The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

Just now, cuporbust said:

Again, where would Madden have played Alf. Who would u like to have seen him replace exactly? Seriously, u don't think Madden and his agent might have been nervous we already have 3 young core centers? Explain where u think Madden would have become a full time centre on our roster. 

It’s not about Madden playing on our team.  It’s about using the asset to bring in a support player when our young core is fully matured and ready to compete for a Cup.  Madden and a second this TDL.  A first and a third for Miller last June.  Both, in themselves, are very good trades, but now is not the time.  Our young core will need JB to support them with top players in three years.  Miller and Tofoli will both be gone, and the assets used to get them will be spent.  IMO these two trades shorten our window for a chance to win a Cup.  

Is our chance to win a Cup going to be better in three seasons when our young core is more mature?  Clearly the answer is yes.  That’s when these types of trades should be made.  Now we are less a first, a second, a third, and a highly regarded prospect.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Again, where would Madden have played Alf. Who would u like to have seen him replace exactly? Seriously, u don't think Madden and his agent might have been nervous we already have 3 young core centers? Explain where u think Madden would have become a full time centre on our roster. 

It's more like " who will be better in three years , Gaudette or Madden".  That is what the organization was asking themselves .The fact u don't see that sort of baffles me . 

Not to mention Sutter is also a very capable shut down Center.

1 minute ago, cuporbust said:

I am a Madden fan, but not as a replacement for Adam Gaudette.  I hate to see the kid go, but again, if it was a poker hand , the odds the kid would have replaced any of our top three centres in this decade was practically 7 2 off suit

I agree that it was pretty slim for Madden to have played centre with the Canucks. 

But he could've been moved to the wing, right? 

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

We got Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, etc. Losing Madden is alright, for now..

We'll see how it goes again. 

It's been a long time since the Canucks can make a deal like this, where they can use one of the prospects as part of a deal, in landing a legitimate top six player. 

Would fans rather Benning sent Podkolzin or Höglander in return the other way instead of Madden? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

We got Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, etc. Losing Madden is alright, for now..

We'll see how it goes again. 

I don't really care even if we lose Lind tbh....  Toffoli is one hell of a talent, got playoff experience.. and if we make this a fun ride for him and Pearson, he will wanna extend on a reasonable contract!! 

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree.  But what about in three years?  

Toffoli >>>> Madden. If your betting on a guy in the NHL with the resume of Toffoli over a guy who hasn't played 1 game in the NHL you'd have to drink a hell of alot to bet on Madden

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I am a Madden fan, but not as a replacement for Adam Gaudette.  I hate to see the kid go, but again, if it was a poker hand , the odds the kid would have replaced any of our top three centres in this decade was practically 7 2 off suit

of all of our quality prospects, if this is the one that had to go I'm fine with it. Madden's size isn't an issue in college but it could very well be in the NHL. No one knows. 

But I freaking absolutely love the idea of Pearson-Bo-Toffoli. I also love what this does to the quality of our bottom 6. Oh and the PP options. 

Maybe this was a high price, we really won't know for 2-3 years. 

• Cheers 3

Just now, Alflives said:

It’s not about Madden playing on our team.  It’s about using the asset to bring in a support player when our young core is fully matured and ready to compete for a Cup.  Madden and a second this TDL.  A first and a third for Miller last June.  Both, in themselves, are very good trades, but now is not the time.  Our young core will need JB to support them with top players in three years.  Miller and Tofoli will both be gone, and the assets used to get them will be spent.  IMO these two trades shorten our window for a chance to win a Cup.  

Is our chance to win a Cup going to be better in three seasons when our young core is more mature?  Clearly the answer is yes.  That’s when these types of trades should be made.  Now we are less a first, a second, a third, and a highly regarded prospect.  

A prospect that could very well be at his peak value , and all our young players are still mostly on ELC's. I have absolutely no issues personally with Benning giving these kids a legit shot at playoffs,  and moving out a kid who would probably have never played here, and a pick that, if Benning feels is worth it , can be recouped with moving other players that are deemed expendable after the playoff push. That's my opinion.  Yes , i would love to have kept both the pick, and Madden, but we got a great winger in return that , to me , is well worth the price at this point in time. 

• Upvote 1

ok

so we got toffoli

that is a good get at this time of the season

i hope people realize he is not jt miller

not close, don't expect the same things from him

he is more like pearson

will be productive

but a bit uneven

but he is fills out the top 6 now

but likely is the 6th best player in the top 6

ep40