I'm happy for Bo, he finally has a real line. I'm happy for the PP. I really like the line options. We still have tons of F depth with Motte close to returning. 

I do think Jim can recover a 2nd at the draft, maybe more. 

Now do something for our d group Jim :lol:

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Is that why they are free falling out of contention in their division and close to being a Wild Card team?

it's ok if you have no appreciation for the interesting things being done with salary cap management

i find it a bit fascinating

the real game is hockey

and we can talk about that separately from cap issues

the laffs are falling out mostly due to a lot of key injuries recently

starting goalie

#1 dman

etc.

they do lack depth .. . and so injuries impact them more

but i am not upset to see them fail

good if they are taken down a peg or 2

Edited by coastal.view

Re-uniting Toffoli and Pearson. Someone mentioned this before. Pat yourself on the back. Not too bad of a payment. Essentially Madden and a 2nd rounder for a top 6 RWer. Schaller is whatever and the 4th is pretty whatever. Losing Madden kinda stings, but if we can re-sign Toffoli I call this a big win. I can't wait to see our top 6 with Toffoli and a healthy Boeser.

Funny thing about the conditional 4th. Is it cause LA doesn't expect a re-sign? Figured they'd hold us over the coals more considering we are divisional rivals. Looking at the Blake Coleman deal I'd say Trader Jim is out here catching dubs. B) Tampa traded two 1st rounders for Coleman we paid essentially a 3rd rounder, a 2nd rounder and a 4th rounder in 2022 for Toffoli.

Edited by N7Nucks
  • Like 3

Could care less about losing Madden. Sure hes playing well but he had no chance of playing ctr for us anytime soon. Gauds is proving to be a solid 3rd line ctr for years to come.

We got a good player back and will have a very solid top 9 going into the playoffs.

With the addition of Toffoli we could be going into the playoffs with 2 very good powerplay lines.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

nope. I love Toffoli. I just hate giving away Madden. That will prove to be a 1 vs 1  in the future. Not to mention that 2nd pick...

gotta give to get, we got the best player in the deal and Madden hasn't ever played a game in the NHL

• Upvote 1

The great teams didn't surround their core players with younger players and win cups. They added veterns to lead the younger players to cups. This is a dangerous team with lots of depth and add a hot goalie and you never know what will happen. And as soon as the young players develop consistent efforts they will be a top tier team. rIGHT NOW THEY CAN BE A TOP TIER TEAM  one night and a bottom teir team the next. And I'm sure the Canucks have enough prospects to go forward. Madden will never be a top 3 player. He is just too small. Maybe in the regular season. But small forwards get beat up in the play-offs. Just ask Johnny  Flame kid.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

The great teams didn't surround their core players with younger players and win cups. They added veterns to lead the younger players to cups. This is a dangerous team with lots of depth and add a hot goalie and you never know what will happen. And as soon as the young players develop consistent efforts they will be a top tier team. rIGHT NOW THEY CAN BE A TOP TIER TEAM  one night and a bottom teir team the next. And I'm sure the Canucks have enough prospects to go forward. Madden will never be a top 3 player. He is just too small. Maybe in the regular season. But small forwards get beat up in the play-offs. Just ask Johnny  Flame kid.

The way Markstrom is playing this year, anything is possible!

• Like 1